1. Шум у сусідній кімнаті заважав мені думати. 2. Я думаю про те, щоб поїхати на південь влітку. 3 Хлопчик скаржився, що його постійно лають і карають. 4. Я наполягаю на тому, щоб поговорити з ним. 5. Я з нетерпінням чекав зустрічі з братом. 6. Мені щось не хочеться сьогодні грати в лото. 7. Їй вдалося зробити дуже хороший переклад цього важкого тексту. 8. Дякую вам, що ви прислали мені такі красиві квіти. 9. Його звинуватили в тому, що він продав важливі державні секрети. 10. Він заперечував, що продав їх. 11. Він наполягав на тому, що не винен. 12. Він боявся, що його посадять у в'язницю.
Упр. 381. Розкрийте дужки, вживаючи герундій в активній або пасивній формі.
1. Why do you avoid (to speak) to me? 2. She tried to avoid (to speak) to. 3. The doctor insisted on (to send) the sick man to hospital. 4. The child insisted on (to send) home at once. 5. Do you mind; him (to examine) by a heart specialist? 6. He showed - no sign of (to recognize) me. 7. She showed no sign of (to surprise). 8. He had a strange habit of (to interfere) in other people's business. 9. I was angry at (to interrupt) every other moment. 10. He was always ready for (to help) people. 11. He was very glad of (to help) in his difficulty. 12. On (to allow) to leave the room the children immediately ran out into the yard and began (to play). 13. In (to make) this experiment they came across some very interesting phenomena. 14. The results of the experiment must be checked and re-checked before (to publish). 15. David was tired of (to scold) all the time. 16. The watch requires (to repair).1 17. The problem is not worth (to discuss).118. Jane Eyre remembered (to lock) up in the red room for (to contradict) Mrs. Reed.
Упр. 382. Розкрийте дужки, вживаючи потрібну форму герундія.
1. Excuse me for (to break) your beautiful vase. 2. You never mentioned (to be) to Greece. 3. She was proud of (to award) the cup of a champion. 4. I do not remember ever (to meet) your sister. 5. I do not remember (to ask) this question by anybody. 6. The cat was punished for (to break) the cup. 7. The cat was afraid of (to punish) and hid itself under the sofa. 8. The machine needs (to clean).1 9. I am quite serious in (to say) that I do not want to go abroad. 10. He seemed sorry for (to be) inattentive to his child. 11. She confessed to (to forget) to send the letter. 12. The old man could not stand (to tell) what he should do. 13. Going to the party was no use: he had no talent for (to dance).
14. The Bronze Horseman is worth (to see) .15. After thoroughly (to examine) the student, the professor gave him a satisfactory mark. 16. After thoroughly (to examine) by the examination commission, the student was given a satisfactory mark. 17. She accused him of (to steal) her purse. 18. She reproached me for (not to write) to her.
19. This job is not worth (to take).1 20. After (to look) through and (to mark) the students 'papers, the teacher handed them back. 21. After (to look) through and (to mark), the papers were handed back to the students. 22. These clothes want (to wash)1. 23. David was very glad of (to find) his aunt.
Упр. 383. Розкрийте дужки, вживаючи потрібну форму герундія.
1. Little David could not bear (to recite) his lessons in the presence of his stepfather and Miss Murdstone. They frightened him so that he could not help (to make) mistakes though he tried hard to avoid (to displease) them and (to scold). 2. The girls were busy (to pack) when one of them suddenly remembered (to leave) the milk on the stove which was probably boiling over. 3. The girl was proud of (to choose) to represent the sportsmen of the school at the coming competition. She thanked her classmates for (to choose) her and promised to do her best to win. 4. I landed in London on an autumn evening. My friends expected me home for the holidays, but had no idea of ??my (to return) so soon. I had purposely not informed them of my (to come), that I might have the pleasure of (to take) them by surprise. And yet I had a feeling of disappointment in (to receive) no welcome. I even felt like (to cry).
I do not mind opening the window. I do not mind his opening the window.
She did not object to doing the room. She did not object to my doing the room.
She insisted on being allowed to go home. She insisted on her son being allowed to go home.
Упр. 384. Переведіть на російську мову, звертаючи увагу на іменники і местоіме-ня перед герундием.
