Головна

Looking For Something Pretty

1.  Ex. 5. Say when you are going to do something.
  2.  HAVE SOMETHING DONE
  3.  HAVE SOMETHING DONE
  4.  HAVE SOMETHING DONE
  5.  He sat looking at the silent telephone.
  6.  How safe is business aviation? Not as safe as the sector would like to think. We've been looking at the latest expert views of where the dangers are
  7.  I. Listen to David telling a story about something that happened to him while traveling.

Salesgirl: Good morning, madam. Can I help you at all?

Annabel: Well, I'm looking for a dress. Something to wear at the theatre. Something pretty.

Salesgirl: Certainly, madam. Do you know what size you are?

Annabel: Well, I was 18 but I've lost a lot of weight since Christmas. I've been on a diet of bananas and milk.

Salesgirl: Bananas and milk! That does not sound very slimming. Would it be a good idea if I took your measurements?

Annabel: I feel about a size 14. And look! That's just what I wanted. That pink and primrose chiffon!

Salesgirl: I hate to tell you, madam, but you are still size 18. Do not you think something a little more tailored?

UNIT 4. INTONATION OF STATEMENTS
 інтонація затвердженого

Категоричні, спокійні, серйозні, розсудливі затвердження зазвичай вимовляються низьким спадним тоном. наприклад:

Exercise I. Read the following sentences.

1. Ann is a University student. 2. She has two brothers. 3. Mary is almost twenty. 4. My mother is a housewife. 5. They both came from quite large families. 6. Agriculture is their main occupation. 7. I live in a university flat. 8. She wants to study agriculture at the University next year. 9. It's not a very wise choice. 10. I read it carefully. 11. You can come to lunch tomorrow. 12. The children are at school now. 13. He was not right. 14. You must go now. 15. He did not see her yesterday.

Exercise II.Listen to the following sentences. Mark the stresses and tunes. Read them to your fellow-students.

1. My name's Peter. 2. I am twenty-one. 3. He is a second-year student. 4. We have a very large family. 5. My sisters 'names are Helen and Olga. 6. My younger brother's name is Mike. 7. Helen and Olga are students. 8. Mike is a pupil. 9. My mother is a doctor. 10. My fattier is a teacher. 11. He teaches Russian. 12. I like them very much.

ExerciseHI. Use Low Fall in the replies.

1. What's your name? 2. How old are you? 3. When is your birthday? 4. Have you a large family? 5. How many sisters have you? 6. How many brothers have you got? 7. Have you got any cousins? 8. What is your mother? 9. What is your father? 10. Are you a student? 11 Where do you live?

Exercise IV.Confirm the following statements according to the model. Use Low Fall.

1. Scotland is a mountainous region. 2. Aberdeen is a small town.

3. There are many lochs in Scotland. 4. Scotland is very bleak in winter. 5. It is a very wise choice. 6. We are involved in farming.

7. Mary wants to be a secretary. 8. Peter is fond of music. 9. Her family is slightly larger than average. 10. Her birthday is on the tenth of May. 11. She has two sisters. 12. Mary comes from England.

Exercise V.Listen to the dialogues. Practise and memorize them.

1. 2.

- What's your name? - What's your name?

- My name's Peter. - My name's Olga.

- How old are you? - How old are you?

- I am nineteen. - I am twenty-two.

- When is your birthday? - What are you?

- It's on the fifth of March. - I am a teacher.

- How many brothers have you? - Are you married?

- Two. - Yes, I am.

- How many sisters have you? - Have you any children?

- I have not any sisters at all. - Just one.

Exercise VI.Give conversational situations with the phrases below.

1. My name's Ann. 2. He is 12 years old. 3. I am a future teacher. 4. My parents are not old. 5. Mary is the youngest in the family. 6. John is four years older than Mary. 7. We are a happy family. 8. My wife is a doctor. 9. My son is a pupil. 10. Yes, I am.

Exercise VII.Listen to the text. Mark, the stresses and tunes. Practise and memorize it.

My full name is Jackie Rose. I am twenty-one. I am a fourth-year student of the French and Russian Department at Aberdeen University. I live in a university flat with five other girls. On week-ends I usually go home. My parents live on a farm in the north of Scotland. My parents are not old. My mother is 48. My father is 5I. He is three years older than my mother. I have two sisters. My sisters 'names are Margaret and Jocelyn. I have a brother. My brother's name is William. William is the youngest in the family. He is only sixteen. He is tall and strong. He wants to be a farmer. We are a happy family.

Exercise VIII.Listen to the text. Mark the stresses and tunes. Practise the text for test reading.

