Головна

VIII. Find shortenings in the jokes and extracts given below and specify the method of their formation.

1.  B. Explain the homonyms which form the basis for the following jokes. Classify the types as in part a.
  2.  Compare their lifestyles.
  3.  Correspondence of Semantic Roles and their syntactic realisation
  4.  Englishmen and their Habits
  5.  Ex.7 Give 2 examples to each variant of pronunciation of the given digraph.
  6.  Exercise 1. Read the international words and guess their meaning.
  7.  Exercise 2. Make up sentences, using the table and the words below.

1. Brown: But, Doc, I got bad eyes! Doctor: Do not worry. We'll put you up front.5 You will not miss a thing.

2. "How was your guard duty yesterday, Tom?"

"О. К. I was remarkably vigilant."

"Were you?"

"Oh, yes. I was so vigilant that I heard at once the relief sergeant approaching my post though I was fast asleep."

3. "Excuse me, but I'm in a hurry! You've had that phone 20 minutes and not said a word!" "Sir, I'm talking to my wife."

4. Two training planes piloted by air cadets collided in mid-air. The pilots who had safely tailed out were interrogated about the accident:

"Why did not you take any evasive action to avoid hitting the other plane?"

"I did," the first pilot explained, "I tried to zigzag. But he was zigzagging, too, and zagged when I thought he was going to zig."

5. Any pro6 will tell you that the worst thing possible is to overrehearse.

6. Hedy cut a giant birthday cake and kissed six GIs7 whose birthday it was.

7. A few minutes later the adjutant and the O. D.1 and a disagreeable master sergeant were in a jeep tearing down the highway in pursuit of the coloured convoy.

IX. What is the type of word-building by which the italicized words in the following extracts were made?

1. If they'd anything to say to each other, they could hob-nob2 over beef-tea in a perfectly casual and natural manner. 2. No sooner had he departed than we were surrounded by cats, six of them, all miaowing piteously at once. 3. A man who has permitted himself to be made a thorough fool of is not anxious to broadcast the fact. 4. "He must be a very handsome fellow," said Sir Eustace. "Some young whipper-snapper3 in Durban. "5. In South Africa you at once begin to talk about a stoep - I do know what a stoep is - it's the thing round a house and you sit on it. In various other parts of the world you call it a veranda, a piazza, and a ha-ha4 6. All about him black metal pots were boiling and bubbling on huge stoves, and kettles were hissing, and pans were sizzling, and strange iron machines were clanking and spluttering. 7.1 took the lib of barging in. 8. I'd work for him, slave for him, steal for him, even beg or borrow for him. 9. I've been meaning to go to the good old exhibish for a long time. 10. Twenty years of bulling had trained him to wear a mask.

Лексикологія 1 сторінка |  Лексикологія 2 сторінка |  Лексикологія 3 сторінка |  Лексикологія 4 сторінка |  Лексикологія 5 сторінка |  Лексикологія 6 сторінка |  Лексикологія 7 сторінка |  Лексикологія 8 сторінка |  Лексикологія 9 сторінка |  Лексикологія 10 сторінка |

© 2016-2022  um.co.ua - учбові матеріали та реферати