1. Computer a) a combination of interconnected
circuit elements produced in a chip to perform a definite function
2. Analog computer b) a sequence of instructions en-
abling the computer to solve a given task
3. Digital computer c) a tiny piece of silicon containing
1 complex electronic circuits used
inside all computers
4. Hardware d) a system which processes and
stores great amount of data solving problems of numerical computation
Англійська мова. Основи комп'ютерної грамотності 66
5. Software e) a device which can carry out rou-
tine mental tasks by performing simple operations at high speed
6. Program f) electronic and mechanical equip-
ment in a computer system
7. Programming g) a set of programs, procedures and
8. Integrated circuit h) the process of preparation a set of
coded instructions for a computer
9. Chip i) a device that has input and output
represented in the form of physical quantities
10. Transistor j) a small piece of a semiconductor
that greatly reduced power consumption of a circuit
3. Розкрийте дужки, вживаючи:
Л. Правильну неособисту форму дієслова
1. Computing is a concept (embraced; embracing; for embracing) not only arithmetics, but also computer literacy. 2. We can make the computer do what we want (inputted; to input; by inputting) signals (turning; turned; without turning) switches on and off. 3. Computers have a means (by communicating; of communicating; communicated) with the user. 4. Computers work according to the instructions (giving; given; to give) to it by users. 5. The transistor (inventing; invented; for inventing) in 1948 completely changed the vacuum tubes.
Б. Дієслово в дійсному або пасивному стані
1. Computers (applied; are applied; are applying) for automatic piloting and automatic navigation. 2. The programs (write; have written; are written) to help people in the use of the computer system. 3. As digital computers (count; counted; are counted) quickly, they widely (use; used; are used) in business data processing. 4. Once data (entered; have entered; have been entered) correctly into the data processing system, the possibility of error (reduced; is reduced; are reduced). 5. It is known that an analyst (use; uses; is used) a computer to solve specific problems.
67 Unit 5. Computer Systems: An Overview
4. Прочитайте текст і виберіть правильні відповіді на поставлені нижче питання до тексту.
FROM THE HISTORY OF COMPUTER DEVELOPMENT IN RUSSIA
As it is well known, Russian scientists made great contribution into the development of computers. Russian mathematician P. Chebyshev who lived in the 19th century was interested in calculators. Among many other mechanisms invented by him there was an arithmometer designed in 1876. It was one of the most unique calculating machines of the time. At the beginning of the 20th century Academic A.Krylov constructed a mechanical integrator for solving differential equations.
The first Soviet computer, a small-size computing machine (MESM) was tested in 1950 under Academician S.Lebedev. Next year it was put into operation. In a year MESM was followed by BESM, a large-size electronic computing machine, with 8000 operations per second.
Serial production of computers in the USSR has been started since 1953. That year U.Basilevsky headed the design and manufacture of computer STRELA. 1 958 witnessed the production of И-.20, computers of the first generation under the guidance of S.Lebedev. The first generation of electron tube computers was followed by the second generation of foto transistor computers, using magnetic logic elements.
Starting with 1964 semiconductor computers -
Англійська мова. Основи комп'ютерної грамотності 68
URAL, BESM-4 and M-220 were produced. Under Academician Glushkov small-size computers MIR, MIR-2 and DNEPR were designed and tested at the Institute of Cybernetics.
In the late 60s together with other members of the Council of Mutual Economic Assistance the Soviet Union started on the program of Unified Computer System, the program concerned with the third generation of computers with high-speed performance and program compatibility (сумісність).
1. What was one of the first achievements in the sphere of
calculating in Russia?
a) calculator; b) arithmometer; c) mechanical integrator
2. When was the first Soviet computer put into operation?
a) in 1950; b) in 1951; c) in 1952
3. Who headed the serial production of computers in the
a) A.Krylov; b) S.Lebedev; c) U. Basilevsky
4. Which machine was the first in the development of the first
a) MESM; b) STRELA; з) М-20
5. When did the production of the third generation comput-
a) late 60s; b) early 70s; c) late 70s
I. Quiz-game "What do you know about computers?" (Who is the first to give the right answers to the questions below?)
1. What does "a computer-literate" person mean?
2. What is the role of computers in our society?
v ?. What is electronics?
4. Where are electronic devices used?
5. What jnvention contributed to the appearance of
6. When and where was the transistor invented?
7. What advantages did the transistor have over the vacuum
8. When was the integrated circuit discovered?
69 Unit 5. Computer Systems: An Overview
9. What is the essence of the integrated circuit?
10. What is microelectronics?
11. What techniques does microelectronics use?
12. What scales of integration are known to you?
13. What do you understand by microminiaturization?
14. What was the very first calculating device?
15.Who gave the ideas for producing logarithm tables? 16 .. Who invented the first calculating machine?
17. How was the first calculating machine called?
18. What was the first means of coding data?
19. What Business Corporation was the first to produce
20 In what fields were the first computers used? 2JU When was the first analog computer build? 22 ^ What was the name of the first digital computer? f3T) Who built the first digital computer? 24Г What is ENIAC? Decode it.
25. Who contributed the idea of ??storing data and instructions
in binary code?
26. What does binary code mean?
27. What were computers of the first generation based on?
28. What invention contributed to the appearance of the
second generation computers?
29. What was the essence of the third computer generation?
30. What is the basis of the fourth computer generation?
5T) What is a computer?
"32. What are the main junciiom-of the computers?
33. What is a program?
34. What are data?
35. What is data processing?
$ F & Name four advantages of computer data processing.
37. What is capacity storage?
38. What is hardware?
39. What is software?
40. Who designs computers?
Підберіть замість пропусковподходящее за змістом слово. | Прочитайте текст і скажіть, як ви розумієте терміни «обробка інформації» та «ієрархія запам'ятовування інформації». | Basic data processing operations | Data storage hierarchy | Підберіть до термінів, даними в лівій колонці, визна чення, представлені справа. | Згадайте значення нових слів і здогадайтеся про зна чення їх похідних. | Стаття (текст) присвячена проблемі / питання ... На початку статті | Types of computers | Переведіть пропозиції, що містять Participle I і Participle II, в функції обставини. | Згадайте значення нових слів і спробуйте пере вести словосполучення, що вживаються з цими словами. |