This is my family: my wife, my son, my daughter and I. I am Mr. Black. My wife is Mrs. Black. I am Mrs. Black's husband. I am a man. My wife is a woman. We have two children, a boy and a girl. The boy's name is John. He's twelve years old. The girl's name is Mary. She is still quite young. She is only eight. She is four years younger than John and he is four years older than she. Mary is the youngest in the family and I am the oldest.

Exercise IX.Make up your own story of the same kind.

UNIT 5. INTONATION OF IMPERATIVES
 Інтонація наказового способу

Зазвичай команди, накази, інструкції вимовляються низхідним тоном, а прохання - висхідним. наприклад:

Exercise I. Read the commands and requests. Observe the intonation they are pronounced with.

Exercise II.Listen to the following conversational situations. Concentrate your attention on the intonation of the reply.

Exercise III.Ask your fellow students:

(A) in a form of commands;

(B) in a form of requests.

(A) 1. to open the books at page 12. 2. to translate Text 5. 3. to underline all the verbs in the sentence. 4. to read the sentence aloud. 5. to correct the mistakes in the test. 6. to render Text 1. 7. to open the window. 8. not to look at you.

(B) 1. to wait a moment. 2. to open the book. 3. to fetch some chalk. 4. to repeat reading rules. 5. to write a letter to his friend. 6. to go to the cinema. 7, to find a new pen. 8. to cheer, up. 9. not to ask many questions. 10. not to read aloud.

Exercise IV.Listen to the dialogues. Practise and memorize them.

1. - Let's go to the theatre.

- Fine. Phone Ann and invite her too. Tell her to meet us at 6.

- Right. Shall I do it now?

- Do not be silly. Do it when you can.

2. - Will you tell me the way to Trafalgar Square?

- Certainly. Go down Regent Street to Piccadilly Circus. Turn to the left then.

- Thank you. Is there a bus?

- There's sure to be. Ask the policeman over there.

Exercise V. Make up your own dialogues of the same kind.

Exercise VI. Play the game. Divide the group into two teams. The leader commands: "Turn your heads to the right." The rest of the students must fulfil his command. If they fail to do it, they will be out of game. The list of commands:

Turn your head to the left / to the right; Bend your body to the left / to the right; Forward; Hands up / down; Open / Close your eyes; Put your hands on your head; Right hand up; Left hand down; Touch your right ear, etc.

UNIT 6. INTONATION OF GENERAL QUESTIONS
 Інтонація ЗАГАЛЬНИХ ПИТАНЬ

Загальні питання зазвичай вимовляються висхідним тоном. наприклад:

Exercise I.Read the sentences according to the given model.

1. Is Peter twenty? 2. Is your name John? 3. Do you speak English? 4. Do you study at the Institute? 5. Do you live in the hostel? 6. Does she like to work in the garden? 7. Does she know Mary? 8. Is your family large? 9. Are your brothers teachers? 10. Is it difficult to find a job in London? 11. Does Helen study at a local comprehensive school? 12. Are you a pupil?

Exercise II. Listen to your fellow-student reading these questions. Tell him what his errors in intonation are.

1. Are you eighteen? 2. Are you a first-year student? 3. Do you study at the Moscow Teacher Training University? 4. Do you know English well? 5. Is your future speciality history? 6. Are you a future teacher? 7. Do you live with your parents? 8. Is your University far from your home? 9. Will it take you an hour to get to the University? 10. Did you have four exams last term?

Exercise III.Ask to repeat the following statements using general questions as in the given model.

1. This is a large park. 2. This is an interesting book. 3. This is Peter's brother. 4. This is her younger sister. 5. This is their new flat. 6. This is a comfortable arm-chair. 7. This is a student. 8. This is his wife. 9. This is their teacher. 10. This is exercise three. 11. This is a difficult text.

Exercise IV. Ask general questions using the given model.

1. I am not a university student. 2. Yes, my mother is a secretary. 3. Peter has not a family of his own. 4. Olga is fond of music. 5. I study at the Institute. 6. Her name is Mary. 7. I have no grandparents. 8. They live in London. 9. Ann is ten. 10. She does not like coffee. 11. She prefers tea.

Exercise V.Listen to the dialogues and reproduce them. Observe the intonation of general questions.

1. - Am I a teacher? - Yes, you are.

- Are you a student? - Yes. I am.

- Are you English? - No, I am not.

- Do you speak English? - Yes, I do.

- Does your friend speak - Yes, he does, but only a little. English?

2. - We want to go on a hike on Sunday. Will you join us?

- Certainly. Shall we go to Golitsino? The place is delightful.

- Yes. Shall we take Alice with us?

