Головна

Fudge had taken half a step back from Dumbledore, but he looked no less stubborn.

1. A faint, tinny sort of whistle was coming from somewhere. They looked all around the compartment.
  2. A few moments later, Mr. Weasley came into the warm living room carrying his dinner on a tray. He looked completely exhausted.
  3. A panicked whisper swept the Great Hall. People were staring at Dumbledore in disbelief, in horror. He looked perfectly calm as he watched them mutter themselves into silence.
  4. At that, she looked just as bewildered as he felt.
  5. At this point, Harry found he could not continue. He looked around at Sirius and saw that he had his face in his hands.
  6. Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon looked at each other. It was clear that Dudley was frightening them. Hestia Jones broke the silence.
  7. Bagman looked somehow like a slightly overblown cartoon figure, standing amid all the pale faced champions. He was wearing his old Wasp robes again.

"You'll forgive me, Dumbledore, but I've never heard of a curse scar acting as an alarm bell before..."

"Look, I saw Voldemort come back!" Harry shouted. He tried to get out of bed again, but Mrs. Weasley forced him back. "I saw the Death Eaters! I can give you their names! Lucius Malfoy-"

Snape made a sudden movement, but as Harry looked at him, Snape's eyes flew back to Fudge.

"Malfoy was cleared!" said Fudge, visibly affronted. "A very old family-donations to excellent causes-"

"Macnair!" Harry continued.

"Also cleared! Now working for the Ministry!"

"Avery-Nott-Crabbe-Goyle-"

"You are merely repeating the names of those who were acquitted of being Death Eaters thirteen years ago!" said Fudge angrily. "You could have found those names in old reports of the trials! For heaven's sake, Dumbledore-the boy was full of some crackpot story at the end of last year too-his tales are getting taller, and you're still swallowing them-the boy can talk to snakes. Dumbledore, and you still think he's trustworthy?"

"You fool!" Professor McGonagall cried. "Cedric Diggory! Mr. Crouch! These deaths were not the random work of a lunatic!"

"I see no evidence to the contrary!" shouted Fudge, now matching her anger, his face purpling. "It seems to me that you are all determined to start a panic that will destabilize everything we have worked for these last thirteen years!"

Harry couldn't believe what he was hearing. He had always thought of Fudge as a kindly figure, a little blustering, a little pompous, but essentially good natured. But now a short, angry wizard stood before him, refusing, point blank, to accept the prospect of disruption in his comfortable and ordered world-to believe that Voldemort could have risen.

"Voldemort has returned," Dumbledore repeated. "If you accept that fact straightaway, Fudge, and take the necessary measures, we may still be able to save the situation. The first and most essential step is to remove Azkaban from the control of the Dementors-"

"Preposterous!" shouted Fudge again. "Remove the Dementors? I'd be kicked out of office for suggesting it! Half of us only feel safe in our beds at night because we know the Dementors are standing guard at Azkaban!"

"The rest of us sleep less soundly in our beds, Cornelius, knowing that you have put Lord Voldemort's most dangerous supporters in the care of creatures who will join him the instant he asks them!" said Dumbledore. "They will not remain loyal to you, Fudge! Voldemort can offer them much more scope for their powers and their pleasures than you can! With the Dementors behind him, and his old supporters returned to him, you will be hard pressed to stop him regaining the sort of power he had thirteen years ago!"

Harry opened his eyes blearily. Someone had removed his glasses. He could see the fuzzy outlines of Mrs. Weasley and Bill close by. Mrs. Weasley was on her feet. | Fudge was opening and closing his mouth as though no words could express his outrage.

He had come back to the edge of the maze. He could see the stands rising above him, the shapes of people moving in them, the stars above. | He was looking at the wand Moody was pointing at him. This was a bad joke, it had to be. | Moody raised his wand, he opened his mouth; Harry plunged his own hand into his robes- | Dumbledore climbed into the trunk, lowered himself, and fell lightly onto the floor beside the sleeping Moody. He bent over him. | There were hurried footsteps outside in the corridor. Snape had returned with Winky at his heels. Professor McGonagall was right behind them. | Crouch took a deep, shuddering breath, then began to speak in a flat, expressionless voice. | The insane smile lit his features once more, and his head drooped onto his shoulder as Winky wailed and sobbed at his side. | Very unwillingly, Harry raised his head and looked into those blue eyes. | He was glad when Sirius broke the silence. | At this point, Harry found he could not continue. He looked around at Sirius and saw that he had his face in his hands. |

© 2016-2022  um.co.ua - учбові матеріали та реферати