I.Give English equivalents of the following Russian words and word-combinations:
Старий; літній; молодий; середнього віку; трохи за двадцять; немає ще тридцяти; близько п'ятдесяти; неповнолітній; в розквіті життєвих сил; на схилі віку; виглядати на свій вік; виглядати молодше / старше за свій вік; бути одного віку; досягти повноліття.
II. Match the expressions on the left with those on the right:
1. He's 14. a) He is in his late teens.
2.He's 28. b) He's in his early forties.
3.He's 35. c) He's fairly elderly.
4. He's 48. d) He's in his mid-thirties.
5. He's 42. e) He's in his early teens.
6 He's 85. f) He's middle-aged.
7. He's 19. g) He's in his late twenties.
III. Point out the sentences in exercise IIofwhich the following statements can be true:
1. He has just come of age. 2. He's still under age. 3. He's in the prime of youth. 4. He's in the prime of life. 5. He's already past his prime.
IV. Use these words to complete the expressions with 'age' below:
same less (younger) look as
under more (older) of (2 times) than
1. Our son is the ___ age ___ the boy next door. They're in the same class.2. Is their daughter ___ age yet? - No, she is still ___ age. She'll come ___ age next year. 3. She does not ___ her age. 4. Every woman wants to look ___ than her age. 5. Hardships make people look ___ than their age. 6. You're not really 50, are you? I do not believe it. You look less ___ your age.
VOCABULARY NOTES | EXERCISES | EXERCISES | VOCABULARY NOTES | EXERCISES | IX. Choose the closest description from the list for each person. Make each description more accurate. | VOCABULARY NOTES | VOCABULARY NOTES | EXERCISES | VOCABULARY NOTES |