VIII. Fill in the gaps with appropriate words from exercises VI and VII.

1. A) Read the text and look up the unknown words in the dictionary.
  2. A) Read the text and look up the unknown words in the dictionary.
  3. A) Study the following words and learn them. Learn the words by heart.
  4. Additional exercises
  5. Additional exercises
  6. B. Now match the words from this list to their definitions.
  7. B. Try to predict the contexts in which these words might occur or the problems which may be related to them.
  1. He's rather ___ and never stops telling you how wonderful he is. 2. I wish you were not so ___. Why can not you pay for the coffee for once? 3. Going out in the middle of winter without a jacket was rather a ___ thing to do. 4. They are very ___. They let us stay in their house and lent us a car. 5. There's no need to be so ___. You deserve to be proud of yourself. 6. Claire's very ___. She never leaves the office until after six o'clock. 7. Brian's a very ___ sort of guy. Nothing seems to worry him. 8. I can not believe Emma's husband is so ___. He just sits and watches TV all evening. 9. Alice is not very ___. She's always saying the wrong thing. 10. You can always ask Carol for advice. Though she is young, she is quite ___. 11. Bob's really ___. He wants to get the supervisor's job and then become boss for the whole department.

IX. What prefix forms the opposite of each of these words?

Sensitive, ambitious, patient, reliable, honest, kind, modest, reasonable, sociable, polite, friendly, considerate.

X. What nouns can be formed from these adjectives? Use a dictionary to help you.

Quiet, calm, talkative, sociable, friendly, shy, thoughtful, considerate, moody, lively, cheerful, polite, rude, reliable, sophisticated, aggressive, ambitious, generous, honest, kind, lazy, mean, modest, nervous, optimistic, patient, pessimistic, sensitive, silly, untidy.

XI. Use the words given in brackets at the end of each sentence to form a word that fits in the space in the same sentence.

1. Mike is well-known for his ___ when it comes to giving presents. (Generous)
  2. My aunt has an obsession about ___ and cleans the whole house from top to bottom every day. (Tidy)
  3. One reason for his ___ is that his own father was very stingy. (Mean)
  4. Bob is much respected for his ___ and ___ disposition. (Reliable; cheerful)
  5. Mary's ___ and ___ won her a lot of friends. (Sociable; friendly)
  6. Your son spoke to me very ___ yesterday. (Rude) I will not tolerate his ___behaviour any longer. (Polite)
  7. Martin looked very___ and we were afraid he would start fighting. (Aggressive)
  8. The criminal looked ___ at the police and made threats against them. (Aggressive)
  9. The speaker was ___ but managed to sound ___. (Nervous; calm)
  10. None of us believed his ___because he gave an impression of a ___person. (Honest; honest)

XIII. Arrange all the adjectives from both personality word lists in three groups: a) adjectives describing positive qualities; b) adjectives describing negative ones; c) adjectives describing both.

XIV. a) Do the personality quiz to discover what type of person you are. Write Yes, No, or Sometimes.

1. Are you usually smiling and happy?
  2. Do you enjoy the company of other people?
  3. Do you find it difficult to meet new people?
  4. Do you have definite plans for your future career?
  5. Does your mood change often and suddenly for no reason?
  6. Do you notice other people's feelings?
  7. Do you think the future will be good?
  8. Can your friends depend on you?
  9. Is your room often a mess?
  10. Do you get annoyed if you have to wait for anyone or anything?
  11. Do you put off till tomorrow what you could do today?
  12. Do you work hard?
  13. Do you keep your feelings and ideas to yourself?
  14. Do you often give presents?
  15. Do you talk a lot?
  16. Are you usually calm and not worried by things?

b) Describe your own character. Point out three good and three bad things about you. Explain what makes you think you are like that. Follow the scheme:

On the plus side, I think I'm ___. For example, I usually___.

I'm not only___ but also___. That means I ___.

And I can definitely saythat I'm ___, because___.

But nobody is perfect. Unfortunately, I can be ___. That is ___.

Besides,I'm sometimes ___. You see ___.

Also, I'm often ___, I'm sorry to say.

To be honest, I ___.

XV. a) Work with a partner. Ask your partner to do the quiz about you. Compare your ideas and your partner's ideas about you. Are they the same or different?

d) Say what you and your partner agree / disagree about. Follow the scheme:

Both my partner and Ithink that ___.

We are bothof the opinion ___.

We agreethat ___.

Both of usbelieve ___.

I think that ___butmy partner does not agree. He / she believes___.

In my opinion, I'm ___. However,my partner is not sure about that.

I consider myself to be ___ whilemy partner is of the opinion that __.

XVI. Describe someone in the group, but do not say their name. Can your group mates guess who it is?

XVII. Translate these sentences into English:

1. . 2. ' . ³ . 3. . . .

4. , . . . . 5. , . 6. -, , .

VOCABULARY NOTES | EXERCISES | IV. Combine the adjectives in A with the nouns in B. Give as many combinations as it is possible. | Wanted dead or alive | EXERCISES | Part II | Listen to the descriptions and fill in the gaps in the passages below. | Practice the passages for good reading. | You are going to listen to a conversation between Annie, a young girl, and her grandmother. Answer the questions. | VOCABULARY NOTES |

© um.co.ua -