Exercise 1.There are some general statements about American immigration.
For each statement give as many details as you can (examples,
reasons, results, descriptions). Include only details directly
related to each statement.
1. There are changing factors in the pattern of immigration.
2. Earlier groups have suffered through some loss of their cultural heritage.
3. Immigrants have contributed much to the US economic development.
Exercise 2.Do you agree with the author of this article?
Give reasons for your point of view.
Exercise 3.Choose the word or phrase which best completes each
1. It had . . . implications for political development.
a) deep b) profound c) serious d) vague
2. I took a course in English with a(n) . . . to work as an interpretor.
a) intention b) purpose c) aim d) obstacle
3. The problems we . . . today are the direct result of your former mistakes.
a) come across b) meet c) face d) cope with
4. The society has no . . . of "rearing immigrants to a working age."
a) expenditures b) costs c) spendings d) finance
5. My former colleagues . . . me to take this course by promising a good job afterwards.
a) encourage b) advise c) consult d) impose
6. The government has spent $ 1 million on an advertising . . . to encourage energy conservation.
a) promotion b) operation c) enterprise d) campaign
7. It is . . . to work abroad without an official permission.
a) against regulations b) unloyal c) immoral d) illegal
8. It's only a small flat but it . . . my needs perfectly.
a) supplies b) fills c) meets d) settles
Curriculum Vitae. A Job Interview
A Curriculum Vitae (CV) is a kind of autobiography an applicant for a job should present. Usually the date of the last job is given before educational background.
Name: Patricia Flynch
Date of birth: 5 April 1968
Address: 11 High Street, Ramsgate EH3 2LM, Kent, England
1991 - 1994 Sheffield Silver-works, engineer
1986 - 1990 B. Eng (Honours), Imperial College of Science, Technology
1990 - 1991 London Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Diploma in
1994 to present National Trust Fund. In charge of relations with European
Windows and Excel user
Fluent French and fair German
Personal details: married, with one child
Exercise 1.Write your own CV, the CVs of your friends or parents.
Exercise 2.Here is a sample of a business interview. Learn it by heart
and make an interview of your own.
Interviewer: Who do you work for now, Ms Flynch?
Ms Flynch: The National Trust Fund.
Interviewer: How long have you worked for them?
Ms Flynch: I've worked for them for 3 years.
Interviewer: And what did you do before joining the National Trust?
Ms Flynch: I worked as an engineer for Sheffield silver-works.
Interviewer: Have you got any experience in organizing conferences?
Ms Flynch: Yes, I have actually. Why?
Interviewer: Your future job will require a lot of organizing meetings and
Exercise 4.Interview possible applicants for the following positions.
Make CVs which would suit the requirements.
Editor Sales Manager
up to 45 male, 25 - 40
degree in Linguistics University degree
PC trained PC trained
knowledge of Italian/English fluent English
over 5 years experience 3 years experience in sales
salary $ 500 + bonus salary $ 1000 + %
Silverware and Plate Industry | Lexical Exercises | Exercise 5. More about word -building: Adjectives. | Focus on Grammar | Pre- reading Task | Comprehension Check | Bronze and Brass | Task 1. | Exercise 5. More about word-building: Adverbs. | Simple to give to be given |