Головна

Ex. 539. A. Read and translate the sentences. State the functions of Gerunds.

1.  A) translate the illustrative examples into Russian;
  2.  A. Code. Developed in 1 965 at Dartmouth College in the United States for use by students who require a simple language to begin programming.
  3.  According to the text, which of the following statements about American food
  4.  Activity 5. Ask your classmate questions about the ratifications of the Convention and Protocols thereto by members states of the Council of Europe.
  5.  Applied Sciences and technologies in the United States and Europe: common challenges and scientific findings
  6.  Arrange the words to make negative sentences.
  7.  Article 14. State information systems

1. Giving presents is one of the most possessive things we do, did you realize that? It's the way we keep a hold on other people. 2. Watching movies on my VCR late at night has become an important way for me to relax. 3. Cora was in the kitchen making sandwiches. Making sandwiches took her thoughts off her problems. 4. "There's no knowing where they're going," cried Mr. Wonka, hooting with laughter. "You can imagine that I'm not overpleased, but there's no escaping it in the long run." 5. Answering the seemingly simple question is very difficult. 6. You had better not count on her. There's no predicting her mood. 7. Driving a car and talking on the car phone at the same time demand care. 8. Smoking when pregnant harms your baby. 9. Having a child has been a turning point for me. 10. There was no talking to Celeste once she got her back up. The less she said, the better. 11. Being so emotional herself, forever telling him that she loved him and often having to drag a response from him, frustrated her. 12. Loving a man who did not love her was a waste of time. 13. Having coffee together has become a daily ritual with the two of them. 14. It's a well-known fact that black makes you look slimmer, but wearing it top to toe can be very ageing, and choosing to wear it all the time is boring. 15. Remembering that particular day, so long ago now, still affected her deeply. 16. Papermaking began in China and from there spread to North Africa and Europe. 17. Banking was in his blood. Centuries of it, passed down from father to son.

B. Speak about your hobbies, likes and dislikes, your everyday activities. What is a must for you and what is not?

Ex. 540.Translate into English.

1. Вивчення іноземної мови - важка, але цікава робота. 2. Відсутність прогресу - це регрес. 3. Вибір професії найважливіший крок у житті кожної людини. 4. Звернутись до ними невідкладно - питання життя і смерті. 5. Займатися пересудами - улюблене заняття не тільки жінок, але й чоловіків. 6. Мене не проведеш. Навіть не намагайся зробити це. 7. Вирощування полуниці стало її пристрастю. 8. Він був так упертий. І переконати його було неможливо. 9. Купання у крижаній воді мало не вбило мене. 10. Сваритися і миритися - улюблене заняття моїх сусідів-молодят. 11. Дістатися до суті справи - це було все, чого він хотів. І зупинити його вже було неможливо. 12. Заводити романи - це не по моїй частині. 13. Викладання - не дуже вдячна робота. І заперечувати цього не можна. 14. Вдаватися до спогадів про минуле - марна трата часу. Адже назад дороги немає. 15. Ніколи не скажеш, що вона може викинути в наступний момент. 16. В'язання, як кажуть психіатри, заспокоює нерви.

Ex 541. Read and translate the sentences. Comment on the motions of the verbals.

1. His hobby is collecting mushrooms. 2. The key in life is setting goals. 3. The best part of Tacitus is reading between the lines. 4. What he loves best in the world is meeting old friends. 5. "Hedonism," says the dictionary, "means seeking pleasure as a way of life." 6. Her favourite pastime is daydreaming. 7. My only hope is winning the lottery. 8. What teachers usually dislike most is cheating. 9. The most difficult thing in this life is choosing. 10. My first job was delivering flowers to people. You've never seen so many smiles on so many faces. 11. My dentist said, "The secret to a good life is being happy with what you have." But he got married five times, the last time to one of his patients. The people who know keep silent, and those who do not keep giving advice. 12. Sometimes the hardest part of writing is getting started. Looking at a sheet of blank white paper is like looking at a snow-covered car on an icy winter morning and wondering if the engine will turn over.

