1. Canada is a federation of ten provinces and three territories. Under the Canadian constitution, provincial governments have exclusive responsibility of all levels of education. There is no ministry or department of education at the federal level.
2. The school system is divided into three phases. Elementary begins at grade 1 until 5 (or pupils who are 6 until they reach 10 years old). Some elementary schools also include a middle school or junior school for grades 6-8 (ages 11-13). Pupils then join the secondary school (sometimes called high school) for grades 9 to 12 (ages 14-18), though in Quebec it is only until grade 11. The curriculum involves both academic and vocational subjects, which gives the pupils credits to enable them to enter universities or colleges once they graduate from high school.
3. Postsecondary education is very popular in Canada as it has the highest postsecondary education participation rate in the world, with over 2.5 million Canadians enrolled in full-time or part-time postsecondary education. Canadian students pay tuition fees to attend colleges and universities. Colleges mainly offer vocational programs leading to certificates and diplomas whereas universities offer academic subjects leading to degrees. At the post-secondary level, Canada offers a range of education institutions: University, University Colleges, Community Colleges, Career Colleges or Technical Institutes.
4. Canada has a large selection of universities located in both urban and rural settings in every region of the country. Canadian universities are largely publicly funded; as a result they are of a consistently high quality, regardless of location or area of study. Universities offer a broad range of courses and a full range of degrees from undergraduate to doctorates, and can also offer certificates and professional degrees. The universities are internationally known for the quality of teaching and research.
5. University colleges combine Canadian university and college traditions, with a strong base of applied and academic programs offered in campus environments. University colleges offer students a wide range of program choices of either academically-oriented university degree programs or the more practically-oriented college diplomas and certificates. They also may offer combined degree/diploma programs and university transfer programs.
Community colleges have the primary function of responding to the training needs of business, industry and the public service sectors. They offer professional programs of 1 to 3 years (often including a work term) that are highly applicable in the job market.
6. Career Colleges and Technical Institutes are privately owned institutions that offer training programs that provide students with practical skills for the job market after a short period of instruction. Students seeking short-term training programs in multimedia, film studies, computer/internet studies, graphic design and hospitality and the like apply to career colleges. The emphasis at these institutions is on practical skills and some may specialize in specific areas such as business, computers and secretarial skills.
XІV. Виберіть правильний варіант відповіді на запитання.
What is the school system divided into?
1. The school system is divided into three phases.
2. The school system is divided into University, University Colleges, Community Colleges, Career Colleges or Technical Institutes.
3. The school system is divided into two parts.
XV. Напишіть друге речення використовуючи інформацію з першого речення.
Приклад: It isn't a good idea to go out - it's too cold.
You shouldn't go out - it's too cold.
1. My husband works late every night.
Last night .
2. He never goes to bed early.
He always .
3. I'd like to buy a new car. I'm not sure.
I might .
4. He doesn't have to leave now.
5. We haven't got any cheese.
I. Перепишіть речення. Згідно з граматичними ознаками, визначте, якою частиною мови є слова з закінченням 's', та яку функцію це закінчення виконує, тобто, чи є воно:
а) показником 3-ї особи однини дієслова в Present Simple;
б) ознакою іменника у множині;
в) показником присвійного відмінку іменника.
Перекладіть речення українською мовою.
1. Faraday (Фарадей) made two thousand different experiments.
2. Does mankind's progress depend upon electricity?
3. Air normally contains only gases.
4. The young men put their hands in their pockets.
5. She opened the window and heard the children's laughter and tries.
II. Перепишіть речення та перекладіть їх українською мовою. Зверніть увагу на особливості перекладу іменників у функції означення.
1. The hydrogen molecule diameter is the smallest.
2. The speed of electron motion depends upon different conditions.
3. Radio devices are used for various purposes.
4. In gases molecules are moving with high speed in all directions.
5. Radio signal is transmitted by means of radio waves.
III. Перепишіть речення. Зверніть увагу на ступені порівняння прикметників. Перекладіть речення українською мовою.
1. The more you have, the more you want.
2. Yesterday it was the hottest day of the year.
3. The examination was easier than we expected.
4. Silver is not as heavy as gold.
5. The tomato soup was as delicious as the mushroom soup.
IV. Перепишіть речення. Зверніть увагу на переклад неозначених та заперечних займенників. Перекладіть речення українською мовою.
1. Nobody knows when they will arrive.
2. Why didn't anybody come to the office on Saturday?
3. Somebody has already told that story.
4. Don't worry. Anyone can tell you where the post-office in this town is.
5. We haven't got any oranges at the moment.
V. Перепишіть речення. Підкресліть дієслова та визначте, якого вони часу, виду та стану. Перекладіть речення українською мовою.
1. She has already translated this article since 5 o'clock.
2. He studies the motion of electrons.
3. They noticed the effect of attraction.
4. While the students were writing the test, the dean opened the door.
5. If the weather is fine, we shall play football.
6. We are going to visit this place.
7. This contract is being read now.
8. Chemical methods of purifying water are given much attention to at present.
9. The forum was devoted to the problems of higher education.
10. This parcel has been brought by the courier.
VI. Перепишіть речення, підкресліть Participle I та Participle II; визначте, які з них ужиті в функції означення, обставини чи частини присудка. Перекладіть речення українською мовою.
1. The work performed by this young scientist showed good results.
2. While burning different substances combine with oxygen.
3. A mercurial barometer was invented by E. Torricelli (Торрічеллі).
4. The plants producing textile machinery export great quantities of machinery abroad.
VII. Перепишіть речення, підкресліть модальні дієслова або їх еквіваленти. Перекладіть речення українською мовою.
1. Drivers must stop when the traffic lights are red.
2. The students will be able to do this laboratory test next week.
3. He couldn't complete his research in time.
4. As the student was late he was not allowed to enter the classroom.
5. May I borrow your CD player? - Sorry, I need it today
VIII. Прочитайте та письмово надайте відповіді на питання англійською мовою.
ВИКОНАННЯ | КОНТРОЛЬНИХ ЗАВДАНЬ | ВИПРАВЛЕННЯ | ЗРАЗОК ВИКОНАННЯ ЗАВДАННЯ VII. | Hour Teaching | Learn by Listening | London residents are one of the beautiful places for visiting. | Education in Australia |