Означальні підрядні пропозиції
слова carry и mean і словосполучення з ними
Суфікси - / ve, -іге
Text 5А. Is there an End to the Computer Race?
Text 5B. Computers Concern You
Text 5D. The Library of Congress
Вправа 1.Переведіть словосполучення, звертаючи увагу на різні способи вираження визначення.
a new invention, to be of great importance, books available in this library, at this time, our professor's lectures, the building of their institute, an institute's library, a television programme, our central TV programme, the first television set, the first pocket-size colour television set, today's shows, a tiny nine-by-twelve inch box, the 1939 World Fair, a reading room, people living in different time zones of the country, modern TV sets appearing now, a written text, a factory built in Siberia, an article to translate, the first to translate those texts.
Вправа 2.Вкажіть пропозиції, де виділене слово є визначенням.
1. Complex systems of radiotransmission networks have been set up throughout the world. 2. Scientists all over the world were quick to realize the importance of radioand contributed much to
its further development. 3. The Russian scientist A.S.Popov worked much at the problem of radiocommunication. 4. It is necessary to radiothe latest news to distant parts of the country. 5. The system of communicationin any country is unthinkable today without satellites. 6. Electronic technology has made it possible to set up automatic communicationsystems. 7. A new international orbital system provides telephone, telegraph and telex communicationwith ships practically in every part of the World Ocean. 8. It is known that a photonis a particle of light. 9. Some specialists expect that a photoncan greatly increase the operation of a computer. 10. Photoncomputers are quite possible in the not so far future.
Вправа 3.Знайдіть визначення в пропозиціях і переведіть їх.
A. 1. There are twenty-five students in our group, five students
got excellent marks for all their exams. 2. Students studying at our
institute must know mathematics well. 3. The device made at our
laboratory will be used in industry. 4. It is a short and easy text, our
students do not need a dictionary to translate it. 5. Scientists work
ing at new computers have a lot of different problems to solve. 6. A
citizen of our country was the first to circle the globe. 7. The first
television black-and-white pictures produced a sensation in +1939.
8. A tiny nine-by-twelve inch box was displayed at the 1 939 World
Fair. 9. Now we can see many different radio and TV sets in every
house. 10. Computers of different types and sizes have appeared in
every country of the world.
B. 1. Materials necessary at present to produce supercomputers
are difficult to make. 2. A system capable of transmitting long dis
tance messages was developed at the end of the last century. 3. Peo
ple present at the World Fair in New York were interested in the new
invention. 4. Some general engineering subjects difficult for the
first-year students are necessary for studying specialized subjects.
Вправа 4.Назвіть підлягає придаткового визначальних пропозиції, переведіть і вкажіть, де можна опустити союзне слово.
1. Morse invented a code that used dots and dashes for letters of the alphabet. 2. Al. Bell found an assistant who was a specialist in electrical engineering. 3. They wanted to build a machine which people could use to talk over long distances. 4. A television screen and camera that will be used with a usual telephone are very small. 5. People who come to the Aircraft Fair in Paris see new designs of aircraft from different countries. 6. Bell did not know German
which most writers of scientific and technical papers used at the time. 7. The decimal system that was developed by French scientists was introduced in Russia by D.I. Mendeleev.
Вправа 5.Змініть пропозиції, де це можливо, згідно зі зразками і переведіть.
A. Наприклад: The experiments which Popov madewere discussed at the Univer
sity meeting. The experiments Popov madewere discussed at the University meeting.
1. Newton's great work which was published in тисячі шістсот вісімдесят сім is called «Principia». 2. The Russian Chemical Society which is named after Mendeleev was organised more than a century ago. 3. The subjects that the students study in the first and second years are very important for their future speciality. 4. The invention which Popov made did not interest the government.
B. Наприклад: The laboratory in which the students will workis in a new build
ing. The laboratory which the students will work inis in a new building. The labora
tory the students will work inis in a new building.
1. The film about which we were told had been made several years before. 2. The magazine in which a very interesting article is published is available in our library. 3. The material of which this instrument is made is a new one. 4. This is a subject about which we do not know much. 5. The cosmonauts about whom we heard so much came to our town. 6. Have you seen the main components which the new device consists of?
Вправа 6.Знайдіть безсполучникові означальні підрядні пропозиції, переведіть їх.
1. The building our students live in is not far from the institute. 2. Bell was making his experiment in a room next to the room Watson worked in. 3. For a long time Bell could not get the results he was looking for. 4. The discovery of Newton's mistake we shall read about was made by a young physicist. 5. When Roentgen made his discovery the room he was experimenting in was dark. 6. The plant this material is produced at is in the Urals. 7. The problem this article deals with is connected with the subject we study. 8. It is difficult to imagine the world we live in without radio, television and telephone.
Вправа7. Визначте, чи є виділені слова іменником або дієсловом. Назвіть підтверджують це ознаки.
1. this meansthat; this means; it means;new means;this meansis. 2. this increaseis; this increases; it increases;nothing increases;
its increase.3. these results;this resultsin; both results;this result;both resultin; it resultsfrom.
Вправа 8.Переведіть виділені словосполучення, звертаючи увагу на різні значення слова carry,
1. During the course of study students carry outpractical work in well-equipped laboratories. 2. People are carriedby airplanes, ships, trains and cars equipped with electronic devices. 3. Intensive work and research are being carried outon new robots in many countries. 4. A new computer carries outa few hundred thousand calculations in a few seconds. 5. Peter, help me carrythis heavy box, please.
Вправа 9.Знайдіть російські еквіваленти для наступних словосполучень.
to be in general usage; electronically controlled; in other words; of a few square millimetres; commonly; the more ..., the more; operation by operation; according to; advantage over; a thousand times faster.
згідно; розміром в декілька мм; з електронним управлінням; чим більше ..., тим більше; бути загальновживаним; операція за операцією; зазвичай; в 1000 разів швидше; іншими словами; перевага в порівнянні.
СЛОВОТВІР Вправа 10. А.Переведіть такі похідні слова:
дієслово або іменник + -ive = прикметник
to act - діяти - » active - діяльний
intensity- інтенсивність -> intensive- інтенсивний
to conserve - conservative, progress - progressive, effect - effective, mass - massive, to react - reactive;
суфікс іменника -іге nature - природа; culture - культура
structure, manufacture, future, measure, feature, agriculture; префікс super- (понад, супер) supernatural - надприродного; superpower - наддержава
supergenius, supercomputer, superman, supermarket, supersonic, superhot, superconductor.
В. Утворіть і переведіть похідні слова за зразком:
A Great Citizen of the World | Most people living in towns consider it a usual thing that streets are lit at night. But street lights need a power supply (джерело | Human activity | The main types of fuel or processes used to generate energy in our country. | Save the Planet | LESSON 4 | Been solved and in the future it would be possible via satellite and cable TV to use more channels on a TV set at every home in the world. | Pocket-size - кишеньковий | Exercise 3. Read and learn. | Прочитайте текст і знайдіть інформацію про те, в яких країнах вчені працювали над створенням телеграфного зв'язку, які труднощі зустрілися при цьому. Перекажіть. |