Головна

Activity

1. Tekhnoparks as one of the forms of organization of innovative activity

6.1 Can you write letters in English? What is a letter of inquiry? What are the rules of writing it?

Read the text and answer the questions above!

A letter of inquiry is a business letter. It requests information. Identify the information you need in a one- or two-paragraph letter. As a student, you may occasionally write a letter of inquiry requesting a company, person or institution to send you information for use in a class project or report. To write a letter of inquiry, use these guidelines:

State who you are and why you are writing.

Ask questions that the respondent can answer.

Tell the respondent how to reach you.

Thank the respondent for his or her time and effort.

6.2 Study the example of a letter of inquiry.

1437 West Horwath Drive

Oklahoma City, OK 73100

April 2, 2015

Mr. John O'Brien

Chief Officer

Defensive Means Corp.

871 Cashew Boulevard

Lewiston, ME 04240

Dear Mr. O'Brien,

For my research paper on terrorism I am investigating the forms, means and methods of fighting it. In the reading I have done, I found your article where you mention a new weapon 409 CR. Could you please take a few minutes to supply more information on the following questions:

What are the advantages of this weapon?

What divisions have it at their disposal?

Are there any known terrorist groups using this weapon?

Is there any possible way for any law-abiding citizen to use it?

Is it possible to arrange its demonstration for law-enforcement cadets?

You can write to me at the above address, or you can call (715) 253-2580 on Monday and Wednesday (9 a.m.-12 p.m.) or Friday after 10 a.m. My fax number is (715) 352-0001 and e-mail is bsmirnov@gmail.com. My deadline for using this information is May 1. I hope to hear from you soon. Thank you for taking time to answer these questions.

Sincerely,

Boris Smirnov

6.3 Write a letter of inquiry to the Oxford Admission Office asking for general information about enrollment and peculiarities of the university. The text below will help you.

The University of Oxford (informally Oxford University, or simply Oxford) is the second oldest surviving university in the world and the oldest in the English-speaking world. Although the exact date of its foundation remains unclear, there is evidence of teaching there as far back as 1096.

The University of Oxford is a "public university" in the sense that it receives a large amount of public money from the government and from local authorities, but it is a "private university" in the sense that it is entirely self-governing and could choose to become private by rejecting public funds.

The peculiarity of Oxford is that it is a collegiate university. It comprises over forty self-governing colleges and halls. Central administration is headed by the Vice-Chancellor. There is no upper or lower limit on the age of those who want to enter the university. Colleges have responsibility for admitting undergraduates and organizing their tuition. They provide social, cultural, and recreational activities for their members. As for graduates, this responsibility falls upon the departments.

The academic departments are not affiliated with any particular college. Departments provide facilities for teaching and research, determine the syllabi and guidelines for the teaching of students, perform research, and deliver lectures and seminars. Colleges arrange the tutorial teaching for their undergraduates. Graduate students are usually instructed through classes and seminars, though there is more focus upon individual research. The various academic faculties, departments, and institutes are organized into four divisions, each with its own Head.

Before reading | GREAT BRITAIN

HIGHER EDUCATION IN GREAT BRITAIN. OXFORD | Lead-in | Topical vocabulary | Структура простого предложения |

© 2016-2022  um.co.ua - учбові матеріали та реферати