Ex.4. Paraphrase the following sentences according to the model.
They are our friends. → They are friends of ours.
I've recently seen your cousin. → I've recently seen that cousin of yours.
1. She is their relative.
2. That policeman is my friend.
3. We are your former students.
4. How's your niece?
5. My work isn't your business.
6. I met her boyfriend yesterday.
7. She is our new neighbour.
8. He was listening to her every word very attentively.
9. Is that their house? I can't believe!
10. I've suggested that idea! Don't lie that it's your idea.
Ex.5. Complete the conversations. Use this, that, these and those.
1. Are we going out _________ evening? - I can't really. I'll be working late at the office.
2. I hear you've found a new job. - _________'s right. I've just been hired by a German advertising agency.
3. What's the matter? - It's _________ shoes. They are too small and are hurting my feet.
4. It's so boring here. - I know. Nothing ever happens in _________ place.
5. What's happened? You look so happy. - You won't believe _________ , but I've just learnt that I've been enrolled on _________ courses I told you about.
6. What make of a car is _________? - I don't know. It's too far away to say exactly.
7. The conference is two weeks from today. - Sorry, I won't be able to participate. I'll be away all _________ week.
8. Best Solutions Ltd. Can I help you? - Hello, _________ is Alan. Can I speak to Fiona, please?
9. I've had _________ awful feeling since Michael blamed me for the failure. - Did he? _________ wasn't honest of him.
10. _________ flat isn't .. very comfortable, is it? - No, it isn't. I don't think I'll want to live here.
Ex.6. Fill in each gap with some or any.
1. Are there _________ high mountains in the Netherlands? - No, there aren't. The highest point is 321 metres above sea level.
2. We haven't got _________ bread. - You should go to the shop then. We need _________ vegetables too.
3. Were there _________ people at the conference that you knew? - There were _________ colleagues from my previous work.
4. He is lazy. He never does _________ work.
5. She is living in _________ village in Sweden.
6. Excuse me, could you give me _________ information about trains to Berlin?
7. Would you like _________ milk with your coffee?
8. Can you lend me _________ money for the parking machine? - Certainly. I've got _________ coins. How much do you need?
9. You can exchange your money at _________ bank.
10. It is no use asking him about it. He has hardly _________ knowledge of the subject.
Ex.7. Fill in the gaps with the correct preposition or adverb. | Define which is odd. | Discussion points | Ex.22. Scan through the text and give headlines to its main parts and paragraphs. | Ex.24. Read the text again. Decide whether these statements are true or false. Correct the false statements. | Reading | On the phone | Inquiring about the telephone number | Ex.5. Put the following extracts of telephone calls into the correct order. | Ex.7. Choose the correct response. |