Запам'ятайте випадки, в яких інфінітив вживається без частки "to":
після модальних дієслів;
після дієслів to let і to make;
в складному додатку після дієслів
(To see, to hear, to feel, etc.); після виразів: I would rather ....
You had better ...
Упр. 339. Вставте частку "to" перед інфінітивом, де необхідно.
1. I like ... play the guitar. 2. My brother can ... speak French. 3. We had ... put on our overcoats because it was cold. 4. They wanted ... cross the river. 5. It is high time for you ... go to bed. 6. May I ... use your telephone? 7. They heard the girl ... cry out with joy. 8. I would rather ... stay at home today. 9. He did not want ... play in the yard any more. 10. Would you like ... go to England? 11. You look tired. You had better ... go home.
12. I wanted ... speak to Nick, but could not ... find his telephone number. 13. It is time ... get up. 14. Let me ... help you with your homework. 15. I was planning ... do a lot of things yesterday. 16. I'd like ... speak to you. 17. I think I shall be able ... solve this problem. 18. What makes you ... think you are right? 19. I shall do all I can ... help you. 20. I like ... dance. 21. I'd like ... dance. 22. She made me ... repeat my words several times. 23. I saw him ... enter the room. 24. She did not let her mother ... go away. 25. Do you like ... listen to good music? 26. Would you like ... listen to good music? 27. That funny scene made me ... laugh.
Упр. 340. Замініть частини пропозицій інфінітівнимі оборотами.
E.g. The boy had many toys which he could play with. The boy had many toys to play with.
1. I have no books which I can read. 2. Is there anybody who will help you with your spelling? 3. Do not forget that she has a baby which she must take care of. 4. Have you got nothing that you want to say on this subject? 5. There was nothing that he could do except go home. 6. I have only a few minutes in which I can explain these words to you. 7. I have an examination which I must take soon, so I can not go to the theatre with you. 8. King Lear decided to have a hundred knights who would serve him after he had divided up his kingdom. 9. Here is something which will warm you up. 10. Here is a new brush which you will clean your teeth with. 11. Here are some more facts which will prove that your theory is correct. 12. Here is something which you can rub on your hands. It will soften them. 13. Here are some screws with which you can fasten the shelves to the wall. 14. Here are some tablets which will relieve your headache. 15. Here are some articles which must be translated for tomorrow. 16. Who has a pen or a pencil to spare? I need something I could write with. 17.1 have brought you a book which you can read now, but be sure and return it by Saturday. 18. Soon we found that there was another complicated problem that we were to consider. 19. The girl was quite young when both her parents died and she remained alone with two younger brothers whom she had to take care of.
Упр. 341. Замініть підрядні речення інфінітівнимі оборотами.
E.g.He is so old that he can not skate.He is too old to skate.
1. The problem is so difficult that it is impossible to solve it. 2. Thebox is so heavy that nobody can carry it. 3.The baby is so little that it can not walk. 4. Heis so weak that he can not lift this weight. 5. Sheis so busy that she can not talk with you. 6. Shewas so inattentive that she did not notice the mistake.7. The rule was so difficult that they did not understand it. 8. Hewas so stupid that he did not see the joke. 9. Shehas got so fat that she can not wear this dress now.10. The accident was so terrible that I do not want to talk about it.11. They were so empty-headed that they could not learn a single thing.12. The window was so dirty that they could not see through it. 13.She was so foolish that she could not understand my explanation.14. I have very little wool: it will not make a sweater.
Запам'ятайте такі застиглі словосполучення з інфінітивом:
to cut a long story short - коротше кажучи to tell (you) the truth - сказати (вам) по
to say nothing of - не кажучи вже про to put it mildly - м'яко висловлюючись to say the least of it - щонайменше to begin with - почнемо з того що
Запам'ятайте такі пропозиції:
The book leaves much to be desired. - Книга залишає бажати кращого.
Чи не is difficult to deal with. - З ним важко мати справу.
Чи не is hard to please. - Йому важко догодити.
