Головна

The Participles

1.  C) PARTICIPLES
  2.  Fill in the blanks with Passive Participles of the verb in brackets
  3.  Paraphrase the sentences using participles instead of italicized clauses
  4.  VII. Read the sentences and define the Infinitives, Participles or Gerund.

124. Point out the First Participle and state its functions in the sentence:

1. She sat very still, and the train rattled on in the dying twilight. 2.1 sat quite silent, watching his face, a strong and noble face. 3. He wished to say something sympathetic, but, being an Englishman, could only turn away his eyes. 4. She was always to him a laughing girl, with dancing eyes full of eager expectation. 5. It was a bright Sunday morning of early summer, promising heat. 6. The door opened and he entered, carrying his head as though it held some fatal secret. 7. I'm afraid it's the moon looking so much like a slice of melon. 8. Lying he spoke more quickly than when he told the truth. 9. I had not slept the night before, and, having eaten a heavy lunch, was agreeably drowsy. 10. When driving in London itself she had as immediate knowledge of its streets5'As any taxi-driver. 11. "What a nice lunch," said Clare, eating the sugar at the bottom of her coffee cup. 12. While eating and drinking they talked loudly in order that all present might hear what they said. 13. For the first time she stared about her, trying to see what there was. 14.1 received from her another letter saying that she was passing .through Paris and would like to have a chat with me. 15.1 sat on the doorstep holding my little sister in my arms thinking over my chances of escaping from home. 16.1 used to tell all my troubles to Mrs. Winkshap, our neighbour living next door. 17. "It's a quarter past seven," he said trying as hard as he could to keep relief from his voice. 18. As he wrote, bending over his desk, his mouth worked.

125. Use the appropriate form of the First Participle of the verbs brackets:

1. (to look) out of the window, she saw there was a man working in the garden. 2. That night, (to go) up to his room Shelton thought of his unpleasant duty. 3. (to descend) to the hall, he came on Mr. Dennant (to cross) to his study, with a handful of official-looking papers. 4. The carriage was almost full, and (to put) his bag up in the rack, he took his seat. 5. (to know) that she could not trust Jim, she sent Peter instead. 6. (to do) all that was required, he was the last to leave the office. 7. (to return) home in the afternoon, she became conscious of her mistake. 8. He could not join his friends (to be) still busy in the laboratory. 9. (to finish) his work, he seemed more pleased than usual. 10. (to step) inside, he found himself in what had once been a sort of office. 11. He left the room again, (to close) the door behind him with a bang. 12.1 spent about ten minutes (to turn) over the sixteen pages of "The Times" before I found the chief news and articles. 13. (to turn) to the main street, he ran into Donald and Mary (to return) from school. 14. (to return) from the expedition he wrote a book about Central Africa. 15. (to get) out of bed she ran to the window and drew the curtain aside. 16 (to confuse) by his joke, she blushed. 17, (to inform) of their arrival the day before, he was better prepared to meet them than anyone of us. 18. Sir Henry paused and then said, (to glance) down at his watch, "Edward's arriving by the 12.15."

126. Translate the sentences into English, using the First Participle:

1. Будьте обережні, перетинаючи вулицю. 2. Написавши твір, вона почала готувати інше завдання. 3. Студенти, які не приділяють достатньо уваги граматиці, ніколи не опанують англійською мовою. 4. Ми сиділи в саду і розмовляли про нашу поїздку по Волзі. 5. Втікши зі сходів, вона зупинилася на мить, ніби вагаючись, в якому напрямку піти. 6. Пояснивши все докладно, він спокійно сів на своє місце. 7. Опинившись одна на вулиці, вона відразу пошкодувала про те, що трапилося. 8. Схопивши сина на руки, Еліза кинулася бігти. 9. Молода людина, яка стояла біля вікна, уважно подивився на мене. 10. Провівши сина, вони повільно поверталися з вокзалу. 11. Театри Іст-Енду часто ставлять п'єси, що зачіпають багато сучасних проблеми. 12. Потопаюче за соломинку хапається. 13. Мамі доводилося багато разів вставати з-за столу, змінюючи тарілки і приносячи то одне, то інше блюдо. 14. Помітивши мене, вона зупинилася.

