Головна

B) Give a summary of the story

1. APPENDIX 1 Summary of Tenses
  2. D) Give a summary of the text
  3. Give a summary of the text.
  4. Give a summary of the text.
  5. Give a summary of the text.
  6. Give the summary of text A according to your plan.

ХIII. Translate these sentences into English:

1. Что-то помешало мне пойти на прощальный ужин. 2. Лицо моего спутника показалось мне знакомым, я, должно быть, где-то видел его раньше. 3. Его критические статьи приносят молодым авторам большую пользу. 4. Рекомендательное письмо не произвело на директора никакого впечатления. 5. Он сам зарабатывает себе на жизнь с 16 лет. 6. Я сделал все возможное, чтобы помешать его отъезду. 7. Не читай при свете свечи, это очень вредно для глаз. 8. Справочное (information) бюро находится через два дома отсюда. 9. Он очень общительный человек. 10. За то, что ты не слушался, ты не получишь сегодня мороженого на сладкое. И. Не загораживай свет, я не могу разобрать, что здесь написано. 12. В былые времена московские улицы освещались газом. 13. Не завидуйте его заработку: если вы будете работать столько же, сколько работает он, вы будете зарабатывать не меньше. 14. Мы все были растроганы его прощальной речью.

XIV. Act out the scene:

"Where are you for?" the train conductor asked an old lady.

"You're very impertinent," snapped the old lady. "What business is it of yours where I am going? But if you must know, I am bound for Boston."

The conductor obligingly picked up her three bags, found her a seat in the Boston train and put the bags on the rack. As he left the carriage, the old lady leaned out of the window and cackled at him. "I guess I fooled you, you impertinent young man. I'm really going to Buffalo."

XV. Go over the text of Unit 8 again to discuss the following in class. Let someone agree or disagree and express their own opinion (see the Prompts suggested):

1. What kind of man is described in the character of Le Ros? Do you consider the character true to life or is it exaggerated? Which method of characterization does the author use, direct or indirect? (Prove your point.) 2. Is the story just an amusing anecdote or does it contain elements of social satire? (Prove your point) 3. Which lines and passages bear touches of humour? What type of humour prevails in the story? Compare the story with "How We Kept Mother's Day." Which of the two do you consider more amusing and why? Which is more true to life? Which raises more important problems? 4. What can you say about the language of the story? (Touch on: a) selection of words, b) syntax.)

Prompts: true enough; absolutely/exactly/quite; I couldn't agree more; yes, but surely you don't think; yes, but on the other hand; as I see it, in my view (opinion); personally I believe (I feel); I'd just like to say, the way I see it; if you ask me: it's like this; oh, surely not, Vd rather not say anything about.

118   119   120   121   122   123   124   125   126   127   128   129   130   131   132   133   Наступна

Британский характер | STUDIES OF WRITTEN ENGLISH | CURIOSITY QUIZ FOR EAGERS | SPEECH PATTERNS | EXERCISES | V. Think of short situations in which you can use these patterns. | VOCABULARY NOTES | NOTES ON STYLE | EXERCISES | B) Explain the difference between the synonyms within each pair. (See Notes on p. 18.) When in doubt, consult dictionaries. |

© 2016-2022  um.co.ua - учбові матеріали та реферати