38. Choose any 2 quotations from exercise 3 (warm-up section) and comment them (40-70 words each).
39. Translate the following sentences into Ukrainian. Student A - sentences 1-4, Student B - sentences 5-8, then check each other and translate them back into English. Student A - sentences 5-8, Student B - sentences 1-4.
1. "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt." Bertrand Russell
2. "The world is governed more by appearances than by realities, so that it is fully as necessary to seem to know something as to know it." Daniel Webster
3. Research carried out in Sweden indicated that people whose intelligence quotient amounts to over 115 points have a greater chance to attain the age of seventy-six.
4. Leonardo da Vinci, whose IQ was estimated for 220, is hailed the most intelligent person in the history of humankind.
5. Albeit the modern IQ tests claim to calculate agility of 13 main abilities - visual apprehension, spatial apprehension, arithmetic, logic, general knowledge, spelling, rote utilization, intuition, short term memory, geometry, algebra, vocabulary and computational speed - there is a strong bias towards mathematical comprehension.
6. Mensa has three stated purposes: to identify and foster human intelligence for the benefit of humanity, to encourage research in the nature, characteristics and uses of intelligence, and to promote stimulating intellectual and social opportunities for its members.
7. Genius is a combination of three 'I's: intellect, imagination and intuition. Every genius is partially a mystic at heart. With a high IQ, you might be a computer whiz.
8. "Common sense is as rare as genius." Ralph Waldo Emerson
40. Write some advice for students 'campus leaflet on how to raise your IQ level and, hence, to improve your academic performance.
Discuss the following questions in small groups or pairs. | In pairs or small groups, try to find the answers to the following brain boosters. | INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT IQ TESTS | Match the words and phrases (1-7) from the text with their definitions (a-g). | Rational intelligence | Choose the best word (s) from each pair in bold to complete the sentence. | Find and correct the mistakes. | Follow the directions. Use troublesome verbs. | Edit the Ukrainian translation (B). | SPEAKING |