Головна

Comment on the meaning of the modal verbs and translate the sentences into Russian;

1. A) Read and translate the text to know more about Sochi.
  2. A) Study the definitions of the words with similar meanings and think about their proper Russian equivalents.
  3. A) translate the illustrative examples into Russian;
  4. A) What is the purpose of foundations? Express your opinion in 3-5 sentences.
  5. Add these sentences with correct variant according to the text. Using as a plan speak briefly about Water Supply
  6. And write your own sentences with the same word-combinations,
  7. Ask all the possible questions to the following sentences

1. If you want to meet lots of English people, you might like to go to a holiday camp. 2. The only trouble is 1 could not take my exams in spring and must have them now. 3. My parents had to go on an expedition, they are geologists, as you know, and I was left to keep house. 4. You are to take a table-spoonful of this mixture three times a day. S. In this hurry-scurry I must have left the sugar-basin in the dresser. 6. He could not pay his hotel bill and they would not give him any more credit. 7. The swim should not take you much over an hour and a quarter. 8.1 need not have hurried; he was not ready yet. 9, We are to have a lecture now, 10. May I have a look at the photos? 11. There must be some mistake here. 12. He said you were the prettiest girl present. - He can not have possibly meant it. 13. If you are interested in churches and historic places you should go to Westminster Abbey, the Houses of Parliament, St. Paul's and the Tower. 14. I'm told one ought to see the British Museum, 15. I could not imagine that in anEnglish paper I should have to look for the chief articles in the middle of the paper. 16. If you do not take care of yourself, you may have a nervous break-down and have to go to hospital. 17. You can not come in. You must not have the disease I have. 18. The germs of influenza can only exist in an acid condition. 19.1 hear they are to choose the players tomorrow for the All-Union match.

80. Use the verbs can oi may.

1. One ... never know what ... happen. 2. You ... have sent us a note at least! We waited for you the whole day. 3. Do you think you ... command an army? 4. Well, your wives ... not like the lady I'm gding to marry. 5. Last winter he ... be seen in the club any night. 6. What ... Anne be doing all this time in the kitchen? 7. Whatever the reason ... be, the fact remains. 8. She ... have lost her ring herself, it ... not have been stolen. 9. Who ... have said such a thing? 10. Somebody ... have given her my address. 11. Such difficulties ... be easily put up with. 12. If only I ... make him understand me properly. 13. I ... have helped him but I did not receive his letter.

81. Fill in the blanks with should, need, hare to with the appropriate form of the Infinitive:

1.1 ... (to prepare) for my coming exam yesterday, but I ... (to look after) my sick sister. 2. He ... not (to get up) early. He begins working at 9.30. 3. "I ... (to say) those wounding words," he reproached himself. 4. It is not the sort of thing one ... (to discuss) with unknown people. 5. You ... not (to worry) about money. I've got enough for both of us. 6. You ... not (to walk) all the way to the station. You ... (to take) a bus round the corner. 7. Sooner or later one ... (to choose). 8. Mother ... (to get up and down) a good bit during the meal, fetching things back and forward. 9. I managed to get there at half past twelve. But I ... not (to hurry). They had already left. 10. Breakfast is often a quick meal, because the father of the family ... (to get) away to his work, children ... (to go) to school, and the mother has her housework to do. 11. If you are interested in historic places you ... (to go) to Westminster Abbey. 12. She drew a chair near his - he wondered if he ... (to help) her with the chair - and sat down beside him. 13. They ... (to knock) twice before the door was opened. 14. She ... (not to give) money to her boy. Then it would not have happened. 15. She ... (to conceal) her real feelings lest anyone ... (to notice) how unhappy she was. 16. You ... (not to come) yourself. You may send somebody else.

82. Translate the sentences into English, using modal verbs:

1. У нього погано із зором, і він змушений постійно носити окуляри. 2. Не потрібно дзвонити, у мене є ключ, 3. Не може бути, щоб двері були відчинені. Я сама її замикала. 4. Можливо, він уже дістав квитки, і ми зможемо піти на прем'єру в неділю. 5. Невже ти забув про нашу зустріч? 6. Йому слід було б бути обережнішим при проведенні експерименту. 7. Що він може робити там так довго? Напевно, він просто заснув. Ти ж знаєш, він може заснути де завгодно і в будь-який час. 8. Ніколи не можна судити по першому враженню. Воно може виявитися помилковим. 9. Вам слід прочитати цю книгу. Вона вам повинна сподобатися. 10. Вам обов'язково повідомлять, якщо в цьому буде необхідність. 11. О, як ви пошкодуєте про свої слова! 12. Він виглядає дуже радісним: його роботу, очевидно, схвалили. 13. Справді, ти могла б попередити мене заздалегідь! Тоді мені не довелося б витрачати стільки часу даремно. 14. Ви повинні були зробити вигляд, що не помітили, що вона кульгає. 15. Мабуть, дуже приємно подорожувати на півдні. 16. Ви могли б з таким же успіхом зробити це самі. 17, Не може бути, щоб він відправив телеграму. Він не виходив з дому. Він, напевно, забув. 18. Вам би не треба було повідомляти їм про це сьогодні. Можна було почекати до завтра.