She is pleasant to look at. - На неї приємно дивитися.
Упр.342. Переведіть на англійську мову, вживаючи застиглі словосполучення з інфінітивом.
1. М'яко кажучи, вона була неввічливо. 2. Ваша робота залишає бажати кращого. 3. Сказати по правді, я не люблю бокс. 4. Вашої сестрі важко догодити. 5. Почнемо з того, що я зайнятий, б. На нього було приємно дивитися. 7. Коротше кажучи, він не здав іспит. 8. Ми всі були раді, не кажучи вже про маму: вона сказала, що це найщасливіший день у її житті. 9. Твоє твір залишає бажати кращого. 10. Це дуже дивно, щонайменше. 11. Для початку, вона відкрила всі вікна. 12. З моїм сусідом важко мати справу. 13. По правді кажучи, я дуже втомився. 14. Його поведінка залишає бажати кращого. 15. М'яко кажучи, ви мене здивували. 16. На цих дітей приємно подивитися. 17. Коротше кажучи, вони одружилися. 18. Найвідоміша книга Джерома - "Троє в човні, не рахуючи собаки." 19. Вам важко догодити. 20. Щонайменше, ми були удівлели.
Зверніть увагу на відсутність союзу «щоб» перед інфінітивом в ролі обставини мети:
Те get this book, you must go the library.
Щоб отримати цю
книгу, ви повинні to піти в бібліотеку.
Упр. 343. Переведіть на англійську мову, вживаючи застиглі словосполучення з інфінітивом.
1. Щоб отримати хорошу оцінку, ви повинні наполегливо попрацювати. 2. З нею важко мати справу. 3. Що робити? 4. Почнемо з того, що він хворий. 5. Щоб читати Діккенса в оригіналі, ви повинні добре знати мову. 6. М'яко кажучи, він не правий. 7. Вона була не винна. 8. Дитині не з ким грати. 9. Бачити значить вірити. 10. Щоб встигнути на цей поїзд, ви повинні поквапитися. 11. Не може бути й мови про покупку машини в цьому році. 12. Книга залишає бажати кращого. 13. Сказати по правді, мені це не подобається. 14. Їм було нічого їсти. 15. Хто винен? 16. Коротше кажучи, він не зробив урок. 17. У нашій родині мама завжди встає перша. 18. На неї приємно дивитися. 19. Щоб перевести цю статтю, ви повинні користуватися словником. 20. Мені нікуди їхати влітку. 21.0 те, щоб купатися в цій річці, не могло бути й мови.
22. Йому було ні з ким обговорити цю проблему. 23. Вчора Катя прийшла в школу останньої.
Active Infinitive і Passive Infinitive
to write - to be written
I am glad to help you -
радий допомогти (радий, що я допомагаю) I am glad to be helped -
радий, що мені допомагають
Упр. 344. Переведіть на російську мову, звертаючи увагу на Active Infinitive и Passive Infinitive.
1. Nature has many secrets to be discovered yet. 2. To improve your phonetics you should record yourself and analyse your speech. 3. This is the book to be read during the summer holidays. 4. To be instructed by such a good specialist was a great advantage. 5. To play chess was his greatest pleasure. 6. The child did not like to be washed. 7. Is not it natural that we like to be praised and do not like to be scolded? 8. Which is more pleasant: to give or to be given presents? He is very forgetful, but he does not like to be reminded of his duties.
Indefinite Infinitive і Perfect Infinitive
to write - to have written
I am glad to see you -
радий бачити вас (раду що бачу) I am glad to have seen you -
радий, що побачив
Упр. 345. Переведіть на російську мову, звертаючи увагу на Perfect Infinitive.