Ex 542. Read and translate the sentences. Comment on the ctions of the Gerunds.

1. Stop spreading the news, will you? 2. She keeps saying she has got out of practice, but as a matter of fact she had nothing to get out of. 3.1 can not stop believing in you! 4. Sandy kept trying to get in touch with them until there was no hope left. 5. After that we stopped exchanging letters. 6. He kept begging me for money for a new bicycle and in the end I had to give in. 7. Make her stop screaming, doctor. 8. My English teacher keeps on saying that I need to expand my vocabulary. 9. "And Teddy dear, there's Maxim to think of, the boy needs so much. If you do not stop worrying, you'll drive yourself mad." 10. Whenever you are ready to start talking again, I am here to listen. 11. It would save them money in the long run; they would not have to keep replacing staff all the time. 12. She could not help wishing that things were somewhat different. 13. You must stop smoking here, right now, Ted!

Ex. 543.Translate into English.

1. Захоплення - це читання, рішення кросвордів танці і в'язання. 2. Він не міг втриматися, щоб не сказати їй як вона хороша. 3. Коли ж ви закінчите сперечатися! Адже сперечатися - це даремно витрачати час. 4. Я не можу дозволити цим людям змушувати мого сина робити все, що вони хочуть. 5. Ви повинні добре подумати, перш ніж почнете працювати на цю фірму. 6. Його звичайні заняття - це написання листів, гуляння з собакою, гра в шашки з друзями. 7. Він продовжував вести себе так, ніби нічого не сталося. 8. Перестаньте звертатися зі мною так, наче я дитина! 9. Потім вони стали розповідати про останні події в їхньому містечку. 10. Вам не потрібно нічого пояснювати мені. Я бачу, в чому суть. 11. Їм довелося вжити екстрених заходів, щоб уникнути скандалу. 12. Її найбільше задоволення - танцювати.

Ex. 544.Read and translate the sentences. State the functions of the Gerunds.

1. Celeste enjoyed winning more than losing. 2.1 hate being left alone on weekends. 3. Would you mind wiping your feet before entering? 4. We feel like celebrating today. 5.1 would not mind rearranging the furniture, after all, but papering, that's the limit! 6. My boss hates being pushed into doing things. 7. Omar's guests do not feel like eating his over-spiced oriental dishes. 8. I like interpreting at conferences but I do not like sitting up too late after them. 9.1 do not understand why people enjoy reading about disasters at the breakfast table Surely I'm not one of them. 10.1 distinctly remember telling you that I needed you here with me. 11.1 companionship. I do not really like being alone or comming home to an empty house. 12. My nerves do not need

calming. 13. "The Cat and Fiddle" is an English pub, only worth visiting if the weather's good. 14. My piano needs tuning and polishing. 15. Do you think Bob's trouser leg still worth invisible mending? 16. The water in this area requires filtering.

Ex 545. Insert the necessary prepositions

1. There's no point ... contradicting women, is there? 2. Think twice ... selling the house, will you? 3. Do not be frightened ... making decisions and ... taking initiative. 4. Excuse me ... rushing you around like that. 5. He is addicted ... drinking. 6. It's really rather late ... ringing people up. 7. I'm terribly keen ... watching fashion shows. 8. She is mad ... cooking. Imagine the amount of time she loses ... cooking. 9.1 am far ... exaggerating, I'm just stating facts. 10. He blamed himself ... not having seen the spot before, and still more ... having lit the fire himself. 11. I am used ... eating salads and drinking juices. 12. Stars are getting huge money ... acting and producing. 13. She is thinking ... hiring someone to clean her apartment. 14. You should have seen her face ... being caught red-handed. 15. Score one for the Brits! ... Creating a most unique vehicle ... combining refined elegance and brute strength - The Range Rover.

Ex 546. Read and translate the sentences. Comment on the Gerunds.

