One question that always comes up is: "Are teenagers a problem in your country?" Actually there are two questions. The second one is: "Do teenagers have problems in your country?" With both these questions we have the familiar linking of the words "teenager" and "problems". Why are the two words so inextricably linked? Why should teenagers be more of a problem than, say, middle-aged people or babies? And why should they have the prerogative on having problems? Let's see if we can come up with some answers and best way to do that is to ask questions.
"Teenagers" are people who are in the stage of their life when they are developing from children into adults. Sometimes teenagers develop interests and values ??different from those of their parents. That sets a conflict between two generations, which leads to a gap in mutual understanding. Traditional disagreements are: the time to come home at night, doing work about the house and the friends to spend time with. It's important to point out that teens themselves face a number of problems: drinking alcohol or using drugs. Moreover, some children run away from homes. Most of them return after a few days or weeks, but some turn to crime and become juvenile delinquents.
According to "the older generation" teenagers are lazy, they wear ridiculous clothes and are appallingly rude to their betters and elders; they find it impossible to be polite, helpful, constructive, caring or hard-working. What's more, they spend all their time listening to awful music ( "It is not music, it's just a collection of terrible noises!") And gawping at unsuitable films. And all they ever think about is parties, drugs and sex.
Actually, it is quite the opposite of the truth. Teenagers spend a lot of time thinking about their work (studies), their families and friends, and their hobbies. Sure, there are certain preoccupations such as clothes, money, how to behave in a certain situation, their bodies. Most young people take jobs while they are studying. They work at movie theatres, fast-food restaurants, gas stations, and stores to pay for their clothes and entertainment.
Adolescence is a difficult time because it is a period of transformation. It is not quite as bad as a chrysalis changing into a butterfly but it may seem like it - or even the other way round! It is not easy to grow up and the physical and emotional changes are often confusing and worrying. It is exactly at that age when young people need a piece of advice or help. Parents should help their children and find the right approach to them so as to make everything clear. Being able to view the problems more rationally, they should try to do their best to resolve them. We need to learn to talk our problems over in our family. If we are able to do it, everything will be all right.
6.2.3 Прочитайте наступні висловлювання і виправте неправильні висловлювання у відповідність зі змістом тексту:
1. With both these questions we have the familiar linking of the words "teenager" and "adult".
2. Teenagers are people who are on the stage of their life when they are developing from babies into toddlers.
3. That sets a conflict between two generations, which leads to misunderstanding.
4. Some children run away from homes and never come back.
5. According to "the older generation" teenagers are hard-working, caring and polite.
6. Teenagers spend a lot of time thinking about parties, drugs and sex.
7. Teenagers work because they want to be independent.
8. Adolescence is a period of life when young people need independence.
9. We need to learn to hide our problems from our family.
10. Adolescence is a easy period of life.
6.2.4 Заповніть пропуски наступними словами:
1. Teenagers are people who are in the stage of their life when they are
developing from ... into ....
2. That sets a conflict between two ....
3. This conflict leads to a gap in ... understanding.
4. Some children run away from homes and become ... ....
5. According to ... ... teenagers are lazy, they wear ridiculous clothes.
6. Sure, there are some ... such as clothes, money, how to behave in a certain situation.
7. Most young people take jobs while they are ....
8. Adolescence is a ... time because it is a period of ... /
9. Physical and emotional changes are often ... and ....
10. It's exactly at that age when young people need a piece of ....
6.2.5 Прокоментуйте такі висловлювання:
1. The conflict between two generations leads to a gap in mutual understanding.
2. Adolescence is a period of transformation.
3. Teens themselves face a number of problems.
4. We need to talk our problems over in our family.
Складне доповнення (Complex Object) | Complex Subject | Problems of our life | Capital punishment is the only way to deter criminals | Складіть анотацію тексту. | Methods And Measures | Прочитайте уривок з газетної статті і думка читача. Поставте абзаци в правильному порядку. | форми причастя | Teaching Good Manners | Childhood is not the happiest time |