LYING IN THE SUN

1. ADDING, SUBTRACTING, MULTIPLYING AND DIVIDING THE WHOLE NUMBERS
  2. Applying for a Job
  3. MBA diary: California dreamin ': Applying to business school can take over your whole life, says Temi Olatunde.
  4. UNIT 4. APPLYING FOR A JOB

Two tramps, Eugine and Sergio, were lying in the sun.

Eugine: What (1) ___ (We / doing)if the sun (2) ___ (Not shining)?
Sergio: Well, (3) ___ (We / not be)lying here for a start. But that's not the important question. The important question is: what (4) ___(We do)if (5) ___ (We / be)rich?
Eugine: If (6) ___(We / be)rich, we (7) ___ (Can / travel)everywhere.
Sergio: True, but we travel everywhere already.
Eugine: Yes, but not in style. If (8) ___ (We / have)money, our chauffeur, James, (9) ___(Can / drive)us round in our Rolls. Imagine, if (10) ___ (We / be)in that position. (11) ___(We / return)to our fine mansion in the country.
Sergio: Yes, the butter (12) ___(Put out)fresh clothes for us, the cook (13) ___ (Prepare)a fine meal for us. We (14) ___ not just be eating carrots all the time.
Eugine: Yes. If (15) ___(We / own)a house like that, (16) ___ (We / also / have)a fine swimming-pool.
Sergio: Yes! Yes! If (17) ___(We / have)a fine swimming-pool, we (18) ___ (Can / swim)as much as we liked.
Eugine: If (19) ___(We / be)really rich, we (20) ___(Can / lie)in the sun!
Sergio: But weare lying in the sun!

9. Your friend can not decide where to go on holiday. Make some suggestions about where he / she could go and what he / she could do. (He / She could visit famous buildings; practise languages; eat national dishes; do / watch certain sports).

Model: Spain

If you went to Spain, you could eat paella, lie in the sun, watch a bull-fight and speak Spanish.

1) London; 2) Scotland; 3) India; 4) Mexico; 5) Paris; 6) Italy; 7) Egypt;

8) New York.

10. Translate into English:

1) , .

2) , -.

3) , .

4) - , ? - , , . .

5) , .

6) - , ? - .

7) - , ? - , , . .

8) , .

9) - ϳ ! - , .

10) , .

11) , .

12) , .

13) , .

14) , - .

15) , .

Unit 5 Type III ConditionalS

1. Type III Conditionalsassume something purely imaginary in the if-clause and consider the imagined consequences in the main clause.

if-clause main clause

if+ Past Perfect would + Perfect Infinitive

Ifhe had triedharder, he would have succeeded.

Other modals can replace would in Type III Conditionals when we feel that theimagined consequences were less likely, or when we are referring toability, possibility, etc .:

imagined condition imagined outcome

Ifhe had beenhere yesterday, he could have toldus (ability).

If he had beenhere yesterday, he might have toldus (possibility).

Ifhe had receiveda present, he should have thankedher (duty).

2.Type III Conditionals refer to consequences which did not and could not ever happen because they refer to something that did not happen in the past.

If I had seen her, I would have been very glad. , . ( )

If I had workedharder at school, I'd have gota better job (Referring to something possible: often expressing regret).

If I had livedin the Stone Age, I would have beena hunter (Referring to a completely impossible situation).

3. If I had been you / in your position

These expressions are often used to describe actions we would have followed in someone else's positions.

If I had been youI would have married to him

4. Inversion with hadin Type III Conditionals

The form Had (he)is a formal variation of if (he) had.

Hadthe management actedsooner, the strike would not have happened.

39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54  

Mood. General Information | The use of the Subjunctive Mood. | , | If you have finished, you can go out. | Put the verbs into the correct form. | Use the correct verb form instead of the Infinitive in brackets. | Complete the following sentences with the correct form of the word in brackets. Use will, going to, Present Simple and Present Perfect. There are may be two possibilities. | Some workers are demonstrating outside their factory. Use their demands to decide what they actually say to the managers and make conditional sentences (Type 1). | Think of a suitable way to complete the second half of the dialogue. | Match these parts to make conditional sentences. |

© um.co.ua -