1. He hates the very thought of cleaning. 2. Her husband seems to have a somewhat false impression of her art of cooking. 3. He feels the need of pouring out his heart. 4.1 trained with a small firm, where I was able to learn the nitty-gritty of running a small business. 5. Next comes the question of fulfilling the plan. 6. In the past few years technology has changed our ways of working. 7. Persuasion is the art of getting other people to do something or to believe something without being compelled to do so. 8. Companies generally welcome the idea of ??job-sharing. 9. Fanny asked me to keep an eye on her things with the idea of ??showing that she trusted me. 10. She has a nasty habit of guessing, and the trouble is, she's often right. 11. They had a million-to-one chance of making it. 12. There is little hope of receiving a message from them soon. 13. At 60, Norris is comfortable with the idea of ??growing older. 14. Believe me, I have no intention of giving up my business. 15. He wanted a wife. He did not relish the idea of ??living alone for the rest of his life. 16. The actor was stunned not only by the noise of booing but also by the sight of flying tomatoes. 17. Once more he scotched the idea of ??opening a store in New York.

Ex. 547. Complete the following sentences

1. Shall I ever have the chance ...? 2. The quickest way ... 3. Is there any hope ...? 4.1 always marvel at his art ... 5. Melanie had a talent ... 6. The fear ... paralyzed him. 7. They could not get used to the perspective ... 8. The dealers seized the opportunity ... 9. You mast certainly give up the habit ... 10.1 have not the slightest intention ... 11. Nobody appreciated the idea ... 12. Why did not you even take the trouble ...? 13. At the party we had the pleasure ... 14. What are the latest methods ...? 15. Will you take the risk ...?

Ex. 548. Translate into English

1. Вам слід відмовитися від думки поїхати на південь влітку. 2, Я впевнена, що у мене є шанс виграти в цій лотереї. 3. У школярів є погана звичка малювати щось на столах. 4. У моєї бабусі хороша звичка випити чашку кефіру перед сном-5. Сьогодні у мене потреба висловитися, вилити душу. 6. Даси ти мені шанс коли-небудь побачити тебе знову? 7. Ризик бути спійманим на гарячому лякав його. 8. Перспектива залишатися все літо в задушливому місті не радує мене. 9. Даси ти мені шанс довести тобі, що я не винен? 10. У жінок талант вдох-

новлять чоловіків на великі подвиги. 11. Найпростіший спосіб розвитку будь-якої думки - це рухатися від загального до конкретного. 12. У Фреда мистецтво переконувати людей. 13. У нього не було наміру обговорювати своє особисте життя з ким би то не було. 14. У мене враження, що мене обманюють. 15. Мало надії, що клімат зміниться на краще.

Ex. 549.Read and translate the sentences. Comment on the functions of the Gerunds.

I. Many Eastern people have a habit of using up the nervous energy that concentrates in the fingers and hands by fingering worry beads. 2. Daniel hesitated before making his final decision. 3. One learns by failing. 4. Drink nothing without seeing it, sign nothing without reading it. 5. They preferred to scrape a living by catching crab, lobster and crayfish. 6.1 roasted some chickenpieces without allowing them to get brown. 7. After closing the folder, the doctor went on briskly. "All right, then, let's start by getting the tests done." 8. The family expected Maxim to do the right thing by marrying the right kind of woman one day. 9. After searching the entire house I happened to find the key in the coat pocket. 10. Peace and happiness begin, gastronomically speaking, where garlic is used in cooking.

II. Generally speaking, the idea is worth considering. 12. Instead of stopping, the storm raged for two more days. 13. Before approaching the rope, I suddenly fell into the icy pond. 14. In writing the test she made too many mistakes. 15. On hearing the sad news she burst into tears. 16. In spite of being busy, the headmaster spoke to us.

Ex. 550.Use a Gerund instead of the subordinate clause

1. He wrote that he would come back at the end of the war. 2.1 remember that I met her at the concert. 3. After I bought the book I left the shop. 4.1 am sorry that I kept you waiting. 5. They have given up all hope that they will ever see their native land again. 6 They stood for a moment. They did not say a word 7 Everybody shook hands and got down to business. 8. When the child entered the room, he happily smiled at his parents. 9 Andrew feels all right now. He was operated on a month ago. 10. He remembered that he had seen the girl several times at the entrance exams. 11. She didn t feel as if she would ever forgive him. 12. You will get nothmg from him if you reproach him all the time. 13. Brian kept silent for fear that he might be misunderstood 14 Once he decides something, it is impossible to talk him out of it. 15. It was good luck that I was there and then 16 He came into the room very angry and did not even greet us. 17. Barbara felt much better after she had given him a piece of her mind. 18. She escaped danger as she listened to intuition.

