Головна

TELLING AND REFERRING

1. E) Imagine you are telling the class about your recent trip to London.
WARM UP

1. Take a deep diaphragmatic breath on the count of 6. On the next count of 6 hold it, and on the next count of 6 release the air. Proceed in the same way on the counts of 7 and then 8. Try to breathe in and out softly.

2. Take a deep diaphragmatic breath and count aloud from 1 to 6. Try to use all air you have in your lungs. Make sure that your vocal cords are relaxed. Check on it by putting your hand on your throat - the neck muscles should not be tensed. Proceed in the same way now counting to 7 and then to 8.

3. Take a deep diaphragmatic breath and say the following "One by one they went away". If you have some air left let it out freely. Make sure that your vocal cords are relaxed. Proceed in the same way adding one unit to the sentence "One by one and two by two they went away", and so on up to "six by six..."

4. Do the same as in 3. but starting with the lowest voice you can make and picking its range on each number. The last number should be said on the highest peach of your voice. Try not to go beyond your natural voice.

5. Do the same as in 4. but starting on the lowest pitch and going to the highest.

6. Take a deep diaphragmatic breath and read the following poem. Start by taking a breath after each line. Increase the number of lines read at one breath until you read the whole poem at one breath. Try to control the output of the air and make sure that your vocal cords are relaxed.

The summer is over,

The trees are all bare,

There is mist in the garden,

And frost in the air.

The meadows are empty,

And gathered the sheaves -

But isn't it lovely,

Kicking up leaves?

SOUND PRACTICE

SOUNDS

VOWEL SOUNDS [ ] - [ ]

Practise the following pairs of words:

Bart - but

cart - cut

large - lunch

start - struck

sharp - shut

basket - bucket

classes - clusters

rather - ruddy

bargain - butter

carpet - courage

cardinal - customer

gardener - guttural

argument - ultimate

barleycorn - luxury

Margaret - mulberry

Practise the following proverbs:

Well begun is half done.

He laughs best who laughs last.

What is done cannot be undone.

º THE SOUND /h/ AND LINKING /w/ AND /j/

1.Listen and tick the words you hear.

hair air

heat eat

hearing earring

heels eels

2. Listen and repeat these pairs of words, paying attention to the pronunciation of /h/.

hair air heart art

heat eat hall all

hearing earring hill ill

heels eels

3. Work in pairs. Student A: Say one of the words in 2. Student B: Point to the word you hear.

Repeat this until Student A has said all the words. Swap over.

4.èIn fast speech, when a word begins with a vowel sound it links with the word before. (Be careful not to add an [h] sound at the start of a word where it isn't needed!)

modern art

èWhen the word before also ends in a vowel sound, then either a /w/ or a /j/ is added.

/w/ /j/

What nice blue earrings! I love sea air

Circle the correct rules:

a A rounded/spread vowel sound (eg /u:/) at the end of a word is linked to the following word with a /w/ sound.

b A rounded/spread vowel sound (eg /i:/) at the end of a word is linked to the following word with a /j/ sound.

5. Listen to these sentences. Underline the linking /w/ sounds.

aHenry and I agree you are b Helen was free at seven, and she c Holly admires my nephew Hugh toinherit the antique hurried to meet Joe at the a lot. He's a handsome boy,

hatstand. opera house. and so intelligent too.

Listen again and underline the linking /j/ sounds. Practise reading the sentences, paying attention to the pronunciation of h and linking /w/ and /j/.

º CONSONANT CLUSTERS PRACTICE [tr] [dr] [tw]

A How are you travelling, Trevor?

B By train. The twelve twenty.

a Shall I drive you to the station ?

b In all this dreadful traffic ? Oh, no - I'll try to get a taxi.

a It's no trouble. Of course, if you don't trust my driving...

B Oh, I trust your driving, all right.

a Fine. Twelve at your flat, then ?

b Thanks. But Tricia, the trip really is tremendously important and...

A Mm?

b Well, the train really doesleave at twelve twenty.

TELLING AND REFERRING

This is the first of three units, which demonstrate the use and meaning of tone. It introduces the simple distinction between the two types of tone - finally falling and finally rising - and select the most frequently occurring of each type - the fall and fall-rise. The distinction can be simply explained in this way: when speakers choose to present what they say in any part of an utterance as new for their hearers they choose a falling tone. (To tell implies that the hearer's / reader's knowledge or experience is being extended by the information.) If on the other hand, they present what they say as already common ground between them at that point in the conversation, they choose a fall-rise. (To 'refer' is used when we assume some kind of familiarity on the hearer's / reader's part with the information.)

e. g. A: Can you tell me when the last bus leaves, please?

B: // Well toDAY's SUNday// so it left an HOUR ago //

1. SENSITISATION

1.1 Listen to this part of a conversation.

Dave: What shall we give Claire?

Gill: Well, as she likes reading, we could give her a book.

1.2 Listen again to what Dave says and try to answer the questions: Dave: What shall we give Claire?

a) Can you say in which direction the pitch of Dave's voice moves on "give Claire"?

b) Do you think, they have already spoken about giving Claire something?

c) Do you think they have just been talking about Claire?

1.3 Now listen again to what Gill says and try to answer the questions. Gill: Well, as she likes reading, we could give her a book.

a) Can you say in which direction the pitch of Gill's voice moves on "reading" and on "book"?

b) Does Gill assume that Dave knows Claire likes reading?

2. EXPLANATION

There are two main kinds of tone in English: those which finally fall (,), and those which finally rise (,). Of these, the two which seem to occur most frequently are the and the .

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   Наступна

INTONATION AND ITS COMPONENTS. | HIGHLIGHTING. RHYTHM | The transcription | B: // SORRy // (homework)// THURSday | SPEECH MELODY. ITS COMPONENTS | TYPES OF TONES (2). TYPES OF HEADS. | Lisa: Hello, Tony. Did you go for your interview yesterday? | Student A, Student B. | FALLING AND RISING TONES | Listen and read |

© 2016-2022  um.co.ua - учбові матеріали та реферати