Головна

Gordon Martin on TV

As a critic I try to watch all kinds of programmes but naturally I have my preferences and my prejudices.

Let me start with my dislikes. First, soap operas. I simply cannot understand why a story like "Dallas" or "Dynasty", in which every episode is more boring and incredible than last, can interest people for more than a month or two. But these programmes have been running for years in this country. For similar reasons I dislike many of the American detective series. Sometimes they are quite entertaining and a few have quite good scripts but on the whole they are rather repetitive. You can always tell when the series writers are running rather short of ideals because the final episodes in these series tend to be the noisiest and the most violent.

I cannot stand quiz shows or panel games or chat shows, either. The quiz show, in particular, annoys me. The prizes are not really as good as they seem - they used to be more valuable - and one or two of the hosts and hostesses are quite friendly. But most of them make the participants more nervous than they would normally be.

What do I like then? When I was younger I liked athletic programmes but now I'm getting rather old for that sort of thing so I would rather watch something more restful. Some of the plays on TV are quite good and I also like the films, even though a lot of them are rather old. At least good plays and good films give people a deeper understanding of life. I like documentaries and current affairs programmes, though some of them require rather more background knowledge than I have to enjoy them completely. These are often better than the news because in detailed interviews and debates you are more likely to hear something like the truth than in short news bulletin.

Well, these are my preferences and prejudices. Why not write and tell me yours?

Exercise 6. You are watching TV with a friend. What could you say in each of the situations below? | Writing task: Answer the following questions about yourself. Use them to discuss the topic "Television in my life".

Television in Modern Life | Exercise 5. Read the information below and learn the essential vocabulary by heart. | A) cigarettes b) cars c) chocolates d) washing powder e) ice-cream f) coffee | Exercise 15. Designing a television commercial. |

© 2016-2022  um.co.ua - учбові матеріали та реферати