- Of course. Can you meet her at the station?

- Yes.

Exercise VI.Complete these sentences. Observe correct pronunciation of general questions.

1. Is your name ... 2. Are you ... 3. Are you fond of ... 4. Have you ... 6. Is your brother ... 6. Is your sister ... 7. Do you study ... 8. Do you live ... 9. Are your parents ... 10. Do you know ...

Exercise VII.Play the game "Guess an object". Mark the stresses and tunes.

1. Is it in this room? - Yes; 2. Can I see it? - Yes;

3. Is it made of metal? - No; 4. Is.it made of wood? - Yes;

5. Could I carry it? - No; 6. Is it useful? - Yes;

7. Has it got legs? - Yes; 8. Is it the chair? - No;

9. Is it the table? - Yes.

Exercise VIII.Make up your own guessing game.

Exercise IX.Read the questions and answer them.

1. Are you quite well-prepared for your exams? 2. Shall we write a test tomorrow? 3. Are you ready to go? 4. Can you do it? 5. Do you have time to go in for sports? 6. Does your brother play the piano? 7. Is it raining? 8. Is your mother Russian? 9. Will you invite me to your evening party? 10. Is Paris as large as London? 11. Do you live in London? 12. Does Peter smoke?

Exercise X.Read the dialogue and act it out.

Were You at Home Last Night?

Sergeant: Good evening, Sir. Mr Holmes?

Holmes: Good evening, officer. Yes, that's right - John Holmes. Will not you come in?

Sergeant: Thank you. May I ask you a few questions?

Holmes: Yes, of course. Will not you sit down?

Sergeant: Thank you. It's about last night. Were you at home, Mr Holmes?

Holmes: Yes, Sergeant, I was, actually. I was not feeling very well.

Sergeant: Were you alone?

Holmes: Er, yes. My wife had gone to the cinema with a friend.

Sergeant: Did you go out at all?

Holmes: No, I stayed in all evening - that is, except for a few minutes when I popped out to post a letter.

Sergeant: Do you remember what time this was?

Holmes: Yes, it was about - um - half past eight.

Sergeant: What time did you say? Half past eight? Anybody see you when you - er - popped out for 5 minutes to post your letter?

Holmes: No, I do not think so. Oh yes, just a minute. The caretaker said 'good evening'.

Sergeant: The caretaker, Mr Holmes? Mr Holmes, the caretaker was murdered last night.

UNIT 7. INTONATION OF SENTENCES WITH "THERE + TO BE"
 Інтонація речення, які починаються ОБІГОМ «THERE + ТО BE»

У пропозиціях, що починаються обігом "There + to be ", обставина місця, як правило, неударні або полуударно і не утворює окрему синтагму. Обставина місця, яке стоїть перед оборотом "There + to be", зазвичай вимовляється висхідним тоном і виділяється в окрему синтагму. наприклад:

Exercise I. Read the sentences, observe the correct pronunciation.

1. There are twelve months in a year. 2. There are four seasons in a year. 3. There are sixty minutes in an hour. 4. Is there a farm beyond the forest? 5. Are there any mistakes in your dictation? 6. On my table there are two exercise-books and a text-book. 7. In a fortnight there are two weeks. 8. In a month there are four weeks. 9. Are there thirty days in November? 10. Is there a blackboard in the room? 11. There are some flowers on the window. 12. Under the window there is a radiator.

Exercise II.Confirm the following statements using "There + to be ".

1. You've got a book in front of you. 2. You've got many foreign books in your library. 3. You've got various animals at home. 4. She has got three mistakes in her test. 5. You've got no laboratory on the floor. 6. She's got no mistakes in her reading. 7. You can see a farm near the forest. 8. You can see a lot of interesting pictures in this book. 9. You can see nobody in this room. 10. You can see a large family in this picture. 11. You can not see any mistakes in her test. 12. You can see many countries on this map.

Exercise III.Read the questions and answer them.

1. Are there windows in your classroom? 2. Is there a blackboard on the wall? 3. Is there any chalk at the blackboard? 4. Is there a duster at the blackboard? 5. Is there a bookcase in the room? 6. Are there any pictures on the wall? 7. Is there a map on the wall? 8. Is there a tape-recorder on the table? 9. Are there many desks in your classroom? 10. Are there many books on your table? 11. Are there any flowers on the window? 12. Are there any flowers on the teacher's table? 13. Is there a teacher in the room?

Exercise IV.Read the text and retell it.

Let's have a look at this picture of our classroom. On the left there are two large windows. On the windows there are some nice flowers. Under the window there's a radiator. There is a blackboard in front of the desks. There is some chalk and a duster at the blackboard. There are ten desks in our classroom. On the desks there are tape-recorders and two tapes. There is a bookcase with many books on the right. To the left of the bookcase there is a large map.

