1) In banking, you can __________ with the big bonuses and retire at 35.
2) When you __________ , you can arrange your own schedule, so this is very convenient when you have children.
3) People who work in sales often have the opportunity to __________on top of a basic salary.
4) Luke is ambitious and does not want to be a sales assistant all his life. In fact, he hopes to ___________ and become Assistant Manager very soon.
5) Many students __________ when they are at university because it fits in with their studies.
6) Goran is 59, but he does not want to __________ . In fact, he is taking on more work!
"Work and Jobs"
1. Complete the text with the following phrases:
|responsibilities work on work with||work under work for deal with||run manage responsible for||in charge of make sure|
Kerstin is talking about her job:
"I (1) ___a large European car maker. I (2) ___car design. In fact, I (3) ___the design department and I (4) ____a team of designers: 20 people (5) ____me. It's very interesting. One of my main (6) ____is to (7) _____that new model designs are finished on time. I'm also (8) ____design budgets.
I (9) ____a lot of different people in the company. I'm (10) _____co-ordination between design and production: I (11)_____managers at our manufacturing plants".
2. Complete the sentences with the following words in the correct form: involve, look, be in charge, make sure, deal, be responsible
1. Marcel Lacour works for Research & Development. His job ______ developing new products and new ideas.
2. Tatiana Vasilieva is the receptionist. She _____ after visitors and takes messages.
3. Kate Hughes works for Administration and Personnel. She _____ with staff problems as well as with recruitment and training.
4. Linda Eriksen is our Quality Control Inspector. She _____ for monitoring our products and trying to improve their quality.
5. Sergio Carboni is our new Maintenance Engineer. He checks all our equipment regularly and ______ of all repairs.
6. Zoltan Jilly is our Security Officer. He _____ that our staff and premises are protected against crime.
3. Speak about your present/future job using the following words and phrases and the text in ex.6 as an example
|I am a ... I work in/for/on/with .... I am responsible for/in charge of ... run manage make sure deal with spend a lot of time on clients/customers/business partners||report meet go on business prepare (financial) reports have important meetings/negotiations discuss figures/projects/sales talk about market strategies/business targets negotiate conclude/sign contracts|
4. Read the word combinations with WORK. Then complete the text with correct preposition
"... The economy is growing fast and more people are in work than ever before. The percentage of people out of work has fallen to its lowest level for 30 years".
Rebecca lives in London and works in public relations. She leaves home 1)_____ work at 7.30 am. She drives (2) ______ work.The traffic is often bad and she worries about getting (3) ______ work late, but she usually arrives (4) ________ work at around nine. She finishes work quite late, at about eight. 'Luckily, I'm never ill,' she says.'I could never take the time (5) ______ work.'
She loves what she does and is glad to be (6) _____ work. Some of her friends are not so lucky: they are (7) ______ work.
ДЛЯ МАГИСТРОВ | ВВЕДЕНИЕ | Read the dialogue and guess the meaning of the words in bold | Complete the sentences with correct words from the dialogue | C) Give your examples of highly skilled, skilled, semi-skilled and unskilled jobs | Career advice for junior managers | Study the examples of CVs | Reading and Speaking | Read the post from a business blog. Pay attention to the words and phrases in bold | It's time to sack job appraisals |