83. Insert tee appropriate modal verb:

1. He has insulted our family and he ... suffer for it! 2. You ... not have gone out without an umbrella in such rainy weather. 3. I'm afraid I ... have sounded a bit unfriendly over the phone. 4. "I ... to have told Soames," he thought, "that I think him comic." 5. We ... live to their age, perhaps. 6. Here she ... sit, sewing and knitting, while he worked at the table. 7. Why ... you be different from other people? 8. "Good morning," said the girl. "I believe you ... be Toby. Have I guessed right?" 9. If you ... read without spectacles, and I believe you ... be so good as to read this letter for me. 10. Captain Steerforth ... I speak to you for a moment? 11. Anne felt she ... not stand much more of this discussion. She said she ... go on with her work and began to rise. 12. Why ... one make trouble for oneself when one is old? 13. ... you do me a favour and meet her .at the station? 14. He was not old, he ... not have been more than forty. 15. The day we ... to start it rained worse than ever. 16. You ... nothurry. There is plenty of time. 17. Mother has fallen ill, so I ... to change my plans. 18. We did not know what to do; the key ... not turn and we ... not get into the room. 19.1 ... not to have left Cape Town last night. I wish I had not. 20. ... I speak to Mr. Pitt, please? - I'm afraid he's out at the moment ... you ring back later?

84. Translate the sentences into English using modal verbs:

1. Його звуть Фостер. Можливо, ви чули його ім'я. 2. Жінка в синьому костюмі, що стоїть біля вікна, здається мені знайомої. Повинно бути, я десь зустрічав її. 3. Ніде не можу знайти цю платівку. Невже її розбили? 4. Даремно я сказала йому це. Ймовірно, він образився на мене. 5. Все обов'язково буде в порядку! Ваша дочка неодмінно видужає! 6. Ви вчора пізно повернулися; вам сьогодні слід раніше лягти спати. 7. Ти не повинна була так говорити з нею; вона цього не заслужила. Крім того, вона старша за тебе. 8. Необхідно, щоб кожен студент взяв участь в цьому змаганні. 9. Не можна ж без кінця говорити про одне й те ж! 10. Голова запропонував, щоб всі присутні висловили свою думку з цього питання. 11. Вам не доведеться нічого вигадувати. Вам скажуть, що робити. 12. Ви ніколи про нього не чули? Ну, так ви ще почуєте! 13. Джейн не могла забути день, який повинен був бути днем ??її весілля і який так трагічно закінчився. 14. Мені тепер не потрібно рано вставати: я вчуся у другу зміну. 15. Не може бути, щоб я пропустив його. Я весь час стояв біля дверей. 16. Нема чого йому було працювати так пізно. Частина роботи можна було відкласти на сьогодні. 17. Чи можу я запропонувати вам чашку чаю, доктор? 18. Не можна бути таким нетерплячим. Завжди слід зважати на звичками інших людей. 19. Ви повинні вести себе так, ніби нічого не сталося і не могло статися. 20. Вам часто доводиться ходити до лікаря? 21. Чи не будете ви ласкаві допомогти мені відімкнути валізу? Щось негаразд з замком, і він ніяк не відкривається. 22. Він повинен був прийти о п'ятій годині, ми чекаємо його півтори години, а його все немає. Де б він міг бути? 23. Навіщо нам допомагати йому? Він просто не хоче працювати. 24. Він надсилав їй подарунки але вона вперто не хотіла їх приймати.

SECTION TWO | SECTION FOUR | Ex. 13. Commerce and Industry | Ex. 20. Broadcast Programme | REVISION EXERCISES ON TENSE AND VOICE | THE SUBJUNCTIVE MOOD AND THE CONDITIONAL MOOD | Complete the following sentences a) using the Conditional Mood; | Translate Into English, using; the verb can; | Shall, will | REVISION EXERCISES ON MOOD AND MODAL VERBS |

© 2016-2022  um.co.ua - учбові матеріали та реферати