Вправа 1.Виберіть правильний варіант.
1. I wish it ......... (---, would not rain, did not rain, had not rained) tomorrow so hard.
2. He wished he ......... (---, could have stopped, could stop) smoking.
3. Janet wished she ......... (---, paid, would pay, had paid) more attention to her mother when she was alive.
4. We wished we ........... (---, knew, had known, would know) about the accident then.
5. I wish you ...... (---, loved, would love, had loved) poetry as much as I do.
6. She wished she ....... (----, met, had met) him at the meeting.
7. At times he poor student wished he ...... (---, took, would take, had taken up) another topic for his graduate work.
8. The kind girl wished there ......... (---, had been, would be, were) no homeless people in the world.
9. The sleepy boy wished he ......... (---, had not played, did not play, would not play) computer games all night long.
10. I wish I ........ (---, visited, would visit, had visited) Scotland next summer.
Вправа 2.Перефразуйте наступні пропозиції, вживаючи конструкцію I wish ....
I do not know many people (and I'm lonely).
I wish I knew more people.
Вправа 3.Прочитайте і переведіть завдання. Виконайте вправу.
There are three distinct types of I wish / if only sentences:
1 - REGRETS with the PAST PERFECT (the third conditional) e.g. I wish I had not got so angry.
2 - WANTING CHANGE FOR THE PRESENT OR FUTURE with the PAST SIMPLE e.g. I wish I had enough money to go to Mozambique this summer.
3 - COMPLAINTS with WOULD + INFINITIVE e.g. I wish you would not arrive so late all the time.