Головна

GRAMMAR

1. Ex. 2. Fill in the blanks with one of the following words. Mind your grammar.
  2. Ex. 2. Fill in the blanks with one of the following words. Mind your grammar.
  3. Ex.2. Fill in the blanks with one of the following words. Mind your grammar.
  4. Ex.2. Fill in the blanks with one of the following words. Mind your grammar.
  5. Ex.2. Fill in the blanks with one of the following words. Mind your grammar.
  6. Ex.2. Fill in the blanks with one of the following words. Mind your grammar.
  7. Ex.2. Fill in the blanks with one of the following words. Mind your grammar.

1.Study the following rules.

Infinitive

Tenses of the Infinitive
  Active Voice Passive Voice
Present to offer to be offered
Present Continuous to be offering ---
Perfect to have offered to have been offered
Perfect Continuous to have been offering ---

The Present Infinitive refers to the present or future. I'd like to go for a walk.

The Present Continuous Infinitive expresses an action in its progress simultaneous with that of the finite verb. He must be working in the garden now.

The Perfect Infinitive shows that the action of the infinitive happened before the action of the verb. He claims to have met the Queen. (First he met the Queen, then he claimed he had met her.)

The Perfect Continuous Infinitive expresses an action which lasted during a certain period of time before the action denoted by the verb. She seems to have been working all morning.

The to - infinitive is used:

1.to express purpose

She went out to buy some milk.

2.after certain verbs (advise, agree, appear, decide, expect, hope, promise, refuse etc)

He promised to be back at 10 0'clock.

3.after certain adjectives (angry, happy, glad, etc)

She was glad to see him.

4.after question words (where, how, what, who, which, but not after "why")

Has she told you where to meet them?

5.after would like/would love/would prefer (to express specific preference)

I'd love to go for a walk.

6.after nouns

It's a pleasure to work with you.

7.after too/enough constructions

He's too short to reach the top shelf.

He isn't tall enough to reach the top shelf.

8.with it+be+adjective (+of+object)

It was nice of him to remember my birthday.

9.with "only" to express unsatisfactory result

He called me only to say that he would be late.

The infinitive without to is used:

1.after modal verbs (must, can, should etc)

You must be back at 12 o'clock.

2.after had better/would rather

I'd rather have stayed in last night.

3.after make/let/see/hear/feel +object

Mum let me watch TV. I made him apologise.

But: in the passive form: be made/be heard/be seen + to -infinitive

He was made to apologise.

2.Find 5 infinitives in the sayings below and write them down.

1.It is easy to be wise after the event.

2.The business of life is to go forward .

3.Fortune is good to him who knows how to make good use of it.

4.Life is a stage, so learn to play your part.

5.A friend to all is a friend to none.

6.When guns speak it is too late to argue.

3.Define the form of the Infinitive.

1.I am glad to have given you a dictionary. 2.I am glad to have been given a dictionary. 3.We want to inform you about it. 4. We want to be informed about it. 5.Children like to be told tales. 6.You seem to have been sitting for a long time. 6.I can't hear a word, though he seems to be speaking. 7.One of the students was suddenly taken ill and had to be operated on immediately. 8.He was very sorry to have missed so many lessons just before the exam.

4.Open the brackets using the required form of the infinitive.

1.He seems (to read) a lot. 2.He seems (to read) now. 3.He seems (to read) since morning. 4.He seems (to read) all the books in the library. 5.I want (to take) you to the concert. 6.I want (to take) to the concert by my father. 7.She hoped (to help) her friends. 8.She hoped (to help) by her friends. 9.I hope (to see) you soon. 10.We expect (to be) back in two days. 11.He expected (to help) by the teacher. 12.The children seem (to play) since morning. 13.I am glad (to do) all the homework yesterday. 14.She seems (to work) at this problem ever since she came here.

5.Fill in the correct tense-form of the infinitive.

1.We'd better not bother her - she seems to be studying (study).

2.You should ___ (study) now instead of watching TV.

3.Paul pretended ___ (win) a lot of money but in fact he had won nothing at all.

4.She must ___ (work) outdoors when we rang. She didn't answer the phone.

5.Jane hoped ___ (give) the prize, but someone else won it.

6.He seemed ___ (swim). He was all wet.

7.I should ___ (give) him some money before we went out, but I forgot.

8.She says she would love ___ (come) to dinner with us tonight.

9.He must ___ (practise) that piece for hours - he plays it very well now.

10.The athlete seemed ___ (be) out of breath - he must ___ (run) for hours.

11.Peter claims ___ (choose) as the best-dressed man of the year.

12.They could ___ (prepare) a meal for us last night instead of making us go out to eat.

13.John must ___ (be) very busy these days - I never see him.

14.The house looks so clean now. She must ___ (clean) all day.

15.Jan should ___ (give) us her new address before she left.

16.The two men appeared ___ (try) to break into the building when the police arrived.

6.Replace the group of words in italics by an infinitive or infinitive construction.

