1. Family, folks, household, tribe, clan, descent (to be of some descent), descendant, ancestor, forefather, heredity, hereditary, sibling, paternal, maternal, next of kin, nearest and dearest, one's own flesh and blood, in-laws.
2. To date smb, to be smb's date, to go out with smb, to court smb, boyfriend, girlfriend, bridegroom, bride, fiancee, best man, bridesmaid, newlyweds, marriage knot, marriage of convenience,
single, spouse, divorced, divorcee, separated, bachelor, spinster, old maid.
3. To bring up a child, to raise a child, to adopt a child, to foster, a foster child/brother, step-mother/father, half-brother/sister, a single parent.
4. Household chores: to do the chores, to do the laundry, to wash dishes and pots, to wash up, to cook meals, to do the shopping, a shopping list, to vacuum a room, to polish furniture, to redecorate a room (with new wallpaper).
5. Equality and prejudice: to consider smb inferior/superior or as an equal; to enjoy equal prospects and opportunity; equality of opportunity; conventional/unconventional attitudes/beliefs-; acceptable/unacceptable patterns/modes of behaviour; to be prejudiced against smb; to discriminate against; sexual discrimination; to be faithful; to commit adultery.
6. Reactions: amazement, surprise, astonishment, horror, misery, disappointment, to be appalled, to be astounded, to be disgusted; ecstatic, overjoyed, thrilled; to be put out, to be offended, to hurt someone's feelings; furious, speechless with anger; to be taken aback; to be upset, to be dismayed, to be disheartened, moving, touching; to feel crushed, horror-stricken.
|Study the essential vocabulary and translate the illustrative examples into Russian.|||||The Politics of Housework|