THE HOMECITY OF MESM 
Task 1. Read and translate the text:
Завдання 1. Прочитайте і перекладіть текст:
At first it was a model of a Big Electronic Computing Machine (BECM). Later there appeared the evident expediency of transforming BESM in a small computer. In the process of a creation it was a Model of a Small Big Electronic Computing Machine (MECM). For that reason there were added: input-output devices, magnetic drum storage, register capacity. The author of a creation was S.A. Lebedev, who was proposed to head the Institute of Energetics in Kiev. Later the Institute wild divided into two departments: the electronical one and the department of heat-and-power engineering. Lebedev became the director of the first one. He also added his laboratory of analogue computerization to the already existing ones of the electronical type. At once he began to work on computer science instead of the usual, routine researches in the field of engineering means of stabilization and structures of automated devices. Since autumn 1948 he had been directing his laboratory towards creating MESM. The most difficult part of the work was the practical creation of MESM. It might be a lot of experiences of the researches that allowed the scientist to fulfill the task perfectly. In autumn 1951 the machine executed a complex program rather stabile. S.A. Lebedev was awarded the State Prize of the USSR.
Task 2. Answer the following questions:
Завдання 2. Дайте відповідь на наступні питання:
1. Who was proposed to head the Institute of Energetics in Kiev?
2. When did Lebedev direct his laboratory towards creating of MESM?
3. Was MESM created by S.A. Lebedev?
4. What machine did in autumn 1951 execute?
5. What is BESM?
6. When did Lebedev become the director of one of the departments?
7. What prize was Lebedev awarded?
8. What is the most difficult part of the work?
9. How many departments was the Institute of Energetics divided?
Task 3. Find the sentences with the words and word - combinations given below in the text:
Завдання 3. Знайдіть в тексті пропозиції, що містять нижченаведені слова і вирази:
- A model
- A Big Electronic Computing Machine
- A small computer
- Input-output devices
- An electronic type
- A computer science
- A practical creation
Task 5. Complete the following sentences corresponding to the contents of the text:
Завдання 6. Завершіть пропозиції:
1. ... in the process of a creation ....
2. He also added his ... to the already existing ones of the electronical type.
3. Since autumn 1948 Lebedev ....
4. ... of the work was the practical creation of MESM.
5.... The machine executed a complex program rather stabile.
Task 6. Say whether the statements given below are true or false:
Завдання 6. Визначте істинність або хибність наступних пропозицій:
1. S.A. Lebedev was proposed to head the Institute of Energetics in Novgorod.
2. At first it was call the Model of the BECM, but, later in the process of its creation there appeared the evident expediency of transforming it in a big computer.
3. Since autumn 1948 Lebedev had been directing his laboratory towards creation of MESM.
4. In autumn 1951 the machine executed a complex program rather stabile.
5. For that reason there were added: the imput - output devices, magnetic register storage, and the drum capacity.
Task 7.Translate from Russian into English:
Завдання 7. Переведіть з російської мови на англійську:
1. МЕВМ була задумана С. А. Лебедєвим і була моделлю Великий Електронної обчислювальної Машини.
2. У процесі її створення була проявлена ??очевидна доцільність перетворення її в маленький комп'ютер.
3. С. А. Лебедєву було запропоновано стати директором Інституту Енергетики в Києві.
4. З осені 1948 Лебедєв керував своєю лабораторією у напрямку створення МЕВМ.
5. З осені тисячі дев'ятсот п'ятьдесят один машина виконувала комплекс програм.
Task 8. Make up your own sentences:
Завдання 8. Складіть свої пропозиції з наступними словосполученнями:
- A small computer
- A model of a Big Electronic Computing Machine
- A department of heat-and-power engineering
- A computer science.
- Automated devices
- A practical creation
- A complex program