M O D E L 1: The boy had many toys which he could play with.

The boy had many toys to play with.

1.I have no books which I can read. 2.Is there anybody who will help you with your spelling? 3.Don't forget that she has a baby which she must take care of. 4.Have you got nothing that you want to say on this subject? 5.There was nothing that he could do except go home. 6.I have only a few minutes in which I can explain these words to you. 7.I have an examination which I must take soon, so I can't go to the theatre with you. 8.Here is a new brush which you will clean your teeth with.

M O D E L 2: He is so old that he cannot skate.

He is too old to skate.

1.The problem is so difficult that it is impossible to solve it. 2.The box is so heavy that nobody can carry it. 3.The baby is so little that it cannot walk. 4.He is so weak that he cannot lift this weight. 5.She is so busy that she cannot talk with you. 6.She was so inattentive that she did not notice the mistake. 7.The rule was so difficult that they did not understand it. 8.The accident was so terrible that I don't want to talk about it.

7.Change the structure of the sentences using seem or seemed + infinitive.

M O D E L: You're getting better. - You seem to be getting better.

1.It's snowing in the mountains.

2.It was snowing when I was out.

3.We've run out of oil.

4.It's got a lot warmer.

5.You were feeling nervous.

6.The figures have been changed.

8.Change the structure of the sentences using the infinitive.

M O D E L: He is upset because he saw an accident. - He is upset to have seen an accident.

Tom is upset because he hasn't heard from Mary. - Tom is upset not to have heard from Mary.

1.He is glad because he met Mary.

2.He's late. He is sorry.

3.He was excited after he had found his watch.

4.They are in London again. They are pleased.

5.Mr.Brown was annoyed because he saw two boys in his front garden.

6.She forgot the date of your party. She is embarrassed.

7.She missed her train. She's angry.

8.I was glad when I didn't see him in the room.

9.I didn't arrive early. I'm sorry.

10.She doesn't see him here. She's surprised.

9.Rewrite sentences using to + Infinitive Passive.

1.I'm thrilled because I am invited to Mary's party.

2.Mary is disappointed because she wasn't included in the tennis team.

3.He is ashamed because he is seen in his old clothes.

4.Mary will be excited because she'll be asked to sing at the concert.

5.Tom is delighted because he was promoted at the office.

10.Insert to where necessary before the infinitives.

1.I like ... play the guitar. 2.My brother can ... speak French. 3.We had ... put on our overcoats because it was cold. 4.They wanted ... cross the river. 5.It's high time for you ... go to bed. 6.May I ... use your telephone? 7.They heard the girl ... cry out with joy. 8.I would rather ... stay at home today. 9.He did not want ... play in the yard any more. 10.Would you like ... go to England? 11.You look tired. You had better ... go home. 12.I wanted ... speak to Nick, but could not ... find his telephone number. 13.He made me ... do it all over again. 14.She can ... sing quite well. 15.He will be able ... swim very soon. 16.You ought .. go today. It may ... rain tomorrow.

11.Match column A with column B to join the part sentences below. One option in column B is extra.

A

1.Denis went to England ...

2.In Britain you are not allowed ...

3.Don't forget that the article must ...

4.This interpreter can ...

5.The teacher asked the students ...

6.I have no idea where ...

B

a. ... go jogging in the morning.

b. ... to listen to her attentively.

c. ... be written by Friday.

d. ... to leave school until you are 16.

e. ... speak three languages.

f. ... to improve his English.

g. ... to go for the weekend.

12.Choose the correct variant.

1. My friend Marion is coming from Chile. I am sorry not ... about it earlier.

a) to tell

b) to be told

c) to have been told

d) to have told

2. Tom had an accident because he had exceeded speed limit. He shouldn't ... so fast.

a) drive

b) be driving

c) have driven

d) have been driving

3. Diplomacy is ... and say the nastiest things in the nicest way.

a) to do

b) to be doing

c) to have been doing

d) to have done

4. Can anybody ... me how to use a computer?

a) show

b) be showing

c) have shown

d) be shown

5. It is difficult ... a friend who knows all about you and still likes you.

a) to find

b) to have found

c) to be finding

d) to have been finding

6. It is not enough to have a good mind; the main thing is ... it.

a) to be using

b) to use

c) to have used

d) to have been using

7. Joan likes taking care of sick animals. She is pleased ... this kind of work all the time.

a) to have been doing

b) to be doing

c) to have done

d) to do

8. It is not hard ... decisions when you know what your values are.

a) to be making

b) to have made

c) to make

d) to be made

9. I was very upset and I didn't know whom ... to for advice.

a) to turn

b) to be turning

c) to have turned

d) to have been turned

10. I hoped ... you by phone, but I couldn't. Why didn't you pick up the receiver?

a) to reach

b) to have reached

c) to be reaching

d) to have been reaching

Unit 7 EGGS Eggs as food Eggs characteristics Egg trivia GRAMMAR Infinitive constructions  

READING AND SPEAKING

1.Read and remember the following words and word combinations to the text "Eggs as food":

quail - перепел;

ostrich - страус;

savoury - гострий, пікантний;

to bind - зв'язувати;

white - білок;

to suspend - підвішувати;

discoloration - знебарвлення, зміна кольору;

to reduce - скорочувати;

to beat - збивати (яйця);

foam - піна;

sponge cake - бісквіт.

