1) What is lingua franca?
2) What does the knowledge of English allow professionals and researchers to do?
3) What is academic writing?
4) What is the main feature of English academic writing?
5) What is meant by a cautious manner of writing?
6) What are the main linguistic ways of cautious manner of writing?
7) What differences exist in the organization and the ways of argumentation in academic writing of different languages and cultures?
8) What features does formal academic English normally avoid?
9) Enumerate important features of English academic writing.
3. Match the word with its definition:
1. lingua franca a) based on or characterized by the methods and principles of science
2. formal b) a distinctive attribute or aspect of something
3. scientific c) process of reasoning systematically in support of an idea, action, or theory
4. feature d) a common language used for communication over areas where several languages have usually been spoken
5. accurate e) describe or denote; have as a referent
6. argumentation f) a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof
7. refer g) the analysis and judgment of the merits and faults of a literary or artistic work
8. assumption h) a person or thing that corresponds to or has the same function as another person or thing in a different place or situation
9. counterpart i) correct in all details; exact
10. criticism j) suitable for or constituting an official or important occasion
Луцьк 2010 | Передмова | Citations | Divide the following text into paragraphs with appropriate indentation. | Steps in Summarizing | Useful Phrases for Longer Summaries | Complete the text with words from the box. | Research Paper Abstracts | Read the two abstracts with identified moves and answer the questions that follow. | Conference Abstracts |