1. I am awfully glad to have met you. 2. Sorry to have placed you in this disagreeable situation. 3. I am very happy to have had the pleasure of making your acquaintance. 4. I am sorry to have kept you waiting. 5. Clyde was awfully glad to have renewed his acquaintance with Sondra, 6. Sorry not to have noticed you. 7.1 am sorry to have added some more trouble by what I have told you. 8. When Clyde looked at the girl closely, he remembered to have seen her in Sondra's company. 9. I remembered to have been moved1 by the scene I witnessed. 10. The child was happy to have been brought home. 11. Jane remembered to have been told a lot about Mr. Rochester. 12. The children were delighted to have been brought to the circus. 13. I am sorry to have spoilt your mood. 14. Maggie was very sorry to have forgotten to feed the rabbits.
1 moved- зд. зворушений
Упр. 346. Замініть виділені частини пропозицій інфінітівнимі оборотами.
E.g. He is sorry that he has said it.He is sorry to have said it.
1. She was sorry that she had missed thebeginning of the concert.2. I am glad that I see all myfriends here. 3. I was afraid of going past thatplace alone. 4. My sister will be thrilled when sheis wearing a dress as lovely as that.5. We must wait till we hear the examination results. 6.She is happy that she has foundsuch a nice place to live in. 7. I should be delighted if I could join you.8. He hopes that he will know everythingby tomorrow. 9. It is certain that it will rainif you do not take your umbrella. 10. Do not promise thatyou will do it,if you are not sure that you can.
11. He was happy that he was praisedby everybody. 12. He was very proud that he had helpedhis elder brother.
Упр. 347. Розкрийте дужки, вживаючи потрібну форму інфінітива.
1. Не seems (to read) a lot. 2. Не seems (to read) now. 3. He seems (to read) since morning. 4. He seems (to read) all the books in the library. 5. I want (to take) you to the concert. 6.1 want (to take) to the concert by my father. 7. She hoped (to help) her Mends. 6. She hoped (to help) by her friends. 9. I hope (to see) you soon. 10. We expect (to be) back in two days. 11. He expected (to help) by the teacher. 12. The children seem (to play) since morning. 13. I am glad (to do) all the homework yesterday. 14. She seems (to work) at this problem ever since she came here. 15 I am sorry (to break) your pen.
Упр. 348. Розкрийте дужки, вживаючи потрібну форму інфінітива.
1. I hate (to bother) you, but the students are still waiting (to give) books for their work. 2. He seized every opportunity (to appear) in public: he was so anxious (to talk) about. 3. Is there anything else (to tell) her? I believe she deserves (to know) the state of her sick brother. 4. He began writing books not because he wanted (to earn) a living. He wanted (to read) and not (to forget). 5. I consider myself lucky (to be) to that famous exhibition and (to see) so many wonderful paintings. 6. He seems (to know) French very well: he is said (to spend) his youth in Paris. 7. The enemy army was reported (to overthrow) the defence lines and (to advance) towards the suburbs of the city. 8. The woman pretended (to read) and (not to hear) the bell. 9. You seem (to look) for trouble. 10. It seemed (to snow) heavily since early morning: the ground was covered with a deep layer of snow. 11. They seemed (to quarrel): I could hear angry voices from behind the door. 12. Perhaps it would upset her (to tell) the truth of the matter. 13. They are supposed (to work) at the problem for the last two months. 14. The only sound (to hear) was the snoring of grandfather in the bedroom. 15. Her ring was believed (to lose) until she happened (to find) it during the general cleaning. It turned out (to drop) between the sofa and the wall. 16. They seemed (to wait) for ages.
Введіть будь-які відповідні підлягають. | Упр. 279. Переведіть на англійську мову, вживаючи дієслова в Passive Voice. | ПОГОДЖЕННЯ ЧАСІВ непряму мову | Упр. 300. Відновіть пряму мову в наступних пропозиціях. | Упр. 317. Передайте наступні пропозиції в непрямій мові. | Упр. 322. Відновіть пряму мову в сліду чих пропозиціях. | Упр. 326. Передайте наступні пропозиції непрямої мови. | Упр. 328. Передайте наступні пропозиції в непрямій мові. | Упр. 329. Передайте наступні пропозиції в непрямій мові. | Упр. 332. Передайте наступні пропозиції в непрямій мові. |