From the health point of view we are living in a marvellous age. We are immunised from birth against many of the most dangerous diseases. A large number of once fatal illnesses can now be cured by modern drugs and surgery. It is almost certain that one day remedies will be found for the 5 most stubborn remaining diseases. The expectation of life has increased enormously. But though the possibility of living a long and happy life is greater than ever before, every day we witness the incredible slaughter of men, women and children on the roads. Man versus the motor-car! It is a never-ending battle which man is losing. Thousands of people the world over are killed or horribly mutilated each year and we are quietly sitting back and letting it happen.
It has been rightly said that when a man is sitting behind a steering wheel, his car becomes the extension of his personality. There is no doubt that the motor-car often brings out a man's very worst qualities. People
who are normally quiet and pleasant may become unrecognisable when they are behind a steering-wheel. They swear, they are ill-mannered and aggressive, wilful as two-year-olds and utterly selfish. All their hidden frustrations, disappointments and jealousies seem to be brought to the surface by the act of driving.
The surprising thing is that society smiles so benignly on the motorist and seems to condone his behaviour. Everything is done for his convenience. Cities are allowed to become almost uninhabitable because of heavy traffic; towns are made ugly by huge car parks; the countryside is desecrated by road networks; and the mass annual slaughter becomes nothing more than a statistic, to be conveniently forgotten.
It is high time a world code were created to reduce this senseless waste of human life. With regard to driving, the laws of some countries are notoriously lax and even the strictest are not strict enough. A code which was universally accepted could only have a dramatically beneficial effect on the accident rate. Here are a few examples of some of the things that might be done. The driving test should be standardised and made far more difficult than it is; ail drivers should be made to take a test every three years or so; the age at which young people are allowed to drive any vehicle should be raised to at least 21; all vehicles should be put through stringent annual tests for safety. Even the smallest amount of alcohol in the blood can impair a person's driving ability. Present drinking and driving laws (where they exist) should be made much stricter. Maximum and minimum speed limits should be imposed on all roads. Governments should lay down safety specifications for manufacturers, as has been done in the USA. All advertising stressing power and performance should be banned. These measures may sound inordinately harsh, but surely nothing should be considered as too severe if it results in reducing the annual toll of human life. After all, the world is for human beings, not motor-cars.
3.1.19. Переведіть слова і словосполучення на російську мову:
Marvellous age; dangerous diseases; a large number of; modern drugs and surgery; the expectation of life; never-ending battle; a man's very worst qualities; quiet and pleasant; become unrecognisable; ill-mannered and aggressive; utterly selfish; to be brought to the surface; because of heavy traffic; nothing more than; conveniently forgotten; senseless waste; with regard to driving; not strict enough; universally accepted; test for safety; to be allowed to drive; to make much stricter; amount of alcohol in the blood; speed limits; be considered as too severe; result in reducing.
3.1.20. Переведіть слова і словосполучення на англійську мову:
З точки зору; з народження; найнебезпечніші захворювання; виліковуватися сучасними ліками; можливість прожити довге і щасливе життя; будь-коли раніше; спокійно сидимо до цього спиною і дозволяємо цьому відбуватися; як правильно кажуть; продовження його особистості; нема сумнівів; можуть стати невпізнанними; норовливий як дворічна дитина; величезні парковки; виносити на поверхню; напружений транспортний рух; скоротити безглузду втрату людських життів; недостатньо суворі; набагато складніший; підвищити щонайменше до; слід заборонити.
3.1.21. Знайдіть в тексті пропозиції з даними словосполученнями:
The most dangerous diseases; increased enormously; man is losing; there is no doubt; behind a steering -wheel; hidden frustrations; to condone his behaviour; a dramatically beneficial effect; alcohol in the blood; advertising stressing power; after all.
3.1.22. Поясніть по-англійськи значення даних слів і виразів:
One day remedies; the extension of his personality; to become unrecognisable; ill-mannered; to become selfish; uninhabitable city; a vehicle; speed limits; beneficial effect; hidden frustrations.
3.1.23. Заповніть пропуски відповідними за змістом словами:
А) to lose - to miss - to waste
1. Many people ..... their job last year.
2. Do not ..... your breath arguing with him.
3. I tried to catch a ball but ......
4. He had to ..... a week of school.
5. It made him sick to see all that hard work ......
6. The family ..... everything when their house burnt down.
7. I've got a meeting and I do not want to ..... the train.
8. She ..... no time in spreading the gossip.
Б) to become - to get - to grow
1. The problem ..... worse.
2. You ..... ten points for each correct answer.
3. What sort of building was it before it ..... a museum.
4. He has spent the past seven years ..... his business.
5. I am sick of ..... shouted at for things that are not my fault.
6. In 1603 James ..... King of England.
7. Did you ..... tickets for the game?
8. They had ..... to love the place and the people.
3.1.24. Заповніть пропуски відповідними приводами, де це необхідно:
1. A large number .... once fatal illnesses can now be cured .... modern drugs.
2. The motor-car often brings .... a man's very worst qualities.
3. All their hidden frustrations seem to be brought ... the surface .... the act .... driving.
4. Everything is done .... his convenience.
5. Towns are made ugly ... huge car parks.
6. The laws are not strict enough .... regard .... driving.
7. A code could only have a dramatically beneficial effect .... the accident rate.
8. The age .... which young people are allowed to drive should be raised .... .... least 21.
9. Even the smallest amount ... alcohol .... the blood can impair a person's driving ability.
10. It results .... reducing the annual toll .... human life.
3.1.25. Поставте питання до виділених словами:
1. We are living in a marvellous age.
2. We are immunized against many diseases.
3. Remedies will be found for the most stubborn diseases.
4. We are quietly sitting back.
5. People may become unrecognizable when they are behind the steering-wheel.
6. All their hidden disappointments are brought to the surface.
7. Everything is done for his convenience.
8. A code was accepted everywhere.
9. A test should be taken every three years.
10. These measures may sound very harsh.
3.1.26. Задайте альтернативний і розділовий питання до наступних пропозицій:
1. The expectation of life has increased enormously.
2. Most diseases can be cured.
3. It is never-ending battle.
4. His car becomes the extension of his personality.
5. They are utterly selfish.
6. The society smiles on the motorists.
7. They accepted a code.
8. The driving test should be made far more difficult.
9. Safety specifications have been done in the USA.
10. The world is for human beings.
Television As It Is | Прочитайте діалог. Вивчіть і розіграйте діалог в парі зі своїм однокурсником. | Space Race | Сформулюйте головну думку кожного абзацу. | Прочитайте пропозиції. Визначте форму присудка. | Examinations | Прочитайте дані висловлювання і скажіть, які з них відповідають тексту. Підтвердіть свої висловлювання фактами з тексту. | Складіть анотацію тексту. | Co-education | Сформулюйте основну думку кожного абзацу. |