127. Point out the Complex Object with the First Participle. Translate the sentences into Russian:

1. I heard the visitor walking restlessly backwards and forwards. I also heard him talking to himself. 2. She turned and saw Shelton standing down there. 3. He felt his irritation mounting. 4. He found Dora reading a novel in their bedroom. 5. With amusement they watched them going. 6. We heard her walking on the stairs by the cellar. 7. At that moment I noticed Charles sitting a little farther in the hall. 8. For the first time she found herself wondering about him. 9. The moon came fully through a cloud, and he was startled as he suddenly saw her face looking at him. 10. You can always find him handing round bread and butter at a tea party. 11. He felt the bridge shaking under his feet. 12. Then in the complete silence of the night he heard somebody opening the door quietly. 13. He looked at groups of young girls walking arm in arm. 14. Soames raised his hand to his forehead, where suddenly she saw moisture shining. 15. As I was looking this over I heard the doors which led on to the main corridor being opened.

128. Use the Infinitive or the First Participle of the verbs in brackets to form a Complex Object:

1. A moment later they heard her bedroom door (to shut) with a bang. 2. I've never heard your canary (to sing). Is there anything the matter with the bird? 3. Would you like me (to make) you lunch, or have you had some? 4.1 want you (to explain) the disappointment we had this morning. 5. She watched him (to pass) the gate and (to walk) down the street. 6. Through the chink in the shutters she watched Emma (to pick) cherries in the orchard. 7. The captain said something which made them (to laugh), he did not hear what it was. 8. They had their own pattern of life and expected me (to fit) in. 9. You can see him (to work) in his little garden every day. 10. She had never heard philosophy (to pass) those lips before. 11. I saw him (to put) his suitcase right here. 12. During that moment Miss Pembroke told a lie, and made Rickie (to believe) it was the truth. 13. Together they watched the old oak (to drop) its leaves. 14. He found them (to sit) together and (to talk) peacefully. They did not notice him (to approach). 15. He felt the water (to reach) his knees. 16. She felt her voice (to tremble) and tried to control herself. 17. We saw him (to open) the envelope and (to read) something hastily. 18.1 saw hdm (to unfold) the telegram slowly and hesitatingly as though he expected it (to contain) some bad news. 19. He heard the young people (to sing) and (to shout) from the opposite bank. 20. She watched him (to work) for a long time.

129. Point out the "Nominative Absolute" construction and translate the sentences into Russian:

1. She had sunk into a chair and was sitting there, her small fingers curling and uncurling themselves nervously. 2. The door being opened, and Bunter having produced an electric torch, the party stepped into a wide stone passage. 3. ... Mrs. Baddle made the round of the room, candle in hand, to point out all its beauties. 4. "You do not respect me," said Dora, her voice trembling. 5. Together they ran back down the road, Міг still gripping her arm in a tight grip. 6. Men, their caps pulled down, their collars turned up, passed by. 7. Before he moved himself Bertrand said, his eyes on Dixon: "That's quite clear, is it?" 8. Constantia lay like a statue, her hands by her sides, the sheet up to her chin. She stared at the ceiling. 9. The strain of his indecision over, he felt like a man recovering, from an illness. 10. Four seconds later Dixon was on the way out of the hotel into the sunlight, his shilling in his pocket. 11. Another time when we were going through Feme Bay on our way back from a long excursion, it being a hot day and all of us thirsty, she suggested that we should go into the Dolphin and have a glass of beer. 12. Dinner over, Carrie went into the bathroom where they could not disturb her, and wrote a little note. 13. The patient's leg having been amputated, there was no doubt of his recovering soon. 14. The voices had receded; and James was left alone; his "ears standing up like a hare's; and fear creeping about his inwards.

130. Translate the sentences Into English, using the First Participle:

1. Вона чула, як її батько ходить взад і вперед по терасі. 2. Строго кажучи, це не зовсім те, що я хотіла сказати. 3. Том побачив, що у воді щось швидко рухається. 4. Приїхавши додому, він побачив, що його зовсім не чекали. 5. Холодні промені сонця, що заходить висвітлювали вершини дерев. 6. Він зауважив, що за ним хтось стежить і, зрозумівши це, вирішив змінити свій шлях. 7. Було чутно, як десь далеко грала музика. 8. Судячи з того, як ласкаво вона на нього дивиться, він їй подобається. 9. Бачачи, що збираються хмари, ми вирішили відкласти прогулянку. 10. Дійшовши до середини, я відчула, що міст тремтить. 11. Було чутно, як хворий стогне від болю. 12. Почувши кроки на безлюдній вулиці, вона насторожилася. 13. Намагаючись приховати своє Збентеження, вона почала щось квапливо розповідати, звертаючись до свого супутника. 14. Вийшовши в сад, я побачила, що діти мирно грають, як ніби нічого не сталося. 15. Я спостерігала за тим, як уважно він читав лист. 16. Взагалі кажучи, у мене немає часу, щоб вислуховувати її безглузді історії.

