The federal, state, and local governments all have laws that protect the consumer.
Federal Law. Congress passes many consumer protection laws. These laws protect consumers in several ways:
First, they prohibit unfair trade practices, such as false advertising, unfair pricing, and mislabeling.
Second, federal laws set standards for the quality, safety, and reliability of many goods and services.
Third, the federal government has establishedmanу agencies that help consumers.
Fourth, Congress passes laws and agencies issue rules to improve the operation of the marketplace. With right information, consumers will be able to make smarter choices.
Fifth, а new federal law, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), protects consumers against discrimination on the basis of disability.
Слова і вирази:
protect (V) - захищати
pass (V) - проводити, пропускати
prohibit (V) - забороняти
mislabeling (N) - відсутність етикетки
set (V) - встановлювати
reliability (N, U) - надійність
establish (V) - заснувати
disability (N, C / U) - інвалідність
II. Дайте відповідь на наступні питання.
1. How can laws protect consumers?
2. How do federal laws protect consumers?
3. What is the ADA?
4. What do you know about the consumer laws in Russia?
5. Have your consumer rights ever been violated? Tell about your case.
6. Tell about any situation when person or group of people tried to defend their consumer rights.
7. What would you like to improve in consumer laws?