Ex. 551.Read and translate the sentences Find complexes with the Gerund and define their functions

1 I would not mind his running around with girls, if he were doing well at school. 2. And what about our changing roles for once? 3. There is no danger of me telling our secret to friends- I have jo friends 41 insist on your showing me your work today 5. My having failed merely made me try again. 6. Your advertising yourself continually is vulgar 7. There is no doubt of his having mastered English thoroughly. 8 His friends 'betraying him filled him with bitterness. 9 'Her only regret was that she would miss all those years of her son's growing up, the wonderful years. 10. Apart from my putting my seat belt around my neck, the flight was uneventful. 11. The fear of their taking advantage of him never crossed his mind. 12. After his breaking our engagement I have nothing to do with him. 13. The quietness of the house was broken by the children driving their toy cars on the floor 14 I do not want to run the risk of my house being robbed. 15. Is it wortn while my calling them?

Ex 552. Insert a pronoun where necessary

1. I object to ... interfering in their family life. It's none of my business. 2. I object to ... interfering in my personal life. They are just neighbours. 3. They were keen on ... winning the match. We deserved it. 4. We are keen on ... winning the game. They are a nice team. 5. Simon never mentioned ... letting him down. He just forgave them. 6. Daniel once mentioned ... letting them down. He still felt guilty. 7. Excuse me for ... calling you so late. But I need you badly. 8. Excuse ... calling you in the middle of the night. They needed you urgently. 9.1 remember ... meeting her once. 10. I can not remember ... ever meeting each other. They live in different countries. 11. Everybody blamed the fellow for ... abusing his children. 12. We are against ... being ordered about. We are not slaves. 13. Mary and Henry are against ... children being vaccinated this year. 14. My friends forgot ... promising to call on me. I had a lonely evening. 15. She completely forgot ... promising to drop in and went for a walk. They came but there was no one at home.

Ex 553. Use a complex with a Gerund instead of the subordinate clauses.

1.1 remember that the children looked through the album last Sunday. 2. Mum suggested that we should make up. 3. Nancy insists that her father should allow her to keep a monkey as a pet. 4. My sister is very displeased that I have broken her favourite cup. 5.1 insist that you should tell us what the real reason is. 6. Helen was confused that we were watching her. 7. There is a chance that my family will move to another city. 8. Do you mind if they join us? 9. The police have no objection that the man should be set free. 10. Do you remember that they promised to call us? 11. It may upset you to know that Rita is leaving soon. 12. Fancy how Boris appeared here all of a sudden! 13. I'm trying to tell you I have no objection if you see Jim. 319

Ex. 554.Translate into English

1. Ми покладаємося на те, що всі прийдуть вчасно. 2. Я розраховую на те, що факс відправлять зараз же. 3. Вона відповідає за те, щоб всі папки були в порядку. 4. Ро ки були проти того, щоб діти влаштовували шум. ву вечірку. 5. Я зовсім не заперечую, щоб ви користувалися моїм принтером. 6. Я не виношу, ко-ли люди погано говорять про інших за їх спиною. 7. Ніхто не вимагає, щоб ви брали участь в переговорах. 8. Не заперечуйте, що Чарльз втрутився в цю справу. 9. Всі наполягали на тому, що проект повинен бути фінансований комітетом. 10. Я незадоволена, що ти знову зробила цю помилку. 11. Лікар наполягає, що хворому потрібно пробути в лікарні ще тиждень. 12. Вони погодилися, що поліцейські були дуже оперативні. 13. Я пам'ятаю, як Керол одного разу сказала, що вона пише романи. 14. Вона не могла винести думку, що хтось може вкрасти її щастя. 15. Все моє майбутнє залежало від того, чи підтримають мене близькі.

