Ãîëîâíà

ESSENTIAL VOCABULARY

1.  A) Draw a family tree for yourself and using the topical vocabulary explain the relationship between your immediate ancestors and any interesting facts about them.
  2.  Active Vocabulary
  3.  Active Vocabulary
  4.  Active vocabulary
  5.  Active Vocabulary
  6.  Active Vocabulary
  7.  Active vocabulary

1. avoidvt to keep away from, as to avoid a person, speaking to smb. meeting smb, mentioning smth, mistakes, bad company, a quarrel, an argument, a scandal, a difficulty (difficulties), an attack, danger, evil, a punishment, an accident, answering, etc., e. g. What have I done? Why are you avoiding me? We only just avoided an accident. The doctor told her to avoid fatty meat (eating much fat).

avoidablea that can be avoided, e. g. I'm sure the quarrel was quite avoidable.ydur interference spoiled everything.

Ant. unavoidable, e. g. The accident was unavoidable, the man ran out into the street too suddenly for the driver to stop the car.

2. avertvt 1) to prevent, as to avert a blow, failure, controversy, evil, the gathering storm (Fig.), etc., e. g. I did my best to avert the danger. Was not it possible to avert the accident? War was averted by a timely peace mission.

Syn.avoid

2) to turn away, as to avert one's gaze, face, thoughts, attention (from smth), e. g. She averted her eyes (gaze) from the terrible sight.

3. slighta 1) slender, slim, e. g. She is a slight girl. 2) not serious, not important, e. g. I hardly felt that slight scratch. He has a slight cold. She had a slight attack of fever.

not the slightestnot the least, e. g. I have not the slightest idea (doubt) about it.

slightlyadv somewhat; to a slight degree, e.g. The child is only slightly hurt.

slightvt to pay too little attention to smb; to treat disrespectfully, e. g. Mary felt slighted because she was not invited to the party. Although the author's work was slighted during his lifetime, he became quite popular after his death. Aileen was slighted and insulted.

Syn. hurt

4. disgustn a very strong feeling of dislike, e. g. A great feeling of disgust overwhelmed her. She turned away in disgust when she saw the drunk man. He left the room in disgust over their petty quarrel.

disgustvt to cause disgust in smb, e. g. The smell of a bad egg disgusts most people. Your vulgar slang disgusts me. He was disgusted at (by) her answer. How could you say such a thing? I'm disgusted.

disgustinga causing disgust, e. g. What a disgusting smell. I find cruel treatment of animals disgusting. Look at the mess he has made of the place. It's disgusting.

5. humiliatevt to lower the dignity or self-respect of smb; to put to shame, e. g. That child who behaved badly when guests were present humiliated his parents. We felt humiliated by our failure.

humiliationn humiliating or being humiliated, e. g. I shall never forget that humiliation.

humiliatinga that humiliates, e. g. Such a humiliating experience was good for his egoism.

6. conceitn too much pride in oneself, e. g. Her self-praising letter seemed to be motivated more by conceit than a desire to communicate. The braggart's letter was full of conceit.

conceiteda full of conceit, e. g. Many performers become conceited after only modest success. The conceited man is rarely a happy man.

7. glarevt 1) to shine with a light so bright as to hurt the eyes, e. g. The sun glared down on us all day. The frozen snow glared in the morning-sunlight. A single naked bulb glared pitilessly in the centre of the room. 2) to stare angrily or fiercely, e. g. He glared at me like a bull at a red rag. A tiger glares at its prey.

glare n 1) a very bright light so strong that it is unpleasant or blinding, e. g. The unshaded bulbs threw a yellow glare over the walls. We shielded our eyes from the glare of the sun on the water. She hates the glare of publicity. 2) an angry or fierce look or stare, e. g. He looked at me with an angry glare (gave me a glare) when I said he couldn 't be trusted with the job.

glaringa 1) unpleasantly bright, e.g. The glaring headlights of a car, blinded me for a moment. There were glaring neon signs overihe buildjtag. 2) angry or fierce e, g. Her glaring eyes were suggestive of her anger. 3) easily seen, obvious, e. g. How could you overlook it? It is a glaring mistake (error). There are several glaring defects in your plan.

8. extravaganta 1) spending much more than is necessary or wise; wasteful, e. g. Dora was an extravagant wife and could never make both ends meet. She was extravagant in everything she bought.

Ant. thrifty;

2) excessively high, as extravagant expenses, claims, etc., e. g. The price is extravagant, I shall never pay so much.

extravagancen wastefulness in spending money, e. g. That fur coat is an extravagance you cant afford. His wife's extravagance ruined him.

9. cunninga clever at deceiving people; sly, e. g. Be careful. He is as cunning as a fox.

Syn. sly

cunningn skill in deceiving people, e. g. The boy showed a great deal of canning in getting what he wanted. He succeeded in his object by pure cunning.

READING COMPREHENSION EXERCISES |  Pair work. Make up and act out a diaioue using the speech patterns. |  Note down from the text (p. 200) the sentences containing the phrases and word combinations (p. 204) and translate them into Russian. |  Pair work. Make up and act out situations using the phrases and word combinations. |  Study the essential vocabulary and translate the illustrative examples into Russian. |  TOPICAL VOCABULARY |  The Field of Folklore |  C) Now discuss the opinions with your partner. |  C) Make a speech on the American tradition to celebrate Halloween. |  C) Make a round table discussion of the American holidays. |

© 2016-2022  um.co.ua - ó÷áîâ³ ìàòåð³àëè òà ðåôåðàòè