1 I had no idea of ??his leaving St. Petersburg so soon. 2. Aunt's coming here gives me much pleasure. 3. The librarian did not object to the reader keeping the book one day longer. 4. She said that she knew nothing about the door having been left open. 5. The mother was surprised at her daughter having tidied up the room so quickly. 6. My trying to convince him is of no use. 7. When asked why she had missed the train, she said something about her watch being slow. 8. She approached without my seeing her. 9. She stayed in town the whole summer because of her daughter being ill.
Упр. 385. Замініть підрядні речення герундіальнимі оборотами, вводячи їх, де необхідно, приводами, даними в дужках після пропозиції.
1. The pleasant-faced middle-aged woman insisted that Olga should come to her town to teach, (on)
2. Helen suggested that they should go on a trip. 3. There is a possibility that my father will join us for the trip, (of) 4. The girls knew that the sportsman had been awarded a prize, (of) 5. I do not mind if you walk to the underground station with me. 6. When they entered the house, they heard the last bell ringing, (on) 7. Thank you that you invited me to the theatre, (for) 8. The woman insisted that her husband should consult the doctor at once, (on ) 9. She could not even think that the operation might be postponed, (of) 10. There was little hope that James would return on the same day. (Of) 11. The thought that he had been turned away by the doorkeeper made him feel miserable, (of)
Упр. 386. Замініть виділені частини пропозицій герундіальнимі оборотами. Змінюйте конструкцію пропозиції, де необхідно.
1. When the boy entered the room, he glanced curiously around, (on) 2. The patient felt much better after he had been given proper treatment. 3. Just before I left the classroom, I was approached by a fellow-student who asked me to help him. 4. Looking at the man attentively, she remembered that she had seen him and spoken to him on several occasions. 5. That nobody saw them was a mere chance. 6. The mother insisted that her son should enter the university, (on) 7. The place looked so picturesque and cheerful that he rejoiced at the thought that he would come to live there, (of) 8. When he entered, she stood up and left the room, and even did not look at him. (Without) 9. When Robert came home from the college, after he had passed his examinations, he felt very happy, (on) 10. In the darkness they were afraid that they might lose their way. (Of) 11. When he reached his destination, he sent a telegram home to say that he had arrived safely, (on) 12. Thank you that you helped me. (For) 13. The new medicine may be recommended only after it is approved by the Scientific Board. 14. You will never learn your mistakes if you do not write them out. (Without)
Упр. 387. Замініть виділені частини пропозицій герундіальнимі оборотами, вживаючи, де необхідно, відповідні приводи.
1. I am told that you are very busy. 2. Do you mind if I smoke here? 3. Will you object if I close the door? 4. Thank you that you did it. 5. My teacher insists that I should read aloud every day. 6. Will Mary have anything against it if I take her umbrella for some time? 7.1 remember that I have seen this picture somewhere. 8. That you are against John's proposal does not mean that I must decline it. 9. The fact that you took English lessons some years ago helps you in your studies now.
Упр. 388. Замініть частини пропозицій герундіальнимі оборотами, вживаючи, де необхідно, відповідні приводи.
1. When the young man graduated from Harvard, he returned to Russia. 2. They gave up the idea that they would find work. 3. The girls were afraid that they might miss the train. 4. Mary asked John to forgive her that she had not answered his letter sooner. 5. After we had passed our examinations, we had a very entertaining evening. 6. Michael remembered that he had enjoyed the trip to the Bahamas. 7. I am thankful that Т have been given a chance to hear this outstanding singer. 8. Helen insisted that she should be given that job. 9. I do not remember that I have ever seen anyone dance like Plisetskaya. 10. Tom was afraid that he might be late. 11. Bill remembered that he had walked about the factory gate for months.
Упр. 332. Передайте наступні пропозиції в непрямій мові. | Упр. 334. Передайте наступний діалог в непрямій мові. | Інфініті | Упр. 357. Виберіть з дужок потрібну форму причастя. | Упр. 362. Розкрийте дужки, вживаючи потрібну форму причастя. | Упр. 365. Переведіть на англійську мову, вживаючи потрібну форму причастя. | Упр. 367. Переведіть на російську мову, звертаючи увагу на незалежний причетний оборот. | Упр. 369. Переведіть на російську мову, про. ращая увагу на незалежний причетний оборот. | герундій | Существетельное |