Focus on Grammar
Object + InfinitiveObject + Participle
I asked Tom to help me. I saw her crossing the street.
He would like me to come. I want it explained.
They made me do it.
Complex Object is used after certain verbs:
1) denoting order, request (ask, tell, order, force, etc.)
The teacher told us to do this exercise.
викладач сказав нам зробити це вправа.
They forced us to agree with them.
вони змусили нас погодитися з ними.
2) denoting mental perception, thinking (think, consider, believe, expect, mean, know, etc.)
I consider him to be a good student.
Я вважаю, що він - Хороший студент
3) wish, want, like, dislike, hate, have (= allow), get (= make)
I want you to visit us tomorrow.
Я хочу, Щоб ви відвідали нас завтра.
After these 3 groups of verbs Infinitive of the Complex Object construction is used with "to".
4) after the verbs denoting sensual perception (feel, see, hear, watch, notice)
I heard her singing in the next room.
Я чула, як вона співає в сусідній кімнаті.
I heard her sing once.
Одного разу я чула, як вона співає.
Present Participle is used to stress a simultaneous action.
5) after let (надавати); make (змушувати).
Let me do it. Дозвольте мені зробити це.
I'll make you do it Я змушувас зробити це.
After these 2 groups of verbs Infinitive of the Complex Object construction is used without "to".
6) after find, imagine, fancy Participle I is used in the Complex Object construction.
They found me reading a newspaper. вони застали мене за читанням газети.
Fancy her doing it. Уяви, що вона робить це.
7) after believe, consider, feel, find, get, have, keep, leave, like, make, see, think, want, watch, should / would like Past Participle can be used in the Complex Object construction.
I want it done. Я хочу, щоб це було зроблено.
Get the papers typed.Скажи, щоб надрукували ці папери.
У технічній літературі Complex Object часто зустрічається з дієсловами to permit и to enable. Ця конструкція зазвичай перекладається непрямим доповненням в давальному відмінку (Infinitive Active):
The new equipment enables the operator to finish parts with more accuracy. - Нове обладнання дає можливість робітникові обробляти деталі з більшою точністю.
Якщо за дієсловами в складі Complex Object слід Infinitive Passive, то його треба переводити на активну форму безпосередньо після присудка, а іменник зробити його доповненням.
The new device enables the lathe to be used for a greater range of work .. Нове пристосування дає можливість використовувати верстат для виконання більшого числа операцій.
Exercise 1.Translate into Russian.
1. He heard someone call his name. 2. I expect this translation to have been finished by June. 3. He ordered dinner to be served at eight. 3.Your enthusiasm makes me feel young again. 5. His knowledge of English helped him find a good job. 6. I want you to follow my advice. 7. We did not expect them to have come earlier than we did. 8. When will you have your PC fixed? 9. We consider him to be an expert in physical chemistry. 10. Who made you think so? 11. Can you fancy him wearing this suit? 12. I except her to arrive in London on Saturday. 13. She let me persuage them to join us. 14. You may leave the plates unwahsed. We'll do them later. 15. Fancy meeting them here. 16. I will not have anything said against her. 17. We got the matters arranged very quickly.
Exercise 2.Paraphrase the following using a Complex Object with
an Infinitive, Participle I or Participle II.
1. He heard that someone called his name. 2. Mother used to watch how I was playing tennis. 3. I want that everything has been arranged by the time I come. 4. He hated it when people were impolite to him. 5. He thought he was fit for the job. 6. When we called for him, we found that he had already left. 7. He expected that his efforts would be paid back. 8. They heard how the woman said something. 9. People who knew her felt that she was a woman of strong will. 10. What I want is that you both should be happy.
Exercise 3.Use the correct forms of the infinitives in parenthesis.
1. We can assume the following principle (to be) rather true. 2. We know the third machine in the line (to be) a duplicate of the first one. 3. They supposed the new equipment (to double) the output since it was introduced. 4. The director found the workers (to discuss) the advantages of the new method of cold metal treatment. 5. I want this experiment (to continue). I believe it (to be) a success. 6. Application of the results of this experiment will enable us (to simplify) the casting process. 7. The author believes it (to state) in the earlier works of his colleagues that controlled-atmoshere furnaces may be employed to prevent the formation of scale. 8. They heard them (to argue) about the shortcomings of the invention. 9. I shall have this translation (to do). I have no time to do it myself.
Focus on Grammar | Education | Comprehension Check | Alloy Steels | Lexical Exercises | Exercise 5. More about word-building: Prefixes. | Focus on Grammar | Gerund перекладається на російську мову іменником, деепричастием, інфінітивом або цілим реченням. | Thanksgiving Day | Aluminum |