131. Replace the attributive and adverbial clauses in the following sentences by participle phrases:

1. We were tired and thirsty, for we had been on the road since eight o'clock in the morning, and it was a hot day. 2. One day towards evening when both the old people were sitting in front of their cottage, they caught sight of a young girl with a bundle in her hand. 3. The lady was waiting for her sister who was arriving by the 7.30 train. 4.1 hailed the first taxi that passed by and reached the station at ten minutes to three. 5. One morning, as Johnny was looking out of the window, he saw in his neighbour's orchard a great number of fine red apples which had fallen from the trees. 6. "Villain!" cried he, as he ran down to him. 7. "Oh, sir," said the poor boy who was trembling with fear, "it is not my fault." 8. "May I come in?" she said as she pushed the door a little wider open. 9. "I'm late," she remarked, as she sat down and drew off her gloves. 10. Here and there were signs that the flower-beds had been trampled upon by excited villagers who tried to reach the windows. 11. As he did not know the way to the station very well he often stopped to ask people who were passing by. 12. He looked like an African savage who was being shown a simple conjuring trick. 13. The old woman told me with pride that the healthy-looking child that was playing beside us was her grandson. 14. She returned presently and brought a tray with a jug of milk. 15. The path which was leading through the coppice soon got lost in the high grass.

132. Replace the participle phrases in the following sentences by attributive or adverbial clauses:

1. A middle-aged woman, wearing a print apron, stood at the door of the cottage. 2. She looked down at the floor as though seeing something there. 3. On a sunny afternoon arriving at the house in Malta Street, Jacob found it deserted. 4. A snake sleeping in the grass will bite if anyone treads upon it. 5. Being seven, she often wore her favourite brown velvet frock barely reaching the knees of her thin legs. 6. Suddenly, while watching the fear she was trying to hide, he believed her story. 7. The golden light, still lying in sheets upon the water, dazzled Nan for a moment. 8.1 felt a bitter envy towards the two small boys walking along the path with their mother at that moment. 9. It's an old face for twenty-five, Jan thought, watching the wrinkles that fanned out from eyes to temples. 10. Jim, not being sure of her real intentions, merely looked at her and paused for a moment. 11. Having satisfied himself that each guest had a plate of food and a glass of water, he was anxious to make conversation. 12. Returning home late at night, he found everybody in bed. 13. Reaching the top of the hill my companion stopped. 14. Having filled his pockets with apples, the boy was about to run away when he saw the owner of the garden with a stick in his hand. 15. The letter, beginning with "Dear sir" was not signed. 16. Having addressed and sealed the parcel, I went out at once to the Main Post Office.

133. Translate the sentences into English, using attributive participle phrases, where possible:

1. Старий, який працював в саду, не відразу помітив мене. 2. Висока людина виявився інженером, який працював на цьому заводі кілька років тому. 3. Хлопчика, який продавав газети, вже не було видно. 4. Дівчина, яка продавала неподалік фіалки, здавалося, чимось нагадувала Елізу Дулятл. Очевидно, я був схильний побачити в Англії то, що колись читав про неї. 5. Мешканці села, які бачили дівчинку того ранку, говорили, що вона йшла в дальній кінець села, де була річка. 6. Все, що читали гумористичні оповідання цього письменника, не можуть не захоплюватися ними. 7. Студенти, котрі читали цей нарис, кажуть, що він важкий для перекладу. 8. Мій друг, який відвідав Панамський канал, розповідає багато цікавого про свою подорож. 9. Туристи, які відвідали Музей образотворчих мистецтв одночасно зі мною, висловлювали вголос своє захоплення. 10. Нарешті молодий чоловік, який читав ілюстрований журнал, підняв голову і глянув на мене. 11. Людина, запитував дорогу до мосту Ватерлоо, раптом кудись зник. 12. Молодий робітник, запитував мене, звідки я приїхав, здався мені знайомим, я виразно його вже бачив. Але де? 13. Він зауважив, що літній джентльмен, пильно дивився на нього, робить йому таємничі знаки. 14. Людина, що приніс лист від Артура, хотів поговорити з нею наодинці. 15. Вони часто думали про своїх друзів, які працювали на Далекому Сході. 16. Наші друзі, які працювали на Далекому Сході, повернулися в Москву. 17. Мікі, який переводив важку статтю, навіть не глянув на мене. 18. Мікі, який переводив цю статтю, говорить, що ми повинні неодмінно прочитати її в оригіналі. 19. Шофер, повільно вилізлий з машини, виглядав дуже втомленим.

