Ãîëîâíà

Past continuous (progressive) and past indefinite (simple) tenses

1.  E. Supply the suitable form of past tenses.
  2.  Exercise 1. Translate into Russian. Comment on the use of Tenses.
  3.  Exercise 3. Write out 24 verbs from the text and define the tenses. Give the infinitive.
  4.  EXERCISE 8. Open the brackets using the verbs in The Past Simple Tense or The Past Continuous Tense.
  5.  Future continuous (progressive) tense
  6.  Future perfect continuous tense
  7.  I. The Use of Perfect Continuous Tenses.

1. Ïîñòàâòå 䳺ñëîâî â äóæêàõ â Past Continuous àáî Past Indefinite Tense:

1. George (fall) off the ladder while he (paint) the ceiling.

2. Last night I (read) in bed when suddenly I (hear) a scream.

3. (You / watch) television when I phoned you?

4. Ann (wait) for me when I (arrive).

5. I (not / drive) very fast then the accident (happen).

6. I (break) a plate last night. I (do) the washing-up when it (slip) out of my hand.

7. Tom (take) a photograph of me while I (not / look).

8. We (not / go) out because it (rain).

9. What (you / do) at this time yesterday?

10. I (see) Carol at the party. She (wear) a really beautiful dress.

2. Ïîñòàâòå 䳺ñëîâî â äóæêàõ â Past Continuous àáî Past Indefinite Tense; ïåðåêàæ³òü:

A.One day, while Mowgli (to play) with the young wolves, Father Wolf (to come) and (to say) that it was time to go to the Wolves 'Council. When they (to get) there, Akela, the leader of the wolves, (to lie) on a big rock, and forty other wolves (to sit) around and (to look) at him. Akela (to see) Mowgli and (to cry), 'Look! Look well, wolves! 'And all the wolves (to look) at Mowgli, who now (to stand) in the centre. The wolves (not to talk) while they (to watch) the man's cub. Suddenly they (to hear) a roar - it was the voice of Shere Khan, the tiger, who (to say), 'Give the man's cub to me. He is mine '. Akela even (not to look) in that direction, he just (to repeat), 'Look well, wolves!' Most of the wolves (to listen) in silence, only one young wolf (to say) in a low voice, ' What have the free people to do with a man's cub? 'The tiger (to stand) behind the rock. While he (to watch) what (to happen) at the Council, he (to wait) for his chance.

(After Kipling)

B.An old ass was walking slowly along the road when he (to see) a dog, who (to lie) on the road and (to breathe) heavily. The ass (to stop) and (to ask) the dog why he (not to run), as dogs usually (to do). The dog (to answer) that he (to get) older and weaker, and his master (not to need) him any more. The dog (to ask) the ass where he (to go), and the ass (to say) he was going to the town of Bremen, where he (to want) to become a town musician. He (to add) the people of Bremen (to pay) good money for music, and (to invite) the dog to come with him. So they (to go) on together.

They (to walk) for some time, and then they (to meet) a cat, who (to sit) on the road and (to mew) very sadly. They (to ask) the cat what he (to do) there, and he 9to say) that he (not to know) what to do, because he (to get) older and older, and he (not to catch) mice as cats usually (to do). They (to go) off together for a long time, until they (to notice) a cock, who (to sit) on the fence and (to crow) very sadly. The cock (to say) he (to hide), because he (to know) that some guests (to come) soon to his master, and the master (to want) to cook the cock for dinner. So they (to go) together to the town of Bremen.

They (to continue) walking all day, and when night (to come), they still (to go) along the road in the darkness. Suddenly they (to see) a light in the distance, and (to go) in that direction. While they (to come) nearer and nearer, the light (to burn) brighter and brighter and (to get) bigger and bigger. At last they (to understand) that it was the light from the window of a small house. When they (to reach) the house, the dog (to jump) on the back of the ass, the cat (to climb) on the back of the dog, and the cock (to fly) up on the back of the cat. The cook (to look) into the window, and his friends (to ask) him what (to go) on in the room. He (to answer) that he (to see) a table with lots of food, and several robbers, who (to sit) at the table and (to enjoy) themselves. The musicians (to decide) to frighten the robbers, and they (to begin) singing together. The noise was terrible. The cock (to crow), the dog (to bark), the cat (to mew), and the ass (to bray) very loudly. The robbers (not to understand) what (to happen), and where the music (to come) from. In fear, they (to jump) up and (to run) out into the wood.

The robbers (to wait) for some time, but then (to decide) to return and see what (to go) on in their house. It was dark when they (to go) in. The cat (to sleep) near the fireplace, but his eyes were open and they (to shine) like two little coals. The robbers (to think) that some coals (to burn) in the fireplace, and they (to want) to make a fire from them. But as soon as they (to come) near, the cat (to jump) at them, and a terrible fight (to begin): the cat (to scratch) their faces, and the dog (to bite) their legs, and the ass (to kick) them with his legs. And the cock, who (to sit) on the window-sill, (to crow) loudly all the time. The robbers (to run) out as fast as they could, and (not to return) to the house any more.

(After The Brothers Grimm)

Ïåðåâåä³òü ïðîïîçèö³¿ íà àíãë³éñüêó ìîâó. |  The verb |  Present indefinite (simple) tense |  Negative Sentences |  Interrogative sentences |  Regular Verbs |  Irregular Verbs |  Present continuous (progressive) tense |  Present indefinite (simple) tenses |  Ïåðåâåä³òü òàê³ ïðîïîçèö³¿. |

© 2016-2022  um.co.ua - ó÷áîâ³ ìàòåð³àëè òà ðåôåðàòè