Головна

THE FORMS OF THE INFINITIVE

1. Ex. 15. Replace the infinitives in brackets by the Future Indefinite or the Present Indefinite.
  2. Exercise 17 Put the verbs in brackets into the correct tense forms.
  3. Exercise 24 Read the text and write out all participles. Define the forms of them.
  4. Exercise 63. Complete the sentences. Use two objects, one of them being expressed by a conjunctive Infinitive with who, what, which, where, how, when.
  5. Forms of business
  6. III. THE INFINITIVE

Unit 1

Exercise 1. Comment on the forms of the Infinitives.

1. When I go on holiday, I ask Mum to look after my houseplants. 2. In the morning Mr. Dalton was nowhere to be seen. 3. He seemed to be reading my mind. 4. You have your own life to consider. 5. The agent must have misunderstood the chief. 6. He was witty and clever and he made me laugh. 7. But what kind of rules might be required? 8. They seem to have been fighting all their lives. 9. The manuscript appears to have been written in Greek. 10. This is a date still to be agreed. 11. Brian can still be watching the western. 12. They believed the soldier to have taken unofficial leave. 13. Don't you understand that all the personal sentiments ought to have been put aside? 14. At times, lightning decisions had to be made. 15. It was vital for her presence to be felt in New York from time to time.

Exercise 2. Give all the possible forms of the following Infinitives.

To do, to study, to live, to sit, to lie, to raise, to set, to sell, to leave, to go, to inform, to like, to write, to run, to make.

Exercise 3. Choose the sentences where the forms of the Infinitive denote:

1) an action simultaneous with or posterior to the action expressed by the finite verb,

2) an action prior to the action expressed by the finite verb,

3) an action that lasted a certain time before the action expressed by the finite verb.

1. It is very kind of you to have done it for us. 2. I asked Jane to cut sandwiches for all of us. 3. Here's the saucepan to boil water in. 4. I've got a list of foodstuffs to be bought before Charles comes. 5. Granny seems to have been cooking since Father left. 6. She is said to have been taken to hospital. 7. He was told to help his younger sister and unbutton her coat. 8. He smokes a lot and is sure to be ruining his health. 9. She wants to take an English course. 10. I know him to have been an outstanding politician. 11. We believe our manager to be having a talk with our English partners. 12. Your proposal is certain to be accepted. 13. The green blouse doesn't seem to fit you. 14. The group is known to be arriving tomorrow. 15. They seem to have been chatting all day long. 16. She happened to be passing by the chemist's when she saw her husband. 17. We know Ed to have been saving money since last year to buy a new car.

Exercise4. A. Use the Infinitive in different forms in the active voice.

1. There is no necessity (to pick up) the papers, I'll bring them. 2. He is said (to travel) for a month and he hasn't come back yet. 3. What they want is (to have) English twice a week. 4. They are reported (to discuss) it during the conference. 5. He is in the garage and must (to repair) his car. 6. We expect him (to arrive) in a day or two. 7. She must be lucky (to meet) such a wonderful man and (to marry) him. 8. The boys seem (to play) football since morning. 9. I don't know what she is doing. She may (to sleep) now. 10. He seemed (to watch) her as he hoped (to attract) her attention at some moment. 11. All I want is (to find) the right diet (to slim down). 12. They seem (to watch) TV for five hours!

B. Use the Infinitive in the active or passive voice. Translate into Russian.

1. My younger brother hates (to read) but he likes (to read to). 2. I've got something (to tell) him and he has the right (to tell) what happened to his son. 3. People usually prefer (to treat) but Mother likes (to treat) anybody who comes to see us to something delicious. 4. I won't have (to spend) the money he gave me though money is supposed (to spend). 5. Teachers like (to ask) students and students hate (to ask). 6. I prefer (to choose) and not (to choose). 7. There are so many trifles (to forget) but (to forget) everything is impossible. 8. I don't want (to sell) my fur-coat but I've got lots of things (to sell) as I don't need them. 9. He thinks that (to attack) your enemy is better than (to attack). 10. Doctor Barbara Shallow is going (to operate) on him and he wants (to operate) on by her. 11. The project is (to improve) but there's nobody (to improve) it.

C. Paraphrase according to the model.

| Model: He is sorry that he has said it.He is sorry to have said it.

Would rather ('d rather) nothing but | THE INFINITIVE AS THE SUBJECT | THE INFINITIVE AS PREDICATIVE | THE INFINITIVE AS PART OF A PREDICATIVE | THE INFINITIVE AS PART OF A COMPOUND VERBAL PREDICATE | Seem, appear (казаться) prove, turn out (оказаться) happen, chance (случиться) | THE INFINITIVE AS OBJECT | Exercise 63. Complete the sentences. Use two objects, one of them being expressed by a conjunctive Infinitive with who, what, which, where, how, when. | THE INFINITIVE AS ATTRIBUTE | THE INFINITIVE AS ADVERBIAL MODIFIER OF PURPOSE |

© 2016-2022  um.co.ua - учбові матеріали та реферати