Exercise V. (A) Describe your room at home or in your hostel, (b) Describe your house.

UNIT 8. INTONATION OF DISJUNCTIVE QUESTIONS
 Інтонація розділового питання

Розділові питання складаються з двох інтонаційних груп. Перша інтонаційна група зазвичай вимовляється з низхідним тоном. Інтонація другий синтагми залежить від ставлення мовця. Якщо мовець не впевнений у відповіді і чекає думки співрозмовника, то друга інтонаційна група вимовляється з висхідним тоном. наприклад:

Якщо мовець впевнений у відповіді і не чекає його, то друга частина вимовляється з низхідним тоном. наприклад:

Exercise I. In the following sentences read the statements and the tags with a fall. (The speaker expects the listener to agree with him.)

1. There are 18 faculties at our University, are not there? 2. Our University is the oldest in our country, is not it? 3. You finished school last year, did not you? 4. He's got a new job, has not he? 5. That was most unfair, was not it? 6. We must hurry, must not we? 7. He teaches English, does not he? 8. He always has lunch at one, does not he? 9. You do not believe me, do you? 10. We shall see each other again, shall not we? 11. We had no choice, had we? 12. I was right, was not I? 13. Today's the tenth, is not it? 14. She has three children, has not she? 15. I could try again, could not I?

Exercise II.In the following sentences read the statements with a fall and the tags with a rise.

(The speaker is asking the listener's opinion.)

1. You did not tell anybody, did you? 2. You're taking the exam in June, are not you? 3. It's quite impossible, is not it? 4. She'll be starting school next year, will not she? 5. I asked you before, did not I? 6. I suppose that is true, is not it? 7. Everyone agreed, did not they? 8. It's going to rain, is not it? 9. No one was hurt, were they? 10. There was no answer, was not there? 1Г. She never waits, does she? 12. I'd better go, had not I? 13. You do smoke, do not you? 14. We last met in March, did not we? 15. They were too late, were not they?

Exercise III.Read the sentences according to the given model. Observe the difference in meaning.

1. There is a new time-table for this term, is not there? 2. You do not know this student, do you? 3. We shall have two seminars today, shall not we? 4. There were many unknown words in this text, were not there? 5. All the students study foreign languages, do not they? 6. You live in the hostel, do not you? 7. You have four exams this term, do not you? 8. The Institute course lasts five years, does not it? 9. You study at the historical faculty, do not you? 10. She is a bright student, is not she?

Exercise IV. Complete the following sentences making them disjunctive questions. (The speaker is asking the listener's opinion.)

1. Jackie does not study at the Russian department. 2. Your University was awarded two orders. 3. The students are usually interested in the history of their University. 4. Its history dates back to November 1872. 5. She passed her exams with excellent marks. 6. There are many new words in Text 3. 7. There is no laboratory at our faculty. 8. Your University has become a great scientific centre of methodical and pedagogical activities. 9. Mary wants to stay at home. 10. It was very cold. It's not hot. 11. It is not difficult. 12. Your name is Olga.

Exercise V. Complete the following sentences making them disjunctive questions. (The speaker expects the listener to agree with him.)

1. She'll wait. 2. He lives in Aberdeen. 3. She is beautiful. 4. He is tall for his age. 5. You finished school two years ago. 6. Jack has no sense of humour. 7. Now it's your turn. 8. It was useful. 9. You do not mind. 10. You're surely not frightened. 11. You can not speak German yet. 12. The text is easy.

Exercise VI.Listen to the dialogue. Mark the stresses and tunes. Practise and memorize it.

- It's a nice day, is not it?

- Yes, it is.

- You are on holiday, are not you?

- Yes, I am.

- It's a long one, is not it?

- Yes, it is.

- You do not talk very much, do you?

- No, I do not. You ask a lot of questions, do not you?

- Yes, I do.

Exercise VII.Make up a dialogue with the phrases below.

I am not too early, am I?

It was difficult, was not it?

You've got an excellent mark, have not you?

You like history, do not you?

You do not talk much, do you?

You are in a hurry, are not you?

Exercise VIII.Read the dialogue and act it out.

Fish like a Bit of Silence, Do not They?

Passer-by: Nasty weather, is not it?

Fisherman: All right if you're a duck.

Passer-by: Come here regularly, do not you?

Fisherman: Yes, I do.

Passer-by: Come fishing every Sunday, do not you?

Fisherman: That's right.

Passer-by: Not many other people today, are there?