2. Remember the pronunciation of the following terms:

yolk [jəʊk] - жовток;

albumen ['ælbjʊmɪn] - білок, альбумін;

chalaza [kə'leızə] pl. chalazae [-zi:] - халаза;

choline ['kəʊli:n] - холин, вітамін D4;

cholesterol [kə'lest(ə)rɔl] - холестерин.

sulphide ['sʌlfaıd] - сульфід, сірчана сполука.

3.Read and translate the text.

EGGS AS FOOD

Bird eggs are a common food source. The most commonly used bird eggs are those from the chicken, duck, and goose, but smaller eggs such as quail eggs are occasionally used as a gourmet ingredient, as are the largest bird eggs, from ostriches. Eggs are frequently used in both sweet and savoury dishes as a source of protein as well as to bind the other ingredients in a recipe together. Sometimes the egg yolk is used separately from the egg white (or albumen). The egg yolk is suspended in the egg white by one or two spiral bands of tissue called the chalazae.

Nutritional value. Chicken eggs are the most commonly eaten eggs and are highly nutritious. They supply a large amount of complete protein (which is of higher quality than all other food proteins) and provide significant amount of several vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, riboflavin, folic acid, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, choline, iron, calcium, phosphorous and potassium.

All of the egg vitamins A, D and E are in the yolk. The egg is one of the few foods which naturally contain vitamin D. A large egg yolk contains approximately 60 calories; the egg white contains about 15 calories. The yolk makes up about 33% of the liquid weight of the egg. It contains all of the fat in the egg and slightly less than half of the protein. The egg white consists primarily of water (87%) and protein (13%) and contains no cholesterol and little, if any, fat.

The primary cooking techniques for eggs are: baking, boiling, poaching, frying.

When eggs are boiled or fried the proteins coagulate first in the white at about 60°С, then in the yolk. This property of coagulation makes eggs suitable for binding dry ingredients together in cooking, and for thickening sauces and soups. The black discoloration which is sometimes present around the yolk of hard boiled eggs is iron sulphide. This blackening can be reduced by cooling the eggs in water immediately after cooking.

When egg whites are beaten, the proteins will hold air and form a stable foam which coagulates or sets at a very low temperature. Eggs are also used as raising agents, for example, in sponge cakes. In mayonnaise eggs are used to promote the emulsification.

During heating some of the heat-sensitive B-vitamins are lost. For example, the average loss of thiamin and riboflavin which results from boiling, frying, scrambling is between 5 and 15 per cent.

4.Answer the following questions.

1.Eggs of what birds are commonly used?

2.What are eggs used for?

3.What is the nutritional value of chicken eggs?

4.Are vitamins found in the yolk or in the white of eggs?

5.How much energy does egg yolk contain?

6.What does egg white consist of?

7.What are the main cooking techniques for eggs?

8.At what temperature do the proteins in eggs coagulate?

9.In what way can the property of coagulation be used?

10.What does the black discolouration around the yolk show?

11.When can egg white form stable foam?

12.Are there any losses of nutrients in eggs during heating?

5.Give the Ukrainian equivalents to the following word combinations.

The most commonly used eggs, quail eggs, sweet and savoury dishes, spiral bands of tissue, highly nutritious, complete protein, to bind dry ingredients together, to hold air, to form a stable foam, raising agent, to promote emulsification.

6.Complete the sentences with the given words and word combinations.

1.Eggs have high ... 2.They make a useful contribution to the daily intake of ... 3.Egg proteins have some ... 4.One of them is ... 5.The property of coagulation makes eggs suitable for ... 6.Another property is its ability ... 7.When eggs are beaten they ... 8.They are used as ... in bakery. 9.Eggs are used to promote ... in mayonnaise. 10.Because of all these properties eggs are widely used in ... a) hold an air. b) the emulsification. c) nutritional quality. d) food industry. e) the property of coagulation. f) vitamins D, A, B6, B12, iron and protein. g) to form a stable foam. h) interesting biological properties. i) binding dry ingredients together. j) raising agents.

7.Study the following table and try to prove that eggs make a valuable contribution to a healthy, balanced diet.

28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   Наступна

THE DIFFERENT DAIRY PRODUCTS | Hadrian's Wall | TYPES OF MEAT | MEAT COMPOSITION AND NUTRITIONAL VALUE | American cuts of pork. | COOKING MEAT | GRAMMAR | FISH: A NUTRITIOUS FAMILY FOOD | How to Cook Fish | WHICH FISH ARE MOST NUTRITIOUS? |

© 2016-2022  um.co.ua - учбові матеріали та реферати