1. Decide if the sentences are true or false.
1. Besides CDs and DVDs, there are other types of optical storage; e.g. Blu-ray and HD-DVD.
2. CDs are 120 mm in diameter and 12 mm thick. DVDs are 122 mm in diameter and 12.5 mm thick.
3. DVDs have more tracks, and the pits used to store data are smaller; they have a greater storage capacity than CDs.
4. DVDs can be played on CD players, so there's no need to invest in new hardware.
5. Blu-ray may soon become the dominant optical storage technology, although Toshiba, Microsoft and the DVD Forum are supporting HD-DVD technology instead.
2. Look back into the Key Information Section and find:
3. Complete this product description with the words from the text in the box.
|Portable DVD players let you watch movies or TV, play games and listen to music, wherever you are. They usually run on batteries, have a widescreen (rectangular 16:9 format) LCD and support multi-format playback, allowing you access to many file formats including DVD video, JPEG pictures, MP3 music, etc. They have two built-in stereo speakers, or headphones if you don't want to disturb other people.|
The Panasonic DVD-LS91 is a top-of-the-range ..., which provides pure entertainment wherever you go. It has a big 9 inch built-in ... LCD, so you can really enjoy movies. The built-in stereo speakers allow you to listen along, or if you want to listen alone, just plug in a pair of ... This portable machine provides ... , so you can play DVD Audio/Video, CD-R/RW, DVD-RAM, DivX and MP3 files. Its compact design features a built-in rechargeable 6 hour battery pack.
The DVD-LS91 allows 6 hours of playback, and provides a perfect way to entertain yourself and your kids during long trips.
4. Fill in the missing letters to make a term related to optical storage. Complete these extracts from
|an ICT textbook using these terms. You may have to use the plural form.||dual l...|
|optical d... laser b...||backward-с... double-s...||multi-f... Blu-r...|
5. Which device or format would be most suitable for storing these things and why?
GRAMMAR PRACTICE SECTION | READING PRACTICE SECTION | Flickering beginnings | Readers comments | SPEAKING/WRITING PRACTICE SECTION | FUN AND GAMES SECTION | KEY INFORMATION SECTION 1 | KEY INFORMATION SECTION 2 | VOCABULARY PRACTICE SECTION 2 | KEY INFORMATION SECTION 3 |