Keys for Task 3- choice of photos:
BY, USA, UK
GENERAL KNOWLEDGE QUIZ
(State Structure of Great Britain, the USA and the Republic of Belarus)
1. The Constitution of ... a) the United States; b) Great Britain; c) the Republic of Belarus ... grants all the legislative powers of the federal government to the Congress.
2. The only non-elected second chamber in the parliament in the world is ... a) the Council of the Republic of Belarus; b) the Senate; c) the House of Lords
3. a) The House of Representatives; b) the House of Lords; c) the Senate ... has 100 members.
4. One-third of ... a) the House of Lords; b) the Senate; c) the Council of the Republic of Belarus ... is elected every two years.
5. The Vice President is the presiding officer in the ... a) House of Representatives of the Congress; b) Senate; c) House of Commons.
6. The House of Commons is presided over by ... a) the Lord Chancellor; b) the Speaker; c) the Prime Minister
7. The executive power is exercised by the Council of Ministers in ... a) the Republic of Belarus; b) the USA; c) Great Britain
8. The Council of the Republic of Belarus consists of ... a) 110 deputies; b} 64 deputies; c) 435 deputies
9. The judicial branch in the USA is headed by ... a) the Constitutional Court; b) the Supreme Court; c) the federal court of appeal.
10. The judicial system is the most complicated in ... a) the Republic of Belarus; b) the USA; с) Great Britain.
11. "Front-benchers" are the leading members of ... a) the party in power; b) both parties; c) all existing parties ... in the House of Commons.
12. The President is elected for a term of four years and can be re-elected for another term but not longer in ... a) the Republic of Belarus; b) the United States; c) Great Britain.
13. The absolute power of the British monarchy has been progressively reduced ... a) in the process of political evolution, b) in the Magna Carta; c) by the Constitution adopted by the Parliament.
14. The US Constitution was adopted in ... a) 1620; b) 1787; c) 1861
16. There's no universal legal system in ... a) Belarus; b) Great Britain; c) the USA
17. The President is the chief executive in ... a) Belarus; b) Great Britain; c) the USA
18. The term of office of the Parliament members of different chambers is the same in ... a) Belarus; b) Great Britain; c) the USA
19. The Supreme Court determines whether the laws and official enactments correspond to the Constitution in ... a) Belarus; b) Great Britain; c) the USA
20. The upper chamber of Parliament isn't elected in ... a) Belarus; b) Great Britain; c) the USA
21. "Convention" means a set of rules and practices which are regarded as vital for the operation of the government in ... a) Belarus; b) Great Britain; c) the USA
22. "Convention" means the congress of the party's representatives to nominate the candidate for the highest post of the state in ... a) Belarus; b) Great Britain; c) the USA
23. The ... a) Labor; b) Liberal; c) Conservative party of Great Britain traces its origin back to the Whigs.
24. The Democratic Party was founded by ... a) George Washington; b) Thomas Jefferson; c) Abraham Lincoln.
25. Most of Belarusian electorate ... a) don't support any party; b) back the Communist party of Belarus; c) favor the Belarusian Popular Front.
26. "Union Jack" is the name of the national flag of ... a) Belarus; b) Great Britain; c) the USA
27. Each part of ... a) Belarus; b) Great Britain; c) the USA ... has its own patron saint and national emblem.
28. The flower of ... a) shamrock; b) leek; c) flax ... is used in the ornament of the Belarusian national emblem.
29. The "Stars and Stripes" was adopted as a national flag of the USA in ... a) 1782: b) 1777 c) 1864
THE STATE SYSTEM OF THE UNITED KINGDOM | THE USA POLITICAL SYSTEM | Task 11. Complete the sentences with the proper word using the words from the chart of task 2. | Task 13. Complete the text with the proper word from the box below. | DEFINIG DEMOCRACY | THE BILL OF RIGHTS | IV. 2. Choose the best alternative. | Review the following basic rules of the use of the modals in the English language. | Task 1. Choose the best alternative a), b) or c). | Remember you should change the adverbial modifier of time while making statements reported. The following table will help you. |