134. Point out the Second Participle and state its functions in the sentence:

1. His name was well-known among the younger writers of France. 2. London, like most cities which have a long history behind them, is not really one single city, but rather a collection of once separated towns and villages which in the course of time have grown together. 3. The door opened. A little frightened girl stood in the light that fell from the passage. 4. The broad thoroughfare which runs between Trafalgar Square and the Houses of Parliament, is known as Whitehall. 5. The child kept silent and looked frightened. 6. Finella glanced up at the top of the hill. High in the air, a little figure, his hands thrust in his short jacket pockets, stood staring out to sea. 7. He lived in a little village situated at the foot of a hill. 8. He fell asleep exhausted by his journey. 9. If you had not caught sight of him at the door he might have slipped out unnoticed. 10. In the coppice they sat down on a fallen free. 11. Seen from the Vorobyev Hills the city looks magnificent, and especially at night in the electric light. 12. She entered the drawing-room accompanied by her husband and her father. 13. On one side the Kremlin opens upon Red Square. There, near the Kremlin Wall, is Lenin Mausoleum, made of granite. 14. Presently I grew tired and went to bed. 15. Locked in her room, she flung herself on the bed and cried bitterly. 16. She sat for a while with her eyes shut. 17. The house in which Denby lives is little more than a cottage, looked at from outside, but there are more rooms in it than one would think.

133. Replace the attributive clauses in the following sentences by phrases with the Second Participle, where possible:

I. By a residential college we mean a college with a hostel which is usually situated on the same grounds as the principal building. 2. The slogan which was made by Mike's brother attracted everybody's attention. 3. The child that was left alone in the large room began to scream. 4.1 have a letter for you which was received two days ago. 5. They were all pleased with the results which were achieved by the end of the month. 6. His words, which he uttered in an under-tonie, reached my ears. 7. The boy who had broken the windowpane ran away and did not appear till the evening. 8. The storm that caused a lot of harm to the crops abated late at night. 9. He said that the book which I had chosen belonged to his grandfather. 10. I asked the librarian to show me the magazines which were sent from the German Democratic Republic. 11. Everybody felt that in the farewell dinner there was sadness which was mingled with festivity. 12. We were all looking at his smiling face which was framed in the window of the railway-carriage. 13. There was another pause which was broken by a fit of laughing of one of the old men sitting in the first row. 14. There lay a loaf of brown bread which was divided into two halves. 15. The English people love their green hedges which are covered with leaf and flower in summer, and a blaze of gold and red in autumn. 16. From his essay we learn about various goods which are produced in Birmingham and the adjoining manufacturing towns. 17. The teacher told us that the centre of the cotton industry is Manchester, which is connected with Liverpool by a canal. 18. In the South of England we find fertile valleys which are divided by numerous hedges. 19. Tennis is one of the most popular games in England which is played all the year round. 20. They say that in their college, as well as in ours, the students have lots of exams which are held at the end of each term.

136. a) Translate the following word-groups into English. Pay attention to the place of the Second Participle:

ілюстрований журнал; журнал, ілюстрований відомим художником; розбите скло; скло, розбите напередодні; зламаний олівець; гілка, зламана вітром; схвильовані голоси; діти, схвильовані тим, що сталося; втрачений ключ; ключ, втрачений вчора; газети, отримані з Лондона; лист, написаний незнайомим почерком; закриті двері; двері, замкнена зсередини; дівчина, запрошена на вечір; впало дерево; книга, що впала зі столу; вкрадені документи; документи, вкрадені у секретаря; закінчений твір; твір, закінчений в поспіху; хлопчик, переляканий собакою; високорозвинена індустріальна країна.

The Gerund |  REVISION EXERCISES ON THE VERBAIS

REVISION EXERCISES ON TENSE AND VOICE |  THE SUBJUNCTIVE MOOD AND THE CONDITIONAL MOOD |  Complete the following sentences a) using the Conditional Mood; |  Translate Into English, using; the verb can; |  Shall, will |  REVISION EXERCISES ON MOOD AND MODAL VERBS |  Translate the following sentences Sato English. Pay attention to the use of the oblique moods; |  Comment on the meaning of the modal verbs and translate the sentences into Russian; |  The Infinitive |  D) as attribute; |

© 2016-2022  um.co.ua - учбові матеріали та реферати