Ex. 555.Read and translate the texts Comment on the form and function of the Gerunds

1.1 loved working on the fishing boat, with long periods of doing nothing, and then the hurly-burly of putting in the nets. 2. All over the world, Microsoft Office is helping drive businesses forward by making it easier for anyone to get their job done, no matter what that job might be. By bringing together top applications Office gives people the ability to find the best, most productive way to work. 3. Mrs. Cracklin accused Father of selling diseased cheese and rotten eggs. Father got rid of her by threatening to inform the authorities that she kept lodgers.

4. There was no stopping the boy now. "See you later, alligator!" he shouted. "I'm going to be the first person in the world to be sent by television." 5. Eating is his hobby, you know. That's all he's interested in. But still that's better than being a hooligan, is not it? And what I always say is, he would not go on eating like he does unless he needed nourishment, would he? 6. She had a knack of twisting her husband around her little finger, getting her way with him. But she had come to understand that there was no letting him down in any way. 7. Well, that's a matter of opinion. One calls it killing time, another relaxation. What's your way of looking at it? And is it worth while living that way?

Ex 556. Translate into English

1. Її батьки проти того, щоб вона повідомляла зараз всім про свої заручини. 2. Я пам'ятаю, що мама часто дорікала мені в дитинстві за те, що я була неакуратна. 3. - Працюючи з магнітофоном, ви можете поліпшити свою вимову. - Само собою зрозуміло, що це вірно. 4. Який же ти ледар! Ти навіть не потрудився вимити за собою чашку! 5. Чому ви уникаєте вживати неособисті форми дієслова в промові? 6. Що завадило вам піти туди самому? 7. Почувши радісну новину, дівчина не могла втриматися, щоб не розплакатися. 8. Методи тестування знань студентів не завжди ефективні. 9. Ніколи не визначиш, в якому вона настрої. 10. Завжди неприємно, коли людина розмовляє, чи не дивлячись вам в очі. 11. - Щось мені не хочеться сьогодні займатися. Як ти вважаєш, чи варто йти в суботу на лекцію? - Це тобі вирішувати. 12. Ми подякували йому за те, що він нам допоміг.

Ex 557. Translate into English

1. Не можу не захоплюватися роботами цього художника. З нетерпінням буду чекати його нових робіт! 2. Мені подобається думка провести пару тижнів на Селігері. І ми розраховуємо на те, що ви приєднаєтеся до нас. 3. - Який найефективніший шлях оволодіння іноземною мовою? - Ви можете отримати хороші знання, працюючи над ним регулярно, день та вдень. 4. Я не звикла рано вставати вранці Ранній підйом змушує мене відчувати себе розбитою. 5. Перед ним відкривалося блискуче майбутнє. Він не міг не посміхнутися при думці про попер. стоїть поїздку до Вашингтона. 6. Перестаньте робити непотрібні зупинки, коли ви читаєте. Ваше читання залишає бажати кращого. 7. Ми перестали працювати і вийшли на вулицю. По дорозі додому ми зупинилися, щоб прочитати кілька смішних оголошень. 8. - А чи варто взагалі плисти по Темзі в таку дощову погоду? - Так, хотілося б, щоб погода була краще, але погоду не поміняєш. 9. Вона повністю опанувала мистецтво нічого не робити. Вона жила, немов у неї не було турбот, ніби вона все життя купалася в розкоші. 10. Увійшовши до будинку, вона подумала, що якби була багата, то обставила б його зовсім по-іншому.

B. Now put the Gerunds in the sentences |  The Infinitive and the Gerund

Ought to |  Had Better, Would Rather |  How Honest Are You? |  The Infinitive |  B. Complete the following sentences |  B. Complete the following sentences |  A Feminist Classic from the Early '70s |  What Is This Life? |  Ex 513. A. Read and translate the sentences Comment on the form function of the Infinitives |  Ex 516. A. Read and translate the sentences. Define the function of Infinitives. |

© 2016-2022  um.co.ua - учбові матеріали та реферати