Ãîëîâíà

F) CLAUSES

1.  GRAMMAR FOCUS: Clauses of time and condition
  2.  II. Find as many clauses of time as possible in the book you are reading. Pay attention to the conjunctions and verb-forms used.
  3.  Paraphrase the sentences using participles instead of italicized clauses
  4.  Relative clauses
  5.  Replace the italicised adverbial clauses of time by the appropriate form of the Participle using the model
  6.  Replace the italicised adverbial clauses of time by the appropriate form of the Participle using the models

The use of articles with countable nouns modifiedby clauses.Nouns can be modified by two kinds of clauses - attributive (A)and appositive (B).They may be introduced by the relative pronouns who, whose, which and that, by the relative adverbs where and when or asyndetically.

A. Attributive clausesqualify the noun. They can be of two types:

Non-defining clauses (A / THE) Modify the noun and can be removed from the sentence without destroying its meaning. They are marked by a pause separating them from the principal clause. In writing they may be separated by a comma. These clauses are never joined to the principal clause asyndetically.

Non-defining clauses are always descriptive and do not influence the choice of the article which is determined by other factors (the context and other attributes).

She told me that she had discovered a wonderful young man, who was going to help her in the East End.

She asked me a question, which I did not hear.

When he at last got to the office, where he spent so many dull hours,he gave a sigh of relief.

2) Defining clauses (A / THE)disclose the meaning of the noun; they are so closely connected with the antecedent that they can not be left out without destroying the meaning of the sentence. There is no pause between this kind of clause and the principal clause, and in writing they are never marked off by a comma. Such clauses may be joined to the principal clause either by connective words or asyndetically.

Defining clauses may be:

limiting (The definite article is used with the antecedent)

e.g. He took the cigarette that Robert offered him.

Inthe back of her mind was the memory that it was the city her friend came from.

InRussian the antecedent in this case may be modified by the words òîé ñàìèé ... ÿêèé.

Descriptive (the article with the antecedent is determined by the context or the situation)

She stared at me with an expression that made me uncomfortable.

"It's not a story I could tell anyone else,Harry, "he said.

As a girl my mother had expected a husband who would give her love and position.

InRussian the antecedent in this case may be modified by the words òàêèé, ÿêèé ..., òàêîãî ðîäó (òèïó), ÿêèé ...

Â. Appositive clausesdisclose the meaning of the noun. They can modify only certain abstract nouns, Such as idea, feeling, hope, thought, impression, sense etc. Appositive clauses are usually introduced by the conjunction that ('Ùî') and are similar to object clauses.

Appositive clauses are generally limiting attributes.

He had the feeling that all his efforts proved to be futile.

The idea that he can be of usemade him happy.

I was annoyed by the sense that nothing intellectual could ever trouble him.

!!! Occasionally > A (The indefinite article).

She had an impression that Charlie was speaking to his cousin rather than to her.

Ihad a growing feeling that time was running out.

C) PARTICIPLES |  H) NOUNS IN THE GENITIVE CASE

A (the indefinite article) |  Traditional use |  Man - X |  The bourgeoisie the gentry the public |  Names of parts of the day |  Day, dawn |  Fluctuation (THE) |  Autumn came and there was a splash of colds in the school. |  B) NUMERALS |  OF-PHRASES |

© 2016-2022  um.co.ua - ó÷áîâ³ ìàòåð³àëè òà ðåôåðàòè