Focus on Grammar

1. Ex. 18. There are 2 grammar mistakes in each sentence. Try to find them and correct.
  2. Exercise 2. Match interjections (see grammar commentary) with their meaning.
  3. FOCUS ON FUNCTION
  4. Focus on Grammar
  5. Focus on Grammar
  6. Focus on Grammar
  7. Focus on Grammar

Complex Object

Object + InfinitiveObject + Participle

I asked Tom to helpme. I saw her crossingthe street.

He would like me to come. I want it explained.

They made me do it.

Complex Object is used after certain verbs:

1) denoting order, request (ask, tell, order, force, etc.)

The teacher told us to dothis exercise.

They forced us to agreewith them.

2) denoting mental perception, thinking (think, consider, believe, expect, mean, know, etc.)

I consider him to be a good student.

, -

3) wish, want, like, dislike, hate, have (= allow), get (= make)

I want you to visit us tomorrow.

, .

After these 3 groups of verbs Infinitive of the Complex Object construction is used with "to".

4) after the verbs denoting sensual perception (feel, see, hear, watch, notice)

I heard her singingin the next room.

, .

I heard her sing once.

, .

Present Participle is used to stress a simultaneous action.

5) after let (); make ().

Let me do it. .

I'll make you do it .

After these 2 groups of verbs Infinitive of the Complex Object construction is used without "to".

6) after find, imagine, fancyParticiple I is used in the Complex Object construction.

They found me readinga newspaper. .

Fancyher doingit. , .

7) after believe, consider, feel, find, get, have, keep, leave, like, make, see, think, want, watch, should / would likePast Participle can be used in the Complex Object construction.

I wantit done. , .

Get the papers typed., .

Complex Object 䳺 to permit to enable. (Infinitive Active):

The new equipment enables the operator to finish parts with more accuracy. - .

䳺 Complex Object Infinitive Passive, , .

The new device enables the lathe to be used for a greater range of work .. .

Exercise 1.Translate into Russian.

1. He heard someone call his name. 2. I expect this translation to have been finished by June. 3. He ordered dinner to be served at eight. 3.Your enthusiasm makes me feel young again. 5. His knowledge of English helped him find a good job. 6. I want you to follow my advice. 7. We did not expect them to have come earlier than we did. 8. When will you have your PC fixed? 9. We consider him to be an expert in physical chemistry. 10. Who made you think so? 11. Can you fancy him wearing this suit? 12. I except her to arrive in London on Saturday. 13. She let me persuage them to join us. 14. You may leave the plates unwahsed. We'll do them later. 15. Fancy meeting them here. 16. I will not have anything said against her. 17. We got the matters arranged very quickly.

Exercise 2.Paraphrase the following using a Complex Object with

an Infinitive, Participle I or Participle II.

1. He heard that someone called his name. 2. Mother used to watch how I was playing tennis. 3. I want that everything has been arranged by the time I come. 4. He hated it when people were impolite to him. 5. He thought he was fit for the job. 6. When we called for him, we found that he had already left. 7. He expected that his efforts would be paid back. 8. They heard how the woman said something. 9. People who knew her felt that she was a woman of strong will. 10. What I want is that you both should be happy.

Exercise 3.Use the correct forms of the infinitives in parenthesis.

1. We can assume the following principle (to be) rather true. 2. We know the third machine in the line (to be) a duplicate of the first one. 3. They supposed the new equipment (to double) the output since it was introduced. 4. The director found the workers (to discuss) the advantages of the new method of cold metal treatment. 5. I want this experiment (to continue). I believe it (to be) a success. 6. Application of the results of this experiment will enable us (to simplify) the casting process. 7. The author believes it (to state) in the earlier works of his colleagues that controlled-atmoshere furnaces may be employed to prevent the formation of scale. 8. They heard them (to argue) about the shortcomings of the invention. 9. I shall have this translation (to do). I have no time to do it myself.

Text 2

Focus on Grammar | Education | Comprehension Check | Alloy Steels | Lexical Exercises | Exercise 5. More about word-building: Prefixes. | Focus on Grammar | Gerund , , . | Thanksgiving Day | Aluminum |

© um.co.ua -