Головна

THE ATTACK ON BRITAIN'S ENVIRONMENT

1. CHAPTER 1 - Environment
  2. Environmental Pollution
  3. THE ATTACK ON BRITAIN'S ENVIRONMENT

Most of the western nations have the same basic environmental problems, but they take different forms in each country. Here you can read about some of the dangers facing Britain's environments.

One of Britain's environmental successes has been the control of air pollution, especially in London. Thirty years ago hundreds of people died every year from the dreadful London smogs. Since then London and many other cities have become smokeless zones, areas where no coal fires are allowed. But now the increase in traffic is threatening serious air pollution in our cities again.

However, the commonest air pollution comes from the cigarette smoke which pollutes many public places, like cinemas, pubs and restaurants. Though cigarette advertisements are not allowed on TV or radio, you can still see them on posters in cinemas and in newspapers and magazines. The advertisements do not tell you that doctors believe cigarettes cause 30.000 deaths in Britain every year.

Traffic and aircraft can cause serious noise pollution. Air-crafts are very noisy when they take off and the noise spreads over a wide area. Heathrow airport, near London, is the busiest airport in the world. Planes are only allowed to take off and land at Heathrow between six in the morning and eleven at night, but during the day fifty planes take off and land there every hour.

ВАРІАНТ 2

I. Перепишіть і письмово переведіть на російську мову такі пропозиції, беручи до уваги, що суб'єктний і об'єктний інфінітівние обертів здебільшого відповідають підрядних речень (Див. Зразок виконання № 1).

1. This problem proved to be very difficult.

2. The meeting is unlikely to be postponed.

3. The buyers asked the sellers to reduce the price.

4. The representative of the firm asked the manager to send the documents by airmail.

5. We know them to be experienced enough to perform the work.

II. Перепишіть і письмово переведіть на російську мову такі пропозиції, враховуючи відмінності в перекладі залежних і незалежних причетних оборотів.

1. The play being very popular, it was very difficult to get tickets.

2. Having been achieved the success did not prevent the poet from working hard and developing his talent.

3. There being no further business, the meeting adjourned.

III. Перепишіть і письмово переведіть на російську мову такі пропозиції, що містять підрядні речення умови.

1. If he runs all the way he will get there in time.

2. If anyone should ring up say that I'll be back soon.

3. But for your help I should not have been able to finish my work by Saturday.

4. If you study hard, you will pass your exams well.

5. My report would be ready tomorrow provided I had all the necessary material.

IV. Перепишіть і письмово переведіть на російську мову текст.

HARVARD UNIVERSITY | THE ATTACK ON BRITAIN'S ENVIRONMENT

Єкатеринбург 2009 | Укладачі: доцент Т. С. Єжова, ст. викладач Л. В. Совдагарова | Методичні рекомендації ДЛЯ ВИКОНАННЯ КОНТРОЛЬНИХ РОБІТ | Контрольна робота №1 | LIVING IN CANADA TODAY | WASHINGTON, DC | КОНТРОЛЬНЕ ЗАВДАННЯ №3 | VII. Переведіть на російську мову. | VII. Переведіть на російську мову. | VII. Переведіть на російську мову. |

© 2016-2022  um.co.ua - учбові матеріали та реферати