1. What types of language communication do you know?
2. What are the main characteristics of oral speech?
3. Enumerate functional styles of contemporary English.
4. What do you know about the scientific style?
5. Characterize the official style.
6. Discuss the peculiarities of the newspaper style.
7. What are the main features of the publicist style?
8. What is the status of the belles-lettres style among other functional styles?
9. What dichotomies between the types and the forms of language communication do you know? Do they correlate?
10. Can you think of any intermediate styles, boasting of qualities of two or even more "regular" styles?
* * *
Now, after you had learnt the intricacies of stylistic functioning of language units of different linguistic levels, we can try and analyze their convergence, which enhances and strengthens the given information and - still more important - creates the new, additional meaning of the message.
Starting on the road of stylistic analysis you should keep in mind at least three basic essentials:
1. Read the passage given for analysis to the end.
2. Be sure you understand not only its general content but every single word and construction, too.
3. Paying due respect to linguistic intuition which is an indispensable part of all linguistic work, be sure to look for the source of your "feeling of the text" in the material reality of the latter.
ASSIGNMENTS FOR SELF-CONTROL | ASSIGNMENTS FOR SELF-CONTROL | ASSIGNMENTS FOR SELF-CONTROL | CHAPTER IV. TYPES OF NARRATION | CHAPTER V. FUNCTIONAL STYLES | REVEALED: BRITAIN'S SECRET NUCLEAR PLANT | I hear America singing | ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE | TOBACCO CAN HELP STOP THE HAIR LOSS FROM CANCER DRUGS | US FIRM QUITS BISCUIT RACE |