If you smoke and you still do not believe that there's a definite link between smoking and bronchial troubles, heart disease and lung cancer, then you are certainly deceiving yourself. No one will accuse you of hypocrisy. Let us just say that you are suffering from a bad case of wishful thinking. 5 This need not make you too uncomfortable because you are in good company, Whenever the subject of smoking and health is raised, the goverments of most countries hear no evil, see no evil and smell no evil. Admittedly, a few governments have taken timid measures. In Britain, for instance, cigarette advertising has been banned on television. The conscience of the nation is appeased, while the population continues to puff its way to smoky, cancerous death.
You do not have to look very far to find out why the official reactions to medical findings have been so luke-warm. The answer is simply money. Tobacco is a wonderful commodity to tax. It's almost like a tax on our daily bread. In tax revenue alone, the government of Britain collects enough from smokers to pay for its entire educational facilities. So while the authorities point out ever so discreetly that smoking may, conceivably, be harmful, it does not do to shout too loudly about it.
This is surely the most short-sighted policy you could imagine. While money is eagerly collected in vast sums with one hand, it is paid out in increasingly vaster sums with the other. Enormous amounts are spent on cancer research and on efforts to cure people suffering from the disease. Countless valuable lives are lost. In the long run, there is no doubt that everybody would be much better-off if smoking were banned altogether.
Of course, we are not ready for such drastic action. But if the govern-ments of the world were honestly concerned about the welfare of their peoples, you'd think they'd conduct aggressive anti-smoking campaigns. Far from it! The tobacco industry is allowed to spend staggering sums on advertising. Its advertising is as insidious as it is dishonest. We are never shown pictures of real smokers coughing up their lungs early in the morning. That would never do. The advertisements always depict virile, clean-shaven young men. They suggest it is manly to smoke, even positively healthy! Smoking is associated with the great open-air life, with beautiful girls, true love and togetherness. What utter nonsense!
For a start, governments could begin by banning all cigarette and tobacco advertising and should then conduct anti-smoking advertising campaigns of their own. Smoking should be banned in all public places like theatres, cinemas and restaurants. Great efforts should be made to inform young people especially of the dire consequences of taking up the habit. A horrific warning - say, a picture of a death's head - should be included in every packet of cigarettes that is sold. As individuals we are certainly weak, but if governments acted honestly and courageously, they could protect us from ourselves.
Прочитайте наступні висловлювання. Виправте невірні висловлювання у відповідність зі змістом тексту.
1. Very few people know about the link between smoking and heart disease.
2. The governments of most countries see evil when the subject of smoking is raised.
3. Most governments have taken stubborn measures concerning smoking.
4. Cigarette advertising was banned on TV in Britain.
5. Governments paid great attention to problems of smoking.
6. Governments collect much money from smokers in the form of tax.
7. Timid measures against smoking are regarded to be a useful policy.
8. Much money is spent on cancer research.
9. It would be much better if smoking is banned altogether.
10. All the countries are ready to ban smoking altogether.
11. Advertising of tobacco industry is insidious and dishonest.
12. It is really manly and healthy to smoke.
3.2.4. Заповніть пропуски наступними словами:
|facilities commodity conduct harmful banned manly cancerlink suffering timid drastic protect advertise public|
1. There is a definite ..... between smoking and lung cancer.
2. A few governments have taken ..... measures against smoking.
3. Advertising of cigarettes was ..... on British television.
4. Tobacco is a wonderful ..... to tax.
5. Educational ..... are paid by taxes on tobacco.
6. The government point out that smoking is probably ..... but do not shout about it.
7. Great sums of money are spent on ...... research.
8. Much money is paid to cure people ..... from cancer.
9. Countries are not ready for ...... actions against smoking.
10. We hope the governments will ..... aggressive anti-smoking campaigns.
11. Tobacco industry will be banned to ..... its products.
12. The advertisements show it is ...... to smoke.
13. Smoking should be banned in all ...... places.
14. If government acted courageously they could ..... us from ourselves.
3.2.5. Прокоментуйте такі висловлювання:
1. The best way to give up smoking is to carry wet matches.
2. To cease smoking is the easiest thing I ever did. I ought to know because I've done it a thousand times.
3. Man is his own worst enemy.
4. There is no little enemy.
5. Always forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them so much.
6. It is a sin to believe in evil of others, but it is seldom a mistake.
3.2.6. Поясніть, чому уряду невигідно приймати жорсткі заходи проти куріння.
Сформулюйте головну думку кожного абзацу. | Прочитайте пропозиції. Визначте форму присудка. | Examinations | Прочитайте дані висловлювання і скажіть, які з них відповідають тексту. Підтвердіть свої висловлювання фактами з тексту. | Складіть анотацію тексту. | Co-education | Сформулюйте основну думку кожного абзацу. | Pаздел 3.1. | Traffic Accidents | Прочитайте дані висловлювання і вкажіть, які з них відповідають тексту. Підтвердіть свої висловлювання фактами з тексту. |