Головна

Complex Object with the Infinitive

1. B. Complex Sentence
  2. Choose the only correct answer. Use the Complex Object and Complex Subject.
  3. Complete the sentences using the appropriate Gerund or Infinitive form.
  4. Complete with the correct form of the Infinitives in brackets as an Object.
  5. Complex Subject
  6. Complex Subject (The Subjective Infinitive Construction)

Complex Object with the Infinitive is the construction in which the object is complex consisting of a noun or a personal pronoun in objective case plus the Infinitive: I'd like the students/them to come at 5.

Complex Objectis used:

a) after the verbs of sense perception hear, see watch, feel, observe, notice,etc.

· in the Active Voice without the particle to:

I haven't heard anyone call me.

I felt the blood rushinto my cheeks.

· and in the Passive Voice with the particle to:

She was heard to scream.

NOTE: When the verb see has the meaning of 'understand' and the verb hear has the meaning of 'learn, be told' Complex Object is not used:

I saw that he didn't realize the danger.

I hear that he leftfor the South.

b) after the verbs denoting:

mental activity: know, think, consider, believe, suppose, expect, imagine, find, feel, trust
declaring: declare, pronounce, report
wish and intention: want, wish, desire, mean, intend, choose
feeling and emotion: like, dislike, love, hate, cannot bear
order and permission: order, allow, suffer, have
compulsion: make, cause, get, have

e.g.: Everyoneknows him to be admirable.

The judge pronounced the suspect to be guilty.

I want you to comeand dine with me.

I dislike him to talklike that.

Theteacherordered the room to be aired.

The noisemade her wake up.

The crashcaused her to wake up.

95   96   97   98   99   100   101   102   103   104   105   106   107   108   109   110   Наступна

Translate the sentences into English using the Verbals. | General Information | Forms of the Infinitive | THE FUNCTIONS OF THE INFINITIVE | Make one sentence out of two using the Infinitive as a Subject. The first sentence has been done for you. | Translate into English using the Infinitive as a Subject or a Predicative. | Paraphrase the sentences using the Infinitive as an Attribute. The first one has been done for you. | Complete with the correct form of the Infinitives in brackets as an Object. | Translate into English using the Infinitive where possible in the functions of an Object, Attribute or Result. | Use your own ideas to complete the sentences with the Infinitive as a Purpose. |

© um.co.ua - учбові матеріали та реферати