Головна

It was too good to last, he thought. I wish it had been a dream now and that I had never hooked the fish and was alone in bed on the newspapers.

1. Chapter 13 - A Sight Which I Shall Never Forget
  2. Did Tom Canty never feel troubled about the poor little rightful prince who
  3. Distinct now, but soft and dreamy, for the sun is lightly veiled with clouds.
  4. Do not let me go 'cause I'm tired of feeling alone. »(С) Гаррі
  5. Do not let me go 'cause I'm tired of feeling alone. »(С) Гаррі
  6. I can do nothing with him and he can do nothing with me, he thought. Not as long as he keeps this up.
  7. I have all those prayers I promised if I caught the fish, he thought. But I am too tired to say them now. I better get the sack and put it over my shoulders.

But man is not made for defeat, "he said." A man can be destroyed but not defeated. "I am sorry that I killed the fish though, he thought. Now the bad time is coming and I do not even have the harpoon . The dentuso is cruel and able and strong and intelligent. But I was more intelligent than he was. Perhaps not ,, he thought. Perhaps I was only better armed.

"Do not think, old man," he said aloud. "Sail on this course and take it when it comes."

But I must think (але мені потрібно думати), he thought. Because it is all I have left (бо це все, що у мене залишилося). That and baseball (це і бейсбол). I wonder how the great DiMaggio would have liked the way I hit him in the brain (цікаво, сподобалося б великому Ді Маджо, як я вдарив її в мозок)? It was no great thing (в цьому не було нічого особливого: «це було не великої річчю»), he thought. Any man could do it (будь-хто міг би зробити це). But do you think my hands were as great a handicap as the bone spurs (але як ти думаєш, чи були мої руки такою ж сильною перешкодою, як і кісткові шипи)? I can not know (важко сказати: «не можу знати»). I never had anything wrong with my heel (у мене ніколи не траплялося нічого з п'ятою) except the time the sting ray stung it (за винятком того разу, коли мене вжалив в неї електричний скат; to sting - жалити; ray - скат) when I stepped on him when swimming (коли я наступив на нього під час плавання) and paralyzed the lower leg (і паралізував мені ногу від коліна до ступні: «нижню ногу») and made the unbearable pain (і заподіяв нестерпний біль; to bear - нести; зносити).

"Think about something cheerful (подумай про що-небудь радісному), old man," he said. "Every minute now you are closer to home (з кожною хвилиною ти все ближче до дому). You sail lighter for the loss of forty pounds (пливе легше через втрату сорока фунтів)."

He knew quite well the pattern of what could happen when he reached the inner part of the current (він прекрасно знав, що може трапитися, коли він досягне внутрішньої частини течії; pattern - зразок, приклад). But there was nothing to be done now (але з цим зараз нічого не можна було зробити).

"Yes there is (немає, можна)," he said aloud. "I can lash my knife to the butt of one of the oars (я можу прив'язати свій ніж до рукоятки одного з весел; butt - товстий кінець, рукоятка)."

But I must think, he thought. Because it is all I have left. That and baseball. I wonder how the great DiMaggio would have liked the way I hit him in the brain? It was no great thing, he thought. Any man could do it. But do you think my hands were as great a handicap as the bone spurs? I can not know. I never had anything wrong with my heel except the time the sting ray stung it when I stepped on him when swimming and paralyzed the lower leg and made the unbearable pain.

"Think about something cheerful, old man," he said. "Every minute now you are closer to home. You sail lighter for the loss of forty pounds."

© 2016-2022  um.co.ua - учбові матеріали та реферати