Головна

In Defence of Geography

Geographers ___ (8) complain that their discipline is ___ (9) by the public for whom it remains the capitals of countries, the heights of mountains and ___ (10) of rivers. But Geography is not a static inventory of ___ (11) facts. It ___ (12) why things are where they are. Even if we have not ___ (13) experienced earthquakes, floods or famines, we are more ___ (14) today of the shifting face of the planet- rivers change their course, mountains rise, ___ (15) land may become infertile through poor techniques of ___ (16) and ___ (17) may make the desert bloom.  LEGITIMATEUNDERSTANDLONGRELATEANALYSISPERSONAWARENESSPRODUCTCULTIVATEIRRIGATE

III. Виберіть правильний по контексту варіант.

18. Water power is an important source of electricity in countries with plentiful rivers and lakes such as / for example Norway.

19. Because / Because of the severe damage, we'll have to pay compensation.

20. There had been robberies in the neighbourhood, so / so that everyone locked their doors.

21. We send the components to Taiwan so / so that they can be assembled more cheaply.

22. You could take the first bus, or alternatively / otherwise you could travel later.

23. You'd better go now. Alternatively / Otherwise you'll miss your train.

24. The Ancient Greeks discovered steam power. On the contrary / However, They did not use it industrially.

IV. Визначте, який з підкреслених елементів містить помилку.

25. Not only(A) a solar powered(B) vehicle would(C) be safe, it would also make use of(D) one of the planet's greatest natural resources.

26. My new cellular(A) phone allows me(B) send(C) text messages(D) abroad.

27. Factories which rely of(A) humans(B) working(C) on assembly(D) lines are becoming a thing of the past.

28. With all these modern gadgets about(A), We can take(B) life at(C) a more leisure(D) pace.

29. If they invested(A) more in(B) R & D, they could have developed a(C) better(D) product.

30. If well(A) maintaining(B), This machine should(C) give you years of trouble-free(D) service.

31. The(A) faster we can(B) improve quality, the most(C) profitable(D) we will become.

32. Unfortunately(A) neither(B) the documents nor the letters are not(C) ready yet(D).

33. The girl said(A) if anybody had reported(B) a missing(C) person to(D) the police yet.

34. The(A) value of(B) the currency fall(C) , Making foreign holidays more expensive(D).

V. Виберіть найбільш підходящу форму модального дієслова.

35. You need / must not use a dictionary during the exam. It's forbidden.

36. You need / must not drive me home. It is not necessary.

37. Guests may / should vacate their rooms by midday due to the hotel regulations.

38. We talked to them for hours, but they would / will not renegotiate the terms.

39. This computer is so simple that it is able to / can be operated by anyone.

40. There should / would not be problems with traffic at that time of the evening.

VI. Поставте дієслово в підходящу по контексту форму пасивного стану.

41. The benefits of exercise ___ (stress) by doctors, who know how important a healthy heart is.

42. He was the first athlete to ___ (disqualify) for use of anabolic drugs.

43. For costs ___ (reduce), we need to carry out our local survey.

44. Men ___ (suppose) to cover up such feelings as fear or grief.

45. After ___ wrongly ___ (accuse) of theft, he sued the police for $ 50,000.

46. ??This programme ___ (record) in front of a live audience yesterday.

47. I'll have the report ___ (finish) before the board meeting.

48. He deeply regretted not ___ (select) for the Olympic squad.

49. The matter ___ (look into) at the moment.

50. The project ___ (complete), we were able to leave early.

ТЕСТ 8

I. Зіставте слова, що містять префікси латинського або грецького походження з їх дефініціями.

1. Antecedent2. Decelerate3. Retrospect4. Hypocritical5. Synthesis6. Duplicity7. Bilateral  a) a review of things that have already occurredb) pretending to have qualities that one does not possessc) a combining of diverse elements into one entityd) a clever and deceitful double-dealinge) to slow downf) involving two sides, parties or opinionsg) occurring or existing prior to something else

II. Заповніть прогалини в тексті словами у відповідній за контексту формі, використовуючи слова, запропоновані праворуч від кожного рядка відповідно.

Ключі до вправ |  Упр.10 I.7 A |  Упр.10 I.22 |  Упр.10 G.14 |  глава 9 |  глава 10 |  глава 11 |  Додаток 2. Тести |  On Time |  Going Digital |

© 2016-2022  um.co.ua - учбові матеріали та реферати