Fisherman: No there are not, are there?

Passer-by: Caught some fish already, have not you?

Fisherman: No, not yet.

Passer-by: Stay here all day, will you?

Fisherman: I should like to.

Passer-by: You do not mind if I sit down, do you? My talking does not disturb you, does it?

Fisherman: No, but it seems to disturb the fish.

Passer-by: Ah, they like a bit of silence, do not they? Same as me. I like a bit of peace, too, do not you?

UNIT 9. INTONATION OF ALTERNATIVE QUESTIONS
 Інтонація АЛЬТЕРНАТИВНИХ ПИТАНЬ

Альтернативні питання зазвичай мають висхідний тон в першій інтонаційній групі і спадний - в другій. наприклад:

Exercise I. Ask your fellow-student the following alternative questions.

1. Is your name Peter or Nick? 2. Are you twenty or twentyone? 3. Do you study English or French? 4. Are you a student or a teacher? 5. Are you a first or a second-year student? 6. Do you live at home or in the hostel? 7. Do you take exam in English in the fourth or in the third course? 8. Do you read the Times or the Moscow News? 9. Are there 15 or 14 faculties in our University? 10. Have you got a small or a large family? 11. Have you a sister or a brother? 12. Is your favourite subject history or pedagogics?

Exercise II. Make up alternative questions using the following sentences.

1. This text is difficult. This text is easy. 2. She studies German. She studies English. 3. They go to the Crimea every year. They go to the Caucasus every year. 4. Your family is big. Your family is small. 5. There are five members in Ann's family. There are six members in Ann's family. 6. You study at the Institute. You study at the University. 7. She has passed her exam in English. She has passed her exam in history. 8. It takes Helen an hour to get to the Institute. It takes Helen half an hour to get to the Institute. 9. Peter is a hard-working student. Peter is a lazy-bones. 10. There is much milk at home. There is little milk at home. 11. There are many students in the room. There are few students in the room. 12. There is much snow in Moscow in winter. There is little snow in Moscow in winter.

ExerciseHI. Complete the following questions using the words in brackets.

1. Does the University course last four years? (Five years) 2. Is this time-table new? (Old) 3. Do you do your homework at home (at the University) 4. Do you have many mistakes in your test? (Few mistakes) 5. Is your Institute named after M. Lomonosov? (University) 6. Was your University awarded two orders? (Three orders) 7. Does your University train students of day department? (Evening department) 8. Have you got a seminar in history today? (In pedagogics) 9. Have you got two lectures today? (Two seminars) 10. Is she better today? (Worse) 11. Does she study well? (He) 12. Is Ann a lazybones? (Helen) 13. Have you read about the system of education in Greece? (Have heard) 14. Can you speak Chinese? (Write)

Exercise IV. Ask to repeat the following statements using alternative questions.

1. Aberdeen University is old but not new. 2. She studies German but not English. 3. She has sisters but not brothers. 4. He has got a seminar in history but not in pedagogics. 5. She is sure to fail in physics but not in Russian. 6. She has got many mistakes in her reading but not few. 7. There is much work to do but not little. 8. There are 1 $ faculties at our University but not 14. 9. The history of our University dates back to 1872 but not to 1870. 10. Today according to the time-table we have two seminars but not two lectures. 11. She knows the system of education in ancient Rome but not in ancient Greece. 12. He likes football but not hockey.

Exercise V. Listen to short dialogues. Mark the stresses and tunes. Read them.

1. - Does Peter play indoor or outdoor games?

- Outdoor games, I think.

- Does he prefer football or hockey?

- Neither. He is fond of lawn tennis and motor-cycling.

- Is it easy or difficult to be in the sports club?

- It is not very difficult, especially if you are a good sportsman.

2. - Do you often travel?

- Yes, I like travelling.

- Do you travel for pleasure or on business?

- Both.

. - Do you like to travel by air or by train?

- By air. It combines comfort and speed.

Exercise VI. Make up short dialogues with alternative questions and reproduce them.

Exercise VII. Play the game "Where is it" using the alternative questions. Guess the city (country, river, ocean, mountain, etc.). The list of questions:

Is it in Asia or in Europe?

Is it in a big or a small town?

Is it near the mountains or near the sea?

Is it in the north or in the south? etc.

There must be no more than 10 questions.

A Sweet Siamese Student |  A Special Washing Machine |  George Churchill |  A Lovely Little lion |  A Dreadful Train Crash |  The Hat in the Window |  UNIT 26. WEAK FORMS OF WORDS |  A Few General Rules |  Синтагма |  Table of Notation in the Text |

© 2016-2022  um.co.